- "Missing? What do you mean Balfus is missing?"
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn to Brennonn
Balfus was a male Wookiee who lived on Kashyyyk some years before the Clone Wars. During Life Day, he was captured by Trandoshans hunters and held in captivity, along with other Wookiees and the Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, until the Jedi Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi and other Wookiee warriors came to save them. The Trandoshan hunters surrendered and returned the prisoners.
Balfus was a male Wookiee who lived on Kashyyyk, a planet in the Mid Rim Territories, before the Clone Wars, a war between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Somewhen between 44 and 32 BBY, before the Life Day celebrations began, Balfus was captured by Trandoshan hunters who took advantage of weakness of the Wookiees during Life Day. When the Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, who was on Kashyyyk with his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi to study the Wookiees, asked Brennonn, a Wookiee who lived in the same village as Balfus, where Balfus was, the Wookiee answered that he was missing. The Trandoshans later attacked the Wookiee village, capturing other Wookiees and Jinn himself.
The Wookiees were eventually freed, using a trick thought by Kenobi. Kenobi pretended to surrender to the Trandoshans, but he eventually freed his master Qui-Gon Jinn opening his cage with the Force and throwing his lightsaber at him. As Jinn was freed, other Wookiee warriors came to support the two Jedi. The hunters surrendered and released the Wookiees that were held captive.
Behind the scenes
Balfus was first mentioned in the comic story "Life Day," published in the comic book Star Wars Adventures 3 on February 3, 2021. The comic story was written by Michael Moreci and illustrated by Megan Levens and Charlie Kirchoff.
Notes and references
- "Life Day"—Star Wars Adventures 3
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- In "Life Day", where Balfus is solely mentioned, Obi-Wan Kenobi is Qui-Gon Jinn's padawan. Master & Apprenticeestablishes that Kenobi became Jinn's padawan when he was thirteen years old. Since Star Wars: Card Trader states he was born fifty-seven years before the Battle of Yavin, Kenobi became Jinn's padawan in 44 BBY. He remained so until Jinn's death, which occurred in 32 BBY according to Galactic Atlas.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- "Life Day Part 2"—Star Wars Adventures 4