- "It's time somebody finally put an end to that monster."
- ―Anakin Skywalker, on General Grievous
The Battle of Saleucami was fought on Saleucami during the Clone Wars between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems. It took place following Confederate General Grievous's capture of Jedi Council member Eeth Koth.
After the Jedi Council received a message from General Grievous about his capture of Jedi Council member Eeth Koth, Commander "Wolffe" found a hidden message from Koth. The message said that Grievous was going to the Saleucami system. Thus, Jedi Masters, Adi Gallia, Obi-Wan Kenobi and his former apprentice Anakin Skywalker decided to rescue Koth from Grievous.
Kenobi took command of several Republic warships. The three Jedi decided that Kenobi would distract General Grievous and lure him into the Surrogator whilst Skywalker and Gallia would sneak onto Grievous's Recusant-class light destroyer and rescue Koth, alongside Clone Captain CT-7567 "Rex" and several other clone troopers.
However, Grievous anticipated their plans, leaving several BX-series droid commandos on the bridge with the T-series military strategic analysis and tactics droid TV-94 and the captured Koth. Grievous then boarded Kenobi's ship with several BX-series droid commandos and two IG-100 MagnaGuards. He then dueled with Kenobi on the ship's bridge, who grew very close to defeating him after taking one of the Magnaguard's electrostaffs to use alongside his lightsaber. However, Grievous fled the bridge, and Kenobi contacted Skywalker, who was with Gallia and Koth, having defeated the commando droids. Gallia went to help Kenobi, whilst Anakin took Koth back to the Eta-class shuttle that they had boarded Grievous' ship with.
Gallia engaged Grievous just as the docking tube started to break. With the help of Gallia, Kenobi and two other clones were able to escape onto Grievous' ship just as the Republic ship exploded, killing everyone on it. Skywalker then picked up the two clones, Kenobi and Gallia in the shuttle before flying back to the Resolute. Grievous then prepared to land his forces, but debris from Kenobi's ship crashed into the C-9979 landing craft as they attempted to land on Saleucami. Grievous and what remained of his forces took to the escape pods. Thus, Kenobi took Rex, Commander "Cody," and other forces to pursue Grievous while Skywalker would continue fighting the space battle against the Separatist forces.
After his escape pod landed, Grievous and his forces then attempted to send a distress signal to what remained of their fleet in orbit. However, his escape pod's transmitter was destroyed and Kenobi's forces landed near them. Thus Grievous and his forces searched for an escape pod with a working transmitter.
Kenobi then divided his forces; Rex would take several of his troopers on BARC speeder through the wetlands while Cody and "Crys" would investigate the crash site. As Rex and his troopers went through the wetlands, Rex was shot by a pair of commando droid snipers. Clone medic "Kix" was able to patch up Rex, but was forced to leave him at the Lawquane's farmstead. Rex then left "Jesse" in charge and ordered him to continue tracking Grievous down. Late, Rex discovered that the farmer, Cut Lawquane, was a deserter from the Grand Army of the Republic.
General Grievous, riding a Reek, made his way to an escape pod that contained a working transmitter. However, his battle droids were running low on power. They asked Grievous to let them recharge, but the General refused to do so and continued while droids died. Kenobi, Cody and Crys then discovered the locations of the escape pods and continue their search for Grievous.
Following a dinner with Cut's family, Rex and Cut came under attack by commando droids. Together, they were able to defeat the droids. Grievous was able to find a pod with a working transmitter and was able to send a signal to the fleet. However, Kenobi, Cody, Jesse, and their forces were able to find him and attempted to stop his escape. Kenobi then confronted Grievous, and Kenobi briefly dueled with him before he made his escape.
Following Grievous's escape, Kenobi and his forces prepared to leave. Rex decided to allow Cut to remain with his family and not report him. Rex then left on an eopie to rendezvous with Kenobi's forces.
Behind the scenes
- "Five agonizing months!"
The Battle of Saleucami was first identified in Star Wars: Droidography, but the book itself did not link the battle R0-GR fought in to the battle depicted in "Grievous Intrigue" and "The Deserter." However, Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition later identified the battle depicted in these episodes as the "Battle of Saleucami." Given that the battle mentioned in Droidography and the battle in the episodes share the same name, this article assumes they are the same.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Grievous Intrigue" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Deserter"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "A New Home" (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Thrown Into Battle" (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Grievous Intrigue"
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide states that the Onderonian Civil War began 22 years before the Rogue One mission. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Rogue One mission to 0 BBY. Therefore, the Onderonian Civil War began in 22 BBY, while its end, depicted in "Tipping Points," must occur in 20 BBY; Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of "Water War" to 20 BBY, while Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Character Encyclopedia - Join the Battle! dates the events of "The Gathering" to be 20 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which corresponds to 20 BBY according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. As establishes that the events of "Tipping Points," and therefore the end of the Onderonian Civil War, occurred between the events of "Water War" and "The Gathering," the war must have ended in 20 BBY. Therefore, the Battle of Saleucami occurs concurrently to the civil war.
- "Brain Invaders" establishes that the second occupation of Geonosis began after the Second Battle of Geonosis, while Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel shows that it continued throughout the rest of the Clone Wars. As "The Beginning of the Clone Wars" – Star Wars Encyclopedia establishes that the Battle of Saleucami occurred after the Second Battle of Geonosis, but still during the Clone Wars, the battle must have been concurrent to the second occupation.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode "Landing at Point Rain" to 21 BBY, and Star Wars Helmet Collection 76 (Highlights of the Saga: The End of Endurance) dates the death of CT-411 "Ponds", as seen in the episode "Lethal Trackdown", to the same year. Since places "Grievous Intrigue" and "The Deserter" between "Landing at Point Rain" and "Lethal Trackdown," their events, which include the Battle of Saleucami, must take place in the same year.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Deserter"
- Star Wars: Droidography
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition