- "A true leader always leads from the front."
- ―Jedi General Anakin Skywalker
The Battle of Arantara was an engagement fought in 22 BBY on the astronomical object Arantara during the ongoing Clone Wars between the Confederacy of Independent Systems and Galactic Republic. Jedi General Anakin Skywalker and Clone Captain CT-7567 "Rex" participated in the battle, with the latter becoming injured in the fighting.
- "You…came for me."
"It should have been me who went in the first place."
- ―Captain Rex and General Anakin Skywalker
The battle for the astronomical object Arantara was fought in 22 BBY, during the early period of the galaxy-wide Clone Wars between the Confederacy of Independent Systems and Galactic Republic. Clone Captain CT-7567 "Rex" and Jedi General Anakin Skywalker of the elite 501st Legion took part in the battle.
During the battle, Rex fought with merit and led his troops to the frontline without Skywalker, but he was wounded and knocked unconscious. By the time Rex regained consciousness, his armor was damaged. Hidden behind cover in a rocky terrain, the clone awoke to Skywalker standing over him, the Jedi having come to rescue his captain and apologize for not leading their soldiers into the fray; Skywalker told Rex that a real leader always led at the front.
- "'A true leader always leads from the front.'"
"Whosa told you dat?"
- ―Captain Rex and Junior Representative Jar Jar Binks during the Battle of Mimban
The Battle of Arantara became one of the many battles Rex fought with excellence in. During a battle on the Expansion Region planet Mimban, Rex remembered Skywalker's lesson, using the example to fight battle droids alone while his clone troopers evacuated. After he was saved from B1-series units by Junior Representative Jar Jar Binks, Rex explained his philosophy, noting that a friend had given him the lesson.
Behind the scenes
The Battle of Arantara appeared in "501 Plus One," a comic story printed in Age of Republic Special 1, which was published on January 16, 2019. "501 Plus One" was written by Marc Guggenheim and illustrated by Caspar Wijngaard. The capitalization of the battle's name was later confirmed in The Star Wars Book, a 2020 reference book written by Pablo Hidalgo, Cole Horton, and Dan Zehr.
- The Star Wars Book (First identified as Battle of Arantara)
Notes and references
- Brotherhood shows that the rescue of Ruug Quarnom occurs immediately after Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi receive the clothing they have adopted by the time of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars series. As Skywalker is depicted in that clothing in the flashback to the Battle of Arantara seen in "501 Plus One," the battle must occur after the rescue on Cato Neimoidia featured within Brotherhood.
- "501 Plus One" depicts Anakin Skywalker without a scar during the Battle of Arantara, while Star Wars Adventures: The Clone Wars – Battle Tales 1 depicts Skywalker with his scar during the mission to Benglor. Therefore, the Battle of Arantara must have occurred prior to that mission.
- "501 Plus One" depicts the Battle of Arantara as occurring after the start of the Clone Wars but before Anakin Skywalker received his scar, which "Cat and Mouse" establishes he had received by the time of the Battle of Christophsis. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the start of the war and the Battle of Christophsis to 22 BBY, the Battle of Arantara must occur in that year as well.
- "501 Plus One"—Age of Republic Special 1
- Battle of Christophsis occurred early in the Clone Wars. As the Battle of Arantara occurred after the start of the war but before the Battle of Christophsis, as "Cat and Mouse" shows that Anakin Skywalker had gained his scar by that battle, the Battle of Arantara must also occur early in the conflict. (Slide 2) establishes that the
- The Star Wars Book
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide