- "I wonder how many they'll send. We've got so much firepower in here, these walls are ray-shielded. They can't take this fort. It'll probably be, uh, fifty Jedi. They'll need at least that many. Huh, maybe a hundred Jedi! They'll never take this base with less. Ha, they'll need an army of Jedi!"
- ―Oro Dassyne
In the third year of the Clone Wars, a battle took place on the planet Bomis Koori IV. As a Corporate Alliance–controlled world, Bomis Koori IV was overseen by Alliance member and Confederate General Oro Dassyne, who maintained a ray shielded fort on the planet. The Galactic Republic dispatched a fleet of eight Venator-class Star Destroyers, led by Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker, to invade the planet. Dassyne, expecting a large Jedi force to attack his ordnance-filled fort, only witnessed a number of Star Destroyers closing in on his location. After ARC-170 starfighters departed the Star Destroyers and began firing on Dassyne's forces, Skywalker and Kenobi infiltrated the fort and deactivated its protective ray shield, rendering it vulnerable to an attack. The Republic fleet subsequently concentrated its firepower on the facility, and Dassyne was killed during the ensuing firefight.
The planet Bomis Koori IV was important to the Corporate Alliance's defense of surrounding star systems. After being assigned to Bomis Koori IV sometime during the Clone Wars, the Confederate General and Alliance member Oro Dassyne increased the number of defensive weaponry throughout a ray shielded fort that he maintained on the planet. In 20 BBY, Dassyne himself believed that the Galactic Republic would send an army of Jedi to attack his fortified fort. Unbeknownst to Dassyne, a fleet of eight Venator-class Star Destroyers, led by High General Obi-Wan Kenobi and General Anakin Skywalker, was dispatched by the Republic to capture Bomis Koori IV. Without betraying their presence to Dassyne's forces, Kenobi and Skywalker landed on the world, mounted on separate creatures, and headed for Dassyne's fort, while the Star Destroyers themselves moved upon the fort from the planet's atmosphere.
- "I have a visual."
"I think so."
- ―A battle droid and Dassyne
Stationed in Dassyne's fort, a B1 battle droid spotted Kenobi and Skywalker approaching the fort and alerted Dassyne, who was surprised to see only two Jedi Knights. As the Venator-class Star Destroyers descended from the planet's atmosphere, a number of ARC-170 starfighters were deployed from the cruisers and began to fire on Dassyne's forces. After dismounting from their creatures, Kenobi and Skywalker made short work of B2 super battle droids with their lightsabers. Despite Dassyne's belief that his fort could resist a takeover, Kenobi and Skywalker avoided the fort's defensive weaponry batteries and infiltrated the facility. Once inside, the Jedi disabled the structure's ray shield, rendering the fortress and all forces within vulnerable to an attack. The ARC-170s, as well as the Star Destroyers, directed their firepower at the crippled fort, which resulted in the death of Dassyne.
Behind the scenesEdit
The battle of Bomis Koori IV first appeared in the twenty-second chapter of the Star Wars: Clone Wars television series, which aired on March 22, 2005. The origins of the battle was later expanded in Oro Dassyne's Databank entry on StarWars.com. In 2006, the battle was given a short mention in The New Essential Guide to Alien Species. With the release of The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia in December 2008, the battle received brief mentions in the compendium's entries on Bomis Koori IV and Dassyne, and in the following year, it was mentioned in The Essential Atlas.
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Chee, Leland Y. (2005-03-29). Star Wars: Message Boards: EU Leadup to Revenge of the Sith (English) (Online forum). StarWars.com Message Boards. StarWars.com. Archived from the original on June 16, 2010. Retrieved on January 16, 2012.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 Star Wars: Clone Wars – "Chapter 22"
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 84 ("Bomis Koori IV")
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 172 ("Dassyne, General Oro")