- "Anakin. Were you able to contact Master Luminara?"
"Yes, Master. She's busy with a fleet of Separatist reinforcements nearby. She won't be able to give us support until she's turned them away."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker
A battle took place near the Kaliida Nebula in 22 BBY during the Clone Wars. Senior Jedi General Luminara Unduli engaged Confederate reinforcements that had been dispatched to aid the Confederate warship Malevolence, which had suffered damage after a Galactic Republic assault nearby the nebula. Unduli and her fleet were able to successfully dispatch her opponents.
Prelude[edit | edit source]
- "Our bombers will attack at high speed to avoid the enemy's ion weapon. We'll concentrate our firepower on the bridge superstructure, here. We destroy Grievous, we can bring the war to a quicker end."
- ―Anakin Skywalker briefs Shadow Squadron on a plan to counterattack the Malevolence
In 22 BBY, the first year of the Clone Wars, Jedi General Anakin Skywalker of the Galactic Republic planned an assault on the Confederate Subjugator-class heavy cruiser Malevolence with the Republic Navy unit known as Shadow Squadron. Meanwhile, the Confederate Head of State Count Dooku ordered General Grievous—the commander of the Malevolence—to target the Republic's secret Outer Rim medical center, which was located near the Kaliida Nebula and was treating over 60,000 wounded Republic clone troopers.
Skywalker and Shadow Squadron were able to intercept the warship before it could destroy the medical base. Damage to the Malevolence's massive ion pulse cannons caused them to explode, inflicting further damage to the warship. Several Republic Venator-class Star Destroyers arrived under the command of High Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi and Admiral Wullf Yularen, and the cruisers initiated an assault on the Malevolence. Unable to retreat to hyperspace because of damage to the warship's hyperdrive, Grievous was forced to call in reinforcements.
The battle[edit | edit source]
A Confederate fleet was dispatched to aid the fleeing Malevolence and prevent the warship's destruction at the hands of the Republic Navy forces. However, Senior Jedi General Luminara Unduli intercepted the Confederate armada with a fleet of her own and engaged the enemy fleet in battle. Skywalker contacted Unduli, seeking reinforcements for the continued attack on the Malevolence. Unduli informed Skywalker of her situation, but despite her inability to provide immediate assistance to comrade, she still planned to help his forces once she had dispatched her opponents. Unduli was later able to defeat the Confederate reinforcements.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- Unduli: "Another bold strategy by Skywalker, I presume?"
- Tano: "That's my Master."
- Koon: "Once they make it off that ship, we'll need reinforcements to finish off the enemy."
- Unduli: "I'm on my way, Master Plo."
- ―Luminara Unduli reports to Plo Koon and Ahsoka Tano that she is on her way[src]
During the course of the Republic's attack on the Malevolence, Senator Padmé Amidala was tricked into traveling to the battlefield. Upon her arrival, she was pulled aboard the Malevolence, as Grievous intended to use her as a hostage to guarantee his and the warship's escape. Skywalker and Kenobi boarded the Malevolence to rescue Amidala, while Jedi General Plo Koon and Commander Ahsoka Tano—who had accompanied Skywalker and Shadow Squadron to the nebula—contacted Unduli via holotransmission for support against the Malevolence. Once Amidala had been rescued, Koon's fleet would need reinforcements to destroy the Confederate warship. Unduli promised her support, heading over to the nearby Republic armada. Skywalker was able to sabotage the warship's navicomputer, and he escaped the warship with Kenobi and Amidala. Before Unduli arrived with her reinforcements, the Malevolence attempted to jump to hyperspace, and Skywalker's sabotage caused the warship to crash into a nearby moon.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The battle near the Kaliida Nebula was first mentioned in "Destroy Malevolence," an episode in the 2008 first season of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series. The battle featured the introduction of Jedi Master Luminara Unduli, although she only appeared in a hologram during the episode. The battle only received a brief mention in dialogue, not appearing in the episode itself.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow of Malevolence"
- "Republic HoloNet News Core Edition 14:4:14"—Star Wars Insider 67
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destroy Malevolence"
- The Clone Wars: Secret Missions 1: Breakout Squad
- The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 24 (22 BBY 87–88, The Malevolence Campaign)
- During "Destroy Malevolence," after Anakin Skywalker reports that Luminara Unduli has engaged Confederate forces nearby, Unduli later informs Plo Koon that she is on her way to reinforce the Republic forces at the Kaliida Nebula. It is therefore assumed that Unduli was able to successfully dispatch the Confederate forces in her area.
- The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 54 (UND3–4, Calm and Conflict)
- The Clone Wars: Agenda