- "We're outgunned. We're not going to last a mynock minute out here."
- ―Ahsoka Tano
The Galactic Republic's had suffered multiple defeats by the Confederate General Grievous, which was weakening the Republic's foothold in the the galaxy's Outer Rim. Among the loss of the battle group at Falleen, Grievous's fleet moved to take the strategic planet Bothawui. Jedi Knight/General Anakin Skywalker, his Padawan Ahsoka Tano, and their task force of three Venator-class Star Destroyers were then assigned to protect and hold the world of Bothawui. However, Jedi Council member Obi-Wan Kenobi urged Skywalker to retreat and regroup, knowing that Grievous was coming. In addition spies had alerted the Separatist general to the presence of the Jedi cruisers beyond the planetary rings. Despite being outnumbered, Skywalker had devised a plan.
Grievous, reasoning that an attack from above would render his ships susceptible to enemy fire, ordered his fleet moved in to attack by approaching through Bothawui's asteroid belt, which, in addition to transferring power to his forward shields, protected his ships from Skywalker's fleet. When they got in range of Skywalker's fleet, Grievous' fleet opened fire, disabling the nearest of the three cruisers. Skywalker, flying as Gold Leader, commanded Gold Squadron as they took on Grievous' fleet. After losing several fighters, Skywalker ordered Gold Squadron to take evasive action and retreat. However, Skywalker continued to participate and the battle and then unveiled his surprise to Grievous. Ahsoka then signaled Captain CT-7567 and his AT-TEs that had been positioned on the asteroids to open fire on Grievous' fleet from their rear.
Working together Skywalker and Rex's AT-TEs were able to outflank and destroy Grievous's fleet. Sensing the momentum of the battle had changed, Grievous decided to retreat; however his droid captain inquired as to where. With the opporrtunity to escape lost, the general then took his personal starfighter, the Soulless One and flew himself away from the battle. Skywalker attempted to pursue him, but his fighter was damaged and incapacitated in the meteor field.
Skywalker was then saved by Rex. However, R2 was lost and presumed destroyed.
Behind the scenesEdit
Early in the Battle, when Grievous enters, two battle droids are seated in front of the viewport, but later the chair at the right of General Grievous is empty. As the battle continues, a battle droid can clearly be seen at Grievous's right, but what model of battle droid this is is unclear. As they appear in Downfall of a Droid, OOM pilot battle droids can be distinguished from B1 battle droids by, in addition to their blue markings, several small marks and darker lines on their head. A battle droid with these darker markings and a mark on its head maybe appearing to be right of Grievous in the battle, and this would indicate it is a pilot droid, but later it is replaced by a B1.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence" (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duel of the Droids" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bombad Jedi" (Appears in flashback(s))
- (Indirect mention only)
- (First identified as Battle of Bothawui)
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 1.33 1.34 1.35 1.36 1.37 1.38 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Supply Lines"
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas