A battalion was a large military unit of ground troops. Both the armies of the Confederacy of Independent Systems and the Grand Army of the Galactic Republic deployed battalions of troops during the Clone Wars. A single Republic regiment was composed of four battalions, and furthermore, those battalions were made up of four companies.In the Stormtrooper Corps, a battalion consisted of four companies, giving one a total of 800 stormtroopers. A regiment consisted of four Imperial battalions.
The Imperial Army also made use of heavy battalions, which made use of armored cavalry such as All Terrain Armored Transports, Imperial Troop Transports, and All Terrain Defense Pods. Imperial Grand Admiral Thrawn's armored division included heavy battalions, and used them during the Battle of Atollon.
The terms could also be used in the context of starfighter combat. A battalion of RZ-2 A-wing interceptors used by Sef Con were involved in a battle at Substation Grimdock in 7 ABY, and the First Order deployed a TIE fighter battalion against the Resistance in a skirmish over D'Qar.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: A Galaxy at War
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 15 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Grand Army of the Republic)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 22 (Helmets: In Pictures; Highlights of the Saga: The Battle of Geonosis)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 25 (Helmets: Commander Cody; Helmets: In Pictures; Highlights of the Saga: Intrigue on Utapau)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – ARC-170 Starfighter Expansion Pack (Card: )
- Collapse of the Republic
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – LAAT/i Gunship Expansion Pack (Card: )