- "For allowing this to happen, we are all diminished."
- ―Etahn A'baht
The Battle of Gyndine was an early battle of the Yuuzhan Vong War.
- "The attack on Gyndine indicates a change in the enemy's battle campaign. Clearly they are probing for weaknesses, perhaps routes into the Core."
- ―Sien Sovv
- "The Yuuzhan Vong have overrun our defenses, Ambassador. The fight's lost."
- ―Wurth Skidder, to Leia Organa Solo
The Yuuzhan Vong also launched an assault on the planet soon afterward, aided by agents disguised in ooglith masquers provoking hysteria among the population. Fortunately for the New Republic, Wurth Skidder helped defend the planet. Despite a valiant two-day campaign on the part of the new Republic forces, the Yuuzhan Vong were still able to burn the planet's forests and boil its lakes using Fire Breathers, which was the first time the New Republic encountered those weapons. A large number of New Republic refugee ships were destroyed in the initial wave of the Yuuzhan Vong attack - along with passengers - and the New Republic was forced to abandon the planet, its inhabitants, and the refugees.
- "Gyndine is lost."
- ―Sien Sovv
After the battle ended the Yuuzhan Vong began to gradually terraform the planet, slowly killing off the refugees trapped on Gyndine. The New Republic was able to evacuate 5,000 civilians from the world, many of them having been relocated to Gyndine from worlds already conquered by the Yuuzhan Vong. Because the vast majority of the evacuees were from worlds that had been early members of the Rebel Alliance, many saw it as discrimination against former Imperials.
Admiral Traest Kre'fey would win a New Republic victory at Gyndine later, during the lead-up to a major battle. Later in the war, an attempt to liberate the world would be lost. Gyndine was eventually recaptured from the Yuuzhan Vong by Boba Fett and his fellow Mandalorians.
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse (First appearance)
- The New Jedi Order: Balance Point (Mentioned only)
- Emissary of the Void (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Ylesia (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic III: Reunion (Mentioned only)
- Legacy of the Force: Fury (Mentioned only)
- "Who's Who in the New Jedi Order"—Star Wars Insider 57
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- The New Essential Chronology (First identified as Battle of Gyndine)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- The Essential Reader's Companion