- "Missing? What do you mean Balfus is missing?"
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn, to Brennonn
Balfus was a Wookiee male who lived on the planet Kashyyyk sometime between 44 BBY and 32 BBY. During the preparations for Life Day, an important Wookiee festivity, he was taken by Trandoshan hunters and held in captivity along with other Wookiees and Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn. The Wookiees and Jinn were eventually saved by Jinn's Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, with help from other Wookiees, resulting in the Trandoshan hunters surrendering and returning the prisoners.
- "No, it isn't like him or any Wookiee, to be away from their family on Life Day."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn, on Balfus going missing
Balfus was a Wookiee male who lived on Kashyyyk, a planet in the Mid Rim's Mytaranor sector, sometime between 44 BBY and 32 BBY. In the lead-up to Life Day, an important Wookiee festivity, Trandoshan hunters took advantage of the Wookiees' weakness during the holiday to capture Balfus. Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn—who was on Kashyyyk with his Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, to study the Wookiees—asked Brennonn, a Wookiee who lived in the same village as Balfus, of the latter's whereabouts; Brennonn replied that he was missing. The Trandoshans later attacked the Wookiee village, capturing other Wookiees and Jinn himself.
The Wookiees were eventually freed by Kenobi, who first freed Jinn by opening his cage with the Force and throwing his Master's lightsaber to him. As Jinn was freed, other Wookiee warriors arrived to support the two Jedi. The hunters then surrendered and released the captive Wookiees.
Behind the scenes
Balfus was mentioned in the comic story "Life Day," published in the third issue of the Star Wars Adventures comic book on February 3, 2021. The comic story was written by Michael Moreci and illustrated by Megan Levens and Charlie Kirchoff and was the first of a two-part story that continued with "Life Day Part 2" in the fourth issue on March 24, 2021.
Notes and references
- "Life Day"—Star Wars Adventures (2020) 3
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- In "Life Day," Obi-Wan Kenobi is Qui-Gon Jinn's Padawan. Master & Apprentice establishes that Kenobi became Jinn's Padawan when the pupil was thirteen years old. Since states that Kenobi was born fifty-seven years before the Battle of Yavin, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places in 0 BBY, he must have become Jinn's Padawan in 44 BBY. He remained Jinn's Padawan until the latter's death, which occurred in 32 BBY according to Galactic Atlas. Therefore, the events of "Life Day" must have taken place sometime between 44 BBY and 32 BBY.
- "Life Day Part 2"—Star Wars Adventures (2020) 4