- "The rebellion is reborn today. The war is just beginning, and I will not be the last Jedi."
- ―Luke Skywalker
The Battle of Crait, also known as the siege of Crait, was a major battle fought in 34 ABY during the war between the First Order and the Resistance. Shortly after the Resistance's victory at Starkiller Base, the Battle of Crait was the result of the First Order's counterattack, which had decimated the Resistance forces. Unable to escape the First Order Navy, the Resistance, led by General Leia Organa, fled to a former Rebel outpost on the salt-covered planet Crait, hoping to go unnoticed. However, the First Order became aware of the Resistance's plan and deployed their military forces to the planet's surface.
Led by the newly self-appointed Supreme Leader Kylo Ren and General Armitage Hux, the First Order deployed a superlaser siege cannon, planning to break through the massive door which protected the outpost. The Resistance, limited in numbers, had planned to hold out in the base until more allies arrived, but in response to the First Order cannon, the remaining Resistance troops utilized V-4X-D ski speeders to attack the weapon. The Resistance airspeeders faced many losses against the TIE/fo space superiority fighters of the First Order, but when the light freighter Millennium Falcon arrived to help the Resistance, Ren redirected the TIE fighters to pursue the starship. Although the Resistance ski speeders were no longer targeted by the TIE fighters, their efforts were unsuccessful, and the siege cannon fired upon the outpost.
With the base vulnerable and no reinforcements responding to their call, the Resistance lost hope, until Organa's brother, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, appeared before them as a Force projection through the Force. Buying time for the Resistance to escape, Skywalker exited the outpost to face Ren in a lightsaber duel. As Skywalker confronted Ren, Captain Poe Dameron led the Resistance through the caves of Crait, hoping to find a natural exit. When Ren realized he was fighting Skywalker's projection, the apparition disappeared, and Ren led his stormtroopers into the base. The First Order stormed the outpost, but with Skywalker having distracted the First Order for an ample amount of time, the Resistance survivors escaped with Rey and Chewbacca aboard the Millennium Falcon, inspiring rebellion across the galaxy.
- "Get all our forces down to that Resistance base. Let's finish this."
- ―Supreme Leader Kylo Ren, to General Armitage Hux
Following the Resistance's major victory in destroying Starkiller Base, the Resistance abandoned their base on D'Qar after the First Order invaded the Ileenium system. While the Resistance was searching the galaxy for a new base of operations, General Armitage Hux tracked the Resistance fleet through hyperspace and gave chase through space. Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo eventually sacrificed herself and her cruiser to allow the remaining Resistance fighters to escape to the planet Crait in the Crait system.
Arrival at the baseEdit
- "They're coming, shut the door."
- ―Leia Organa
The remaining members of the Resistance landed and reactivated the old Rebel base. Finn, Rose Tico and BB-8 later crash-landed at the base in a Xi-class light shuttle after escaping the damaged First Order flagship Supremacy, initially being shot at by the Resistance soldiers in the confusion. General Leia Organa called upon their allies across the Outer Rim Territories for reinforcements as the group prepared the base's defenses, including several laser turrets and V-4X-D ski speeders. Meanwhile, the First Order—now under the command of Supreme Leader Kylo Ren—deployed their own forces, landing eleven AT-M6s, two AT-ATs, one Upsilon-class command shuttle, several TIE fighters and AT-STs, and a superlaser siege cannon towed by a pair of AT-HHs to break through the base's massive steel door. The walkers were deployed in a Veers Formation and the forces mobilized.
The battle beginsEdit
- "All right, listen up. I don't like these rust buckets and I don't like our odds, but...just keep it tight and don't get drawn in too close till they roll that cannon out front."
- ―Captain Poe Dameron, to "Reb" Squadron
The Resistance launched all of their remaining forces, firing heavy artillery and dispatching thirteen of the old V-4X-D ski speeders to knock out the superlaser, led by Captain Poe Dameron. The First Order walkers and TIE fighters returned fire and the battle began. The Resistance suffered heavy losses from the combined ground and air assaults. The Millennium Falcon, piloted by Chewbacca and Rey, arrived unexpectedly and attacked the TIE fighters, drawing them away from the battlefield and ultimately destroying all of them.
- "We fought until the end but the galaxy has lost all its hope. The spark is out."
- ―General Organa losing hope.
As the battering ram prepared to fire, Dameron ordered all speeders to fall back as it would be a suicide run. Finn, however, disobeyed and piloted his speeder directly towards the barrel of the cannon. Unwilling to let Finn die, Tico crashed her speeder into his, saving Finn's life but badly injuring herself. With the Resistance's effort nearly silenced, the First Order's cannon opened fire at the base, punching easily through the main doors. Supreme Leader Ren then ordered General Hux to advance and to give no quarter to his enemies or take any prisoners. As snowtroopers began approaching the breach, the Resistance realized that all of the messages sent to their allies had been received, but none had responded. Greatly saddened, Organa gave up all hope and said the spark was out. In a last-ditch effort, the Resistance began preparing for a final stand.
Skywalker's intervention and escapeEdit
- "Did you come back to say you forgive me? To save my soul?"
- ―Kylo Ren and Luke Skywalker
As the Resistance contemplated their next move, Luke Skywalker unexpectedly appeared to the group and resolved to go out to face the First Order on his own as a distraction. As Skywalker emerged from the base, Ren ordered all of the walkers to open fire on Skywalker in a futile attempt to destroy him. However, the Jedi Master miraculously emerged unscathed, and Ren felt the need to go down to the surface and face his old master himself, despite Hux's advice to the contrary. In a brief confrontation, Skywalker dodged Ren's lightsaber attacks. When Skywalker allowed Ren to land a blow, and the blade passed through his body without harming him, Ren realized that he was actually fighting a Force projection of the Jedi, who was still on Ahch-To. Skywalker's projection vanished, leaving Ren furious.
Meanwhile, Dameron and C-3PO noticed that the vulptices, creatures which resided in the caves, had gone, leaving through a natural exit. Following a remaining vulptex, Dameron led the surviving Resistance members in search of the exit. With the time bought by Skywalker's distraction, the Resistance found the end of the base's cave system, but saw that a rockslide had blocked the exit to the outside. From the other side of the blockage, Rey used the Force to lift the rocks and cleared a path for the surviving Resistance fighters to escape to the Falcon, living to fight another day.
- "How do we build a rebellion from this?"
"We have everything we need."
- ―Rey and Leia Organa
The Battle of Crait was a victory for the First Order; the main force of the Resistance was reduced to barely over a dozen personnel aboard only a single vessel. However, the First Order failed in its main objective of completely destroying the Resistance, as some of its members—including General Organa—escaped the battle to continue their struggle. Ren also failed to destroy the Jedi Order by murdering Skywalker, who had been projecting his image across the galaxy.
After the battle, Skywalker, having heavily exerted himself in the effort to buy time for the Resistance, became one with the Force. His passing was felt by Rey and Organa, who noted that he was content and at peace. Rey worried that the Resistance was all but destroyed, but Organa reassured her, saying they had everything they needed to rebuild.
The survivors on the FalconEdit
- "If there’s one thing I’m beginning to learn, Poe, it’s that you can’t dwell on changing the past. Concentrate on the present, work with what you have."
- ―Rey to Poe Dameron reflecting on recent events
In the rare moment of peace after the battle, Poe Dameron, Rey, and Finn all sat together on the Millennium Falcon, and reflected on recent events. Dameron stated that he wished recent events had gone differently, due to the losses the Resistance had suffered, but Rey stated that she was beginning to learn that one cannot dwell on changing the past. In an effort to provide a nice distraction from recent events, Dameron decided to tell Rey and Finn how he managed to get off Jakku after he and Finn had crashed, as he had yet to tell Finn. He began by telling Rey and Finn how Leia assigned him the mission to go to Jakku, and continued from there. He discussed his mission on the planet, and then his and Finn's escape. He then went over how he got off planet with help from a scavenger named Naka Iit, and Rey then noted he did get lucky, as Naka was among the nicer scavengers on the planet. Naka dropped Dameron off at Blowback Town, where a friend of Naka's, named Ohn Gos, lived. Gos had a ship, and Poe would be allowed to use it to get back to D'Qar. Dameron did briefly stop by Niima Outpost to look for BB-8, as he believed his droid could be there, but saw that BB-8 wasn't. After returning to D'Qar, Dameron explained his situation to Leia, but she revealed that they had learned BB-8 was on Takodana.
Dameron then reflected on the Battle of Takodana with Rey and Finn, and at the same time Leia entered. Leia had been reflecting on her husband Han Solo, and had been co-pilot on the Falcon with Chewbacca, but she had allowed Nien Nunb to take over that role. Leia briefly talked with Rey, Finn, and Dameron about The Force, and she went to rest afterwards. Finn went to check on how Rose Tico was doing, and Dameron was introduced to the Porgs by Rey. Dameron then stated his one regret about the Battle of Takodana was that they hadn't arrived sooner because he believed if they had the Resistance would have been able to save Maz Kanata's castle. Rey asked how Maz was, and Dameron assured her that she was fine, as they had spoken to her earlier. Rey realized that she had missed a lot, as by the time Resistance troops had landed on Takodana she had been captured by Kylo Ren. As Dameron had also been captured and tortured by Ren, he coined the nickname "torture buddies" for him and Rey, which she accepted.
Dameron then went over the recon mission to Starkiller Base, telling Rey that Black Squadron's recon pilots—Temmin Wexley, Karé Kun, and Jessika Pava—had created a mission plan. The trio has created a plan using a Resistance recon pod, which was a ship that couldn't be detected by the First Order due to it's lack of an engine, for recon. The ship was attached to a X-wing, and it was dropped nearby, so that it could be used to collect intel and find a weakness. The First Order were able to track it somehow though, and this is what revealed the location of the Resistance base to them.
At this time R2-D2 and BB-8 were also reflecting on recent events, and BB-8 told R2 about the Battle of Starkiller Base, and the losses the Resistance had. C-3PO briefly spoke with the two astromech droids, and then went to speak with Rey. Due to 3PO's extensive knowledge of various languages, Rey asked the protocol droid to help her translate the sacred Jedi texts. 3PO began to translate the texts, but he noted that he could only give a rough translation as the books' wording was ancient. Finn was currently making sure Rose Tico was safe, and Dameron went to talk to his friend.
Eventually, the hyperdrive of the Millennium Falcon was deactivated and the Falcon landed on Batuu's Black Spire Outpost, where they got involved in one of the endeavors of the Weequay pirate Hondo Ohnaka.
The tale of SkywalkerEdit
- «And then the Great Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, bravely standing alone against the First Order...»
- ―Oniho Zava retelling the Battle of Crait[src]
The tale of Skywalker's stand against the First Order would spread across the galaxy, inspiring many to support the Resistance and stand against the First Order. Before his death, Skywalker also acknowledged Rey's position as the last Jedi, giving birth to another new hope for both the Jedi and the galaxy. In fact, Skywalker was seemingly more correct than he knew, as there were other young Force-sensitives throughout the galaxy as well.
Behind the scenesEdit
The first footage of the battle was shown in the Star Wars: The Last Jedi theatrical trailer on October 9, 2017. The battle of Crait made its first appearance in Star Wars Battlefront II as a a free downloadable level available on December 13, 2017. The battle made its first formal appearance on December 15, 2017 as the climax sequence of Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi. The sequences involving the Millennium Falcon were inspired by the original Star Tours ride. As such, director Rian Johnson was pleased that material from the Battle of Crait was in turn added as a part of Star Tours: The Adventures Continue.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First canonical appearance) (DLC)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi storybook
- The Last Jedi Read-Along Storybook and CD
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 5
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 6
- Poe Dameron 26: The Awakening, Part I (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron 27: The Awakening, Part II (Mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- Poe Dameron 28: The Awakening, Part III (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron 29: The Awakening, Part IV (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron 30: The Awakening, Part V (Mentioned only)
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (First appearance)
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "Rolling with BB-8/Resistance on the Run" (Indirect mention only)
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Set: 75177 First Order Heavy Scout Walker)
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Set: 75189 First Order Heavy Assault Walker)
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Set: 75202 Defense of Crait)
- INTRO - LEGO Star Wars - Interactive Experience 360 Video
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Battle of Crait and siege of Crait)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Ultimate Sticker Collection
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- The Last Jedi: Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter
- Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy
- (Picture only)
- ; image #5 (of 6)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 1.33 1.34 1.35 1.36 1.37 1.38 1.39 1.40 1.41 1.42 1.43 1.44 1.45 1.46 1.47 1.48 1.49 1.50 1.51 1.52 1.53 1.54 1.55 1.56 1.57 1.58 1.59 1.60 1.61 1.62 1.63 1.64 1.65 1.66 1.67 1.68 1.69 1.70 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ Poe Dameron 29: The Awakening, Part IV
- ↑ Poe Dameron 30: The Awakening, Part V
- ↑ Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
- ↑ Newsarama Staff (2019-07-16). IDW's STAR WARS Title Barrels Into Gap Between LAST JEDI and RISE OF SKYWALKER. NEWSARAMA. Retrieved on July 16, 2019.
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens in 34 ABY. Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi takes place immediately after the end of The Force Awakens.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Poe Dameron 26: The Awakening, Part I
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Poe Dameron 27: The Awakening, Part II
- ↑ Poe Dameron 28: The Awakening, Part III
- ↑ Flight of the Falcon promotional
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Last Jedi special feature - "Scene Breakdown: Showdown on Crait"