- "Your handmaidens are trained to protect you. Let me show you."
"I want to be trained too."
- ―Captain Panaka and Queen Padmé Amidala, as the latter viewed her handmaidens' battle dresses
Battle dresses were clothing worn Monarch of Naboo and her handmaidens to engage in combat. During Padmé Amidala's reign as the Queen of Naboo, they were worn as training uniforms by her handmaidens. When Captain Quarsh Panaka, the leader of Amidala's security forces, suggested that she observe her handmaidens during their combat training, Amidala decided to participate by disguising herself in the same maroon and gold training uniform.
During the invasion by the Trade Federation, the handmaidens' battle dresses were worn by Amidala and four of her handmaidens while the Queen's decoy, Sabé, wore the royal red and black battle dress.
Behind the scenes
Battle dresses were created for the 1999 prequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. The costumes were first identified as battle dress in the junior novelization, written by Patricia C. Wrede and released May 3 of the same year. The designs were conceptualized by artist Iain McCaig and the finished costumes were realized by costume designer Trisha Biggar and her department. McCaig's initial concept featured straps across the belly, but they were removed from subsequent concepts as they would be awkward and uncomfortable to wear in reality.
Hasbro Inc. created an action figure and a doll of Sabé in her battle dress, though the latter's packaging purported to be one of Queen Amidala herself. They also created multiple action figures of Padmé in hers.
- A Queen's Diary
- Star Wars Episode I Journal: Queen Amidala
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace unabridged audiobook
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace junior novelization (First identified as battle dress)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Episode I: The Phantom Menace Movie Storybook
- Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace 3
- Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace 4
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace video game
- Episode I: Anakin Skywalker (title page only)
- Episode I: Qui-Gon Jinn (title page only)
- Episode I: Queen Amidala (title page only)
- Episode I: Obi-Wan Kenobi (title page only)
- Star Wars Episode I: I Am a Queen
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace Scrapbook (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Making of Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- "All Hail the Queen"—Star Wars Insider 44
- The Art of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- Secrets of Naboo
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 110 (GAR9–10, Garments and Couture)
- Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars
- Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary