- "What about the droid attack on the Wookiees?"
"It is critical we send an attack group there immediately."
"He's right. It's a system we cannot afford to lose."
- ―Ki-Adi-Mundi, Mace Windu, and Obi-Wan Kenobi
The Battle of Kashyyyk, also known as the invasion of Kashyyyk, defense of Kashyyyk, or the Kashyyyk campaign, was one of the final engagements fought during the Clone Wars in 19 BBY on the planet Kashyyyk, as part of an offensive launched by the Confederacy of Independent Systems in the Outer Rim Territories. With the Galactic Republic at its full industrial capabilities by the third year of the war against the Confederacy, the confederate government was driven from the Core Worlds into the Mid Rim and Outer Rim regions by the Republic. Later, as Kashyyyk was located at a strategic position along a junction of hyperspace routes, the Confederacy had sought to claim control of the planet. However, as its capture would risk the war's prolongment, the Republic vowed to fend off the Confederacy and dispatched clone trooper forces under the command of Jedi Grand Master Yoda to the planet.
While the Confederacy fought to prevent the arrival of Republic reinforcements, with a blockade of Trade Federation warships in orbit, the democratic government managed to ward a Separatist invasion fleet away from Kashyyyk. Despite being driven, the Confederacy had already deployed their droid armies to the surface, where they were commanded by the ST-series military strategic analysis and tactics droid General Linwodo and sent against the city of Kachirho from the Wartaki Sea to engage the Republic's clone troopers. However, amid the engagements, Clone Commander CC-1004 and the clone army received orders from Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine, secretly the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious, to execute their Jedi Generals in accordance with the Order 66 directive. As a result, the Republic's forces were thrown into disarray as the clones fought to eliminate their Jedi commanders, which allowed the Confederacy's army to advance and prepare for an assault on Kachirho. Despite their attempts, the battle droids were pushed back by the Republic, which had been reorganized under the leadership of Clone Commander Faie, who led the Republic to their ultimate victory.
Sometime around 19 BBY, the final year of the Clone Wars fought between the Galactic Republic and Confederacy of Independent Systems, the confederate government coordinated an invasion of the Mid Rim world of Kashyyyk. During their occupation, various permanent enslavement camps were established on the planet by Confederacy-aligned members of the Trandoshan species for Kashyyyk's native Wookiee race. In the occupation, the planet became subject to a number of incursion and probing attacks carried out by the Confederacy.
In addition, in the war's final year, the Confederacy had launched a massive offensive across the Outer Rim Territories under the command of Supreme Commander General Grievous. Despite the Republic's military forces being pushed to the brink, the offensive had eventually grown attritional for the Confederacy, with an increase in military spending and requisition bills, and the harnessing of the government's peak industrial power for the war, which led to the confederate government's seeming entrapment as the Republic's victory appeared inevitable. As a result, the Republic was able to force the Confederacy from the Core Worlds and Colonies into the Mid Rim and Outer Rim regions.
- "Go I will. Good relations with the Wookiees I have."
- ―Yoda, in response to the attack
At some point in 19 BBY, during the Outer Rim Sieges, Kashyyyk had become an attractive target for the Confederacy as a result of its strategic position along a junction of four well-traveled hyperspace routes and its location on the doorstep of the Foundry of the Confederacy, a region of Separatist factory worlds that had become targeted by the Republic's 12th Sector Army in the offensive. Alongside its housing of an important HoloNet relay station, the confederate government had sought to capture the planet in order to gain access to the data vaults of the ancient Claatuvac Guild of Wookiee cartographers and navigators located in the Kachirho tree-city, which contained information regarding secret hyperspace lanes blazed by the guild's scouts. Leading to an invasion of the planet following their occupation in an effort to reverse their declining fortunes in the war with help from the Claatuvac Guild's information, the Confederacy's deployment of a secret force of battle droids and warships had strewn Kashyyyk's night sky with a harsh light as they arrived, which became visible to the Wookiee natives on the surface.
However, in the final days of the war, as the Confederacy's capture of Kashyyyk and seizure of the hyperspace routes risked the prolongment of the war, the Republic was unable to afford the loss of the Kashyyyk system and vowed to prevent its capture. Therefore, in response to the invasion, the Republic ordered the reassignment of Jedi General Quinlan Vos and his clone troopers from their engagements on the planet Boz Pity to reinforce Jedi General Luminara Unduli and her 41st Elite Corps on Kashyyyk, who was already on the planet spending several months in preparation and consultation with the Wookiee warriors, while also establishing a staging area for Republic walkers and HAVw A6 Juggernaut. In addition, the Jedi High Council of the Jedi Order also dispatched Grand Master Yoda and a battalion of clone troopers to reinforce Kashyyyk against the Separatist Droid Army commanded by ST-series military strategic analysis and tactics droid General Linwodo, as a result of Yoda's past friendly relations with the Wookiees, who titled him the "Defender of the Home Tree" for his prevention of several previous Separatist attacks on the planet. While Republic reinforcements had arrived, General Linwodo was confident in his ability to overwhelm both Generals Unduli and Vos after studying the battlefield records of the two Jedi.
- "The droids have started up their main power generators."
"Then now, the time is, Commander."
- ―CC-1004 "Gree" and Yoda
The Separatist Droid forces targeted the planet's oil refinery. While Yoda's Republic taskforce drove the Separatist invasion fleet away, droids occupied the Wawaatt Archipelago. In addition to the Grand Army of the Republic, the Wookiee Army was present in Kachirho, as Wookiees from across the planet arrived to defend the city. After clone troopers and Wookiee warriors set up a perimeter on the beach to confront the enemy, the Droid Army mobilized and traveled across the Wartaki Sea to reach Kachirho.
As clones and Wookiees fired from the beach, other Wookiee warriors swung from the cliffs along the archipelago to place mines on the NR-N99 enforcer tanks. Meanwhile, clone scout troopers fired from trenches and along the branches of Tree Kachirho. On the vehicle front, Wookiee Oevvaor Jet Catamarans were aided by HAVw A6 Juggernauts, AT-RTs, AT-APs and other assault vehicles. They faced enormous opposition from Separatist NR-N99 droid tanks, Dwarf Spider Droids and HMP droid gunships. Atop the seawall were two concussion turrets and multiple clone troopers. Few attempts from the CIS to destroy the seawall were made, and eventually the tide of the battle turned in favor of the Republic.
- "The time has come. Execute Order 66."
"It will be done, my lord."
- ―Darth Sidious, to CC-1004 "Gree"
As the battle raged on, Yoda felt a great disturbance in the Force as Anakin Skywalker was converted to the dark side and became Darth Vader, followed by an even stronger disturbance as Order 66, which was carried out throughout the galaxy, had begun. Clone Commander Gree received a call on his comlink, in which Darth Sidious instructed him to execute the order. Clone Captain "Jek" of the Ranger Corps joined Gree in the attempt to assassinate Yoda. As the clones prepared to execute him, the Grand Master drew his lightsaber, sensing what was about to happen, and in one fell swoop decapitated his would-be assassins. Yoda then proceeded to escape from into the nearby jungle along with the still loyal Wookiee warriors Tarfful and Chewbacca as the battle raged below. The confusion that followed Order 66 allowed the Separatist military to breach the line, but they were beaten back again.
- "Goodbye, Tarfful. Goodbye, Chewbacca. Miss you, I will."
As the Galactic Empire rose, Yoda and the Wookiees would proceed to escape into the nearby mountains. Later that evening, Chewbacca and Tarfful brought Yoda to an escape pod. After exchanging farewells, Yoda left the planet in the pod.
Though the clone troopers won the day, they would soon take the place of the Separatists as an invading force, except they would be successful in conquering the world, and the Wookiees would not be able to hold them back. The Empire, the successor state of the Republic, legalized slavery, leading many, the Empire itself in particular, to take Wookiee slaves due to their immense strength by suggestion of Trandoshan slavers, who were given command over slaving raids across the planet.
Yoda managed to meet up with Obi-Wan Kenobi, having also escaped Order 66, and the two infiltrated the Jedi temple to reverse the message being sent to Jedi, warning them to stay away. He then attempted to kill Palpatine, but failed, and exiled himself to Dagobah.
Behind the scenes
A climactic battle between the technologically advanced Empire and a race of primitive hairy aliens, the Wookiees, was present in George Lucas's original treatment for the 1977 original Star Wars film Star Wars : Episode IV A New Hope. As the story changed and the trilogy structure was solidified in Lucas' mind, the battle was postponed until 1983's Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, where it developed into a battle featuring Ewoks on the forest moon of Endor. At the same time, the Wookiees developed into a more technologically savvy, though not less hairy, species. Lucas' original conception of the battle featured hundreds of Wookiees on screen. Due to costs, the original idea was scrapped and replaced by a battle featuring relatively few diminutive Ewoks, who did not play a very significant tactical role in the battle. A large-scale battle with hundreds of characters was eventually realized in 1999's Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace in the form of the Battle of Naboo.
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Nest (Indirect mention only)
- Adventures in Wild Space: Books 1–3 (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Chewbacca - Wookiee Warrior" (In flashback(s))
- The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear! (Indirect mention only)
- The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear! audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure (Indirect mention only)
- Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- Crimson Reign 3 (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Zander's Joyride" (Indirect mention only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Peril on Kashyyyk" (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 68 (Databank A-Z: Pre Vizsla–Quinlan Vos)
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Kanan 1
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Phantom Apprentice"
- Collapse of the Republic
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 43 (Guide to the Galaxy: Kashyyyk's Fight for Freedom)
- Star Wars: Card Trader
- "The End of the Clone Wars" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 27
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 10 (Databank A-Z: Chewbacca–Cloud City)
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
- "Republic, Rebel, and Resistance Starfighters" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Droidography
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: Legion – IG-100 MagnaGuards Unit Expansion
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 43 (Guide to the Galaxy: Kashyyyk's Fight for Freedom) establishes that Kashyyyk was occupied by the Confederacy of Independent Systems sometime before to the Battle of Kashyyyk. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Kashyyyk to 19 BBY, the occupation of Kashyyyk must have taken place around 19 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Old Friends Not Forgotten"
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Solo: A Star Wars Story