Barada was a Klatooinian who served the crime lord Jabba the Hutt before 0 BBY, and would continue to serve Jabba up to four years after the Battle of Yavin. When Jabba attempted to execute a group of Rebels at the Great Pit of Carkoon on the planet Tatooine, Barada was one of the crime lord's minions who traveled with the prisoners to the pit. At the execution, however, the Rebels fought to free themselves, and in the struggle the Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker slashed Barada with his lightsaber and killed the Klatooinian.
The Klatooinian Barada was enslaved to the Hutt crime lord Jabba Desilijic Tiure four years after the Battle of Yavin. He worked as a mechanic in Jabba's Palace on Tatooine, and was responsible for the gangster's pool of repulsorlift vehicles, which included his sail barge Khetanna, in addition to serving as muscle. Despite his enforced servitude, Barada remained relatively content with his lot in the palace.
Barada was in the Hutt's employ when Jabba was in possession of the smuggler Han Solo frozen in carbonite. Solo's companions in the Alliance to Restore the Republic hoped to rescue their comrade, planting some of their number in Jabba's court: Princess Leia Organa, and then Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker, both attempted to free Solo, but ended up Jabba's captives along with the Wookiee Chewbacca. After Jabba's rancor failed to kill Skywalker, the crime lord demanded that Solo, Skywalker and Chewbacca all be executed at the Great Pit of Carkoon, where they would be fed to the sarlacc. Barada was among the henchmen Jabba assigned to ride in a secondary skiff, to travel alongside the skiff carrying the prisoners to the pit. Once at the pit, Skywalker's astromech droid R2-D2, who was serving in Jabba's court, armed the Jedi with his lightsaber, which he used to quickly slay all of the henchmen on the skiff with him. The Jedi then leaped across to the vehicle carrying Barada, and killed a number of the men on it before the Klatooinian attacked him. Skywalker dodged the blow and slashed at Barada, knocking him into the pit of the sarlacc. The Rebels went on to slay Jabba and destroy his sail barge, killing many other members of his court in the process and escaping. Barada was killed by Skywalker's green lightsaber. Languishing in the Pit of Carkoon, Barada would be slowly digested by the sarlacc over the next thousand years.
Personality and traits
Behind the scenes
- "Gort, Klaatu barada nikto. Klaatu barada nikto."
- ―Helen Benson (played by Patricia Neal) in the film The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
Barada first appeared in James Kahn's novelization of the 1983 film Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, the final installment of the Star Wars original trilogy. He was played uncredited by stuntman Dirk Yohan Beer. Concept sketches on him were drawn, and later maquettes were crafted. Barada was executed as a costume made of a slip-on mask and gloves representing hands. Several "Barada-like" aliens were crafted for the scene of the sarlacc.
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Barada)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 19 (Weapons & Uniforms: Jabba's Skiff Guards)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- The Art of Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season One
- "Battle of Hoth and the Second Death Star" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian: Making of Season Two