- "It's a trap!"
"…No, it's an opportunity!"
- ―Members of the Koros force, after sighting the Sith fleet
The Battle at Primus Goluud was waged high above the star Primus Goluud during the Great Hyperspace War in 5000 BBY, between Empress Teta's forces and the Sith Empire of Dark Lord of the Sith Naga Sadow. During the earlier Battle of Koros Major, Sith commander Gav Daragon was confronted by his sister, Jori Daragon, over the death of their acquaintance Aarrba the Hutt. Overcome by emotion, Gav left and traveled to the Primus Goluud system, where Sadow was sequestered in his Sith Meditation Sphere creating Force illusions to aid the Sith war effort. Daragon, wanting to end the violence of the war, fired on the Meditation Sphere, damaging it. However, Sadow requested Daragon to go to the damaged sphere to face him man-to-man, an offer Daragon accepted—only to find he had been tricked and Sadow had trapped him there. Daragon frantically transmitted vital strategic information to Teta's forces from the sphere, hoping to aid in a Galactic Republic victory in the war; the Republic fleet quickly arrived. However, Sadow's forces reappeared in the system soon afterward, led by Sadow's flagship, the Corsair. Laser fire erupted between the two sides, although Sadow had a trick up his sleeve; Sadow used a secret weapon to trigger Primus Goluud's solar flares, destroying the sphere and killing Daragon, though not before the Koros forces were able to escape.
- "Maybe that'll break his concentration!"
- ―Gav Daragon, after firing on Naga Sadow's meditation sphere
In 5000 BBY, Dark Lord of the Sith Naga Sadow, the expansionist ruler of the long-isolated Sith Empire, gathered an invasion force and attacked the Galactic Republic. The Sith strategy in the Great Hyperspace War, as it came to be called, was to launch a two-pronged attack—one part of the Sith force attacked Coruscant, the capital of the Republic, while the other part attacked the Koros system, with two battles occurring on the planets Kirrek and Koros Major. While all this happened, Sadow retreated in his Sith Meditation Sphere to the remote Primus Goluud system, where he was deep in concentration supplementing the Sith forces with his dark side Force illusions. Meanwhile, on Koros Major, Gav Daragon, commander of the Sith effort on the planet, took a dropship down to the planet to try and find his sister, Jori Daragon, amidst the battle. During his search, Daragon got into an altercation with an old acquaintance, Aarrba the Hutt, resulting in the Hutt's death. Jori Daragon arrived on the scene at that moment, and confronted her brother about Aarrba's death; overcome by emotion, Gav fled.
Gav decided to go to the Primus Goluud system and confront Sadow, hoping to end the war in one swift stroke. Daragon fired on Sadow's Sith Meditation Sphere, breaking his concentration and causing the disappearance of his illusions. Sadow then sent Daragon a message, asking him to come to the Meditation Sphere and face him man-to-man. Daragon accepted, and took his personal shuttle across to the sphere. However, when Daragon arrived on the sphere, he found it empty; Sadow had deserted it and stranded him there, in orbit around the system's red supergiant star, Primus Goluud. Frantic, Daragon used the sphere's still-working comm system to contact his sister and Empress Teta, the ruler of the Koros system. Their forces quickly arrived, instructing Daragon to surrender and prepare to be boarded; in response, Daragon renounced the Sith Empire and told them that the Empire was unguarded; information that could help them seal a victory against the Sith.
- "A Dark Lord of the Sith does not give up so easily!"
- ―Naga Sadow
However, at that moment, the remnants of Sadow's battered fleet were recalled, gathering in the Primus Goluud system. Sadow boasted that a Dark Lord of the Sith would not give up so easily; although the Koros forces were at first surprised, they saw it as an opportunity to do a great deal of damage to the Sith force. Laser fire ensued between the two sides, and Sadow, aboard his flagship, the Derriphan-class battleship Corsair, used a secret weapon to trigger the unstable red star's solar flares. With the flares threatening to kill them all, Daragon warned his sister and the rest of the Koros forces to flee, and transmitted the coordinates of the Sith Empire to them. The Sith left to return to their homes, and Empress Teta gave the order to follow Daragon's coordinates back to the Sith Empire. The Sith Meditation Sphere containing Gav Daragon was destroyed, killing him.
- "Goodbye, Jori."
- ―Gav Daragon's last words
With Daragon's coordinates in hand, Teta's forces followed Sadow back to the Sith Empire and handed him a final defeat at the second battle of Korriban. Sadow was forced to fake his death and flee to the faraway moon of Yavin 4. After Gav Daragon's death in the Battle of Primus Goluud, Jori Daragon took over operations of Aarrba's Repair Dock, the business that the late Aarrba the Hutt had owned in Cinnagar, the capital city of Koros Major, in Gav's memory.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Battle at Primus Goluud was an event occurring in Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire, a story arc of the Tales of the Jedi comic book series, written by Kevin J. Anderson and released in 1996. The battle took place over several pages of the arc's fourth issue, The Dogs of War. A galactic history entry in the in-game Codex of the video game Star Wars: The Old Republic was the first to provide a name for the battle.
- Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire 4: The Dogs of War (First appearance)
- Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire 5: End of an Empire (Mentioned only)
- Lost Tribe of the Sith: Precipice (Mentioned only)
- Lost Tribe of the Sith: Savior (Mentioned only)
- Timeline 12: The Great Hyperspace War (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Codex entry) (First identified as Battle at Primus Goluud)
- Darth Bane: Path of Destruction (Mentioned only)
- Darth Plagueis (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia (Indirect mention only)
- The Dark Side Sourcebook (Indirect mention only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire 4: The Dogs of War
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire 5: End of an Empire
- ↑ Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire 3: First Encounter
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Galactic History 28: The Battle at Primus Goluud"