The Battle of Kamino, also known as the Raid on Kamino or the Attack on Kamino, was fought during the Clone Wars between the Jedi-led Grand Army of the Galactic Republic and the Droid Army of the Confederacy of Independent systems. The Separatists launched the battle as one of their key campaigns during the war, hoping to capture Kamino and eliminate the cloning facilities in Tipoca City—resulting in the Battle of Tipoca City, also known as the defense of Tipoca City—in order to try to deprive the Republic from creating more clone troopers for their army. The Separatists, led by General Grievous and Asajj Ventress, were repelled by the Republic. However, the attack on Kamino proved the Republic had intelligence leaks and that every Republic planet was vulnerable to assault.
The following year Jedi Generals Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi intercepted a transmission between Confederate General Grievous and assassin Asajj Ventress. They were planing an attack on Kamino. Thus, Skywalker, Obi-Wan, Commander Cody, Captain Rex and the troopers of the 501st Legion were then sent to reinforce the blockade and General Shaak Ti's forces at the cloning facilities in Tipoca City.
- "I'm going to press the attack, Master."
"No, Anakin. Wait! It's too easy. Not even Grievous would attack so recklessly."
"Master, the battle's up here in space, not down there."
"The debris from the destroyed Separatist ships is the key."
- ―Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi
When Grievous's fleet approached Kamino, the blockade under Admiral Wullf Yularen was ready to hold the line against the Confederate fleet. Grievous's T-series tactical droid TV-94B reported that all ships were in position and the Confederate fleet attacked. Skywalker and Broadside then led the fighter squadrons against the fleet. Grievous sacrificed his larger transports to protect his command ship. However, there was more to this strategy, as the debris from the destroyed ships fell into orbit and into the oceans of Kamino. This debris actually contained assault craft to be used to attack the city. When the debris fell into the ocean, Ventress ordered her aqua droids to assemble the assault crafts.
However, General Kenobi suspected that debris was a clue. So, Kenobi took a Kamino sub down into the ocean to investigate. There, he discovered the aqua droids assembling the assault crafts. Kenobi was attacked by four of the aqua droids, and then forced to abandon the submarine. Kenobi was subsequently saved by an aiwha.
Assault on Tipoca City
- "Keep playing with your droids. I'll handle breaking into the DNA room."
"Shall I provide you with a droid escort?"
"My dear General, there's nothing you have that I could want."
- ―Asajj Ventress and General Grievous, separating to complete their mission objectives
The Trident assault ships then came out of the ocean and attacked Tipoca City. The aqua droids under Ventress led the attack against the clone troopers under Commander Colt and his fellow ARC trooper Havoc. General Grievous then landed with his battle droids. After killing Colt, Ventress and Grievous discussed their plans. While Grievous would attack the clone barracks, Ventress would secure a sample of the clones' DNA.
During this time, troopers Fives and Echo were acting as snipers. They were then given grenades by 99 after Havoc was killed. They later found a group of clone cadets and took them back to the barracks. Once there, they were joined by Captain Rex and Commander Cody. Together, they prepared to fight Grievous's forces. When battle droids were about to enter the barracks, Cody, Rex and the others were able to attack them. Grievous was then confronted by Kenobi and the two dueled. They fought until they got to a platform where a Trident assault ship destroyed the platform. Grievous thought Kenobi had fallen to his death, but was actually saved once again by an aiwha.
Ventress then entered the DNA room and retrieved a DNA sample. However, she was confronted by Skywalker. The two then fought until Ventress lost the sample and was surrounded by clone troopers. As Skywalker was about to let his troopers execute Ventress, Grievous came in a flight pod. Ventress boarded the Pod and retreated.
During this time, Rex, Cody, their troops, and the clone cadets were able to destroy the battle droids, though 99 was killed in the cross fire. Several ARF troopers then destroyed the last Trident assault ship.
Despite the Republic victory, the facilities on Kamino underwent wide-spread damage and intense fighting, although they were able to remain operational. Grievous's attack on the planet also proved that any Republic planet was vulnerable to Separatist assault, and the Republic had intelligence leaks. The attack proved to be a morale boost for the Confederacy.
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC Troopers" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need" (In flashback(s))
- Tarkin (Mentioned only) (First identified as Battle of Kamino, simultaneous with Tarkin audiobook)
- Tarkin audiobook (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Assassin"
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide states that the Onderonian Civil War began 22 years before the Rogue One mission, and that it ended 19 years before the mission. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Rogue One mission to 0 BBY. Therefore, the Onderonian Civil War began in 22 BBY and ended in 19 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sphere of Influence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC Troopers"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Rise of the Separatists
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – Trident-class Assault Ship Expansion Pack (Card: )
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rookies"