- "In the following passage, a Ho'Din named Baji […] describes his unique cultural reaction to an ecological disaster on a world called Barenth—a place he had visited to research healing remedies."
- ―The Essential Guide to Alien Species
Barenth was an Expansion Region world located in the Drannik sector. During the Waymancy Storm of 7811 BBY, its civilian population saw a near complete evacuation by the Galactic Republic as part of the defense of the world against the Signatories of Waymancy, with the Republic losing an entire battle group during the effort.
By the time of the New Republic millennia later, the Ho'Din Baji visited an ancient laboratory on Barenth while an ecological disaster was occurring there. The healer eventually resolved to take up permanent residence at the ruins of the laboratory to attempt to reverse the effects of the disaster there.
Barenth was a terrestrial world located in the Barenth system. It was a part of the Expansion Region's Drannik sector, being located both in the Outer Expansion Zone sub-region and the Northern Dependencies portion of that region.
- "The ancient laboratory around me crumbled
The ground shook and the buildings tumbled. […]
Later I returned for an investigation
And found the grounds and plants filled with radiant contamination."
- ―A passage by Baji included in The Essential Guide to Alien Species
During the Waymancy Storm of 7811 BBY, the Galactic Republic mounted a defense of Barenth against its enemy, the Signatories of Waymancy. During the engagement, almost the entire civilian population of the world was evacuated, although the effort cost the Republic an entire battle group. At a speech delivered on the 25th anniversary of Victory in the Waymancy Storm in 7786 BBY, the Republic's Supreme Chancellor Nagratha noted the defense of Barenth as one of the bloodiest events of the Waymancy Storm.
Barenth fell within the borders of the New Republic between 12 ABY and 13 ABY. By the time of the reign of that government, an ancient laboratory consisting of multiple buildings and containing unique specimens of plants and seeds was located on Barenth. During that time, the Ho'Din healer Baji visited the laboratory with the intent of researching healing remedies.
Baji's visit to the Barenth facility coincided with an ecological disaster on the world, with a groundquake damaging the laboratory. During the quake, Baji quickly obtained the plants and seeds necessary for his research and left the facility. Upon his return to investigate the laboratory, the Ho'Din discovered that the facility grounds and plants located there had been tainted by a radiant contamination. Due to his sympathy for the damaged plants—and the species-wide veneration the Ho'Din exhibited for plants—Baji resolved to inhabit the Barenth laboratory for the rest of his life in order to attempt to heal the plants therein. Baji's visit to Barenth was later noted in the book The Essential Guide to Alien Species, which was based on the notes of Senior Anthropologist Mammon Hoole.
- "The Republic defense of Barenth allowed a near-complete civilian evacuation at the cost of an entire battle group and its personnel, who never flinched in the face of their duty."
- ―Supreme Chancellor Nagratha
Barenth was home to a civilian population aligned with the Galactic Republic. During the Waymancy Storm, the Republic largely evacuated the civilians from the world. When the Ho'Din Baji visited Barenth by the time of the reign of the New Republic, he resolved to take up permanent residence there.
Behind the scenes
Barenth was introduced in the 2001 reference book The Essential Guide to Alien Species by Ann Margaret Lewis. The 2009 reference book The Essential Atlas placed the Barenth system, and therefore the celestial body itself, in grid square K-8.
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species (First mentioned)
- The Essential Atlas
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
Notes and references
- Barenth system, and therefore the celestial body itself, in grid square K-8 as part of the Expansion Region's Drannik sector. The Essential Atlas designates the Expansion Region section of that grid square as part of the Northern Dependencies. In addition, places the Drannik sector in the portion of the Expansion Region between the Mondress and Lostar sectors. Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters establishes both Mondress and Lostar sectors to be a part of the Outer Expansion Zone, which the Star Wars: Force and Destiny Core Rulebook further defines as a sub-region located in the northern section of the Expansion Region. Therefore, Barenth must also be a part of the Outer Expansion Zone. places the
- The Essential Atlas — Based on corresponding data for Barenth system
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The Essential Guide to Warfare