The Battle of Felucia was fought on Felucia as one of the final conflicts of the Clone Wars between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Jedi Master Aayla Secura commanded the Republic's troops as they moved into position in readiness to engage the Separatists; however Palpatine gave word that Order 66 be carried out, leading to the clones turning on Secura and killing her.
Prelude[edit | edit source]
- "The setback at Felucia has affected our efforts in the whole sector."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi, after the first battle of Felucia
The site of a major hyperspace route and thus a heavily contested planet in the Clone Wars, the Outer Rim world of Felucia was sought by both the Confederacy of Independent Systems and Galactic Republic. Early in the war, the Confederacy led an assault on Felucia and secured the planet, overcoming the forces of Jedi Generals Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Jedi Commander Ahsoka Tano and establishing an orbital blockade. Breaking through the enemy starships, General Plo Koon led the successful evacuation of the Jedi and their clone troopers, though the planet had still fallen into the hands of the Separatists. Such a loss set back the Republic's efforts in the entire Thanium sector.
Later, the Republic had managed to establish Medical Station HCTFF2 over Felucia, but the Haven medical station was attacked by a Separatist fleet and destroyed. When Skywalker, Tano, and Kenobi were sent to investigate, they were met with a waiting automated vulture droid deployment station, which deployed several vulture droids that took down their T-6 shuttle. Upon crashing on Felucia, the Jedi became embroiled in a conflict between the Ohnaka Gang and a group of Felucian farmers. Later, Skywalker, Koon, Tano, and their clones were again deployed to Felucia, having been tasked with taking over Separatist-controlled portions of the world. Learning that the Republic sought to take out TZ-33's outpost, General Grievous attempted to secure his control over the Felucia system by dispatching reinforcements, but the Second Battle of Felucia still ended in a Republic victory by taking out the Confederate outpost.
The battle[edit | edit source]
During the Outer Rim Sieges, Jedi General Aayla Secura, Clone Commander CC-5052 "Bly," and their troopers in the 327th Star Corps were deployed to the planet to capture Presidente Shu Mai of the Separatist Council, leading to conflict with the force of the droid army stationed on Felucia. At one point during the battle, Secura flew her Eta-2 Actis-class light interceptor and pursued a HMP droid gunship. At another point, Secura and her troops stood together before engaging a target. Additionally, at some point two clones standing near each other were fighting in the battle.
Later, Secura and the 327th marched through the wild underbrush in search of Confederate forces. By this time, Mai was not on Felucia and was instead with other members of the Separatist Council on Mustafar, having been transferred from their base on Utapau. Eventually, Secura and her troopers located enemy forces gathered in a clearing directly in front of them. However, as the OG-9 homing spider droids and Armored Assault Tanks advanced, Bly received Order 66 from Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine. Forced to obey the Chancellor's command by their inhibitor chips, Bly, Clone Lieutenant "Galle," and the other clones followed its directive, shooting Secura in the back before she could react. Secura was finished off by fire from the clones surrounding her before full-scale combat operations could begin.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "This was all pre-script only. This is the Padawan younglings being forced to fight. And we thought it might be cool, since they can't fight all alone. If they fought in formation in order to face off against the droids–but they'd still be slain."
- ―Derek Thompson on an early idea for the Battle of Felucia
The Battle of Felucia first appeared in Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. While developing the film's story before a script was written, it was initially proposed by concept artist Derek Thompson to have several Padawans accompanying the clone troopers to the battle and aiding them against the droids, but the idea was dropped as the Padawans eventually had to die anyway.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Old Friends Not Forgotten" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Kanan 2 (Vision to Caleb Dume)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles (First identified as Battle of Felucia)
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills (Picture only)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – Eta-2 Actis Expansion Pack (Card: ) (Picture only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Old Friends Not Forgotten"
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Kanan 1
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shattered"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – Eta-2 Actis Expansion Pack (Card: )
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Padawan Lost"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Holocron Heist"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty Hunters"
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, New Edition
- Star Wars: Legion – Phase II Clone Troopers Unit Expansion (Card: Phase II Clone Troopers)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- The Art of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith