The Battle of Slag's Pit took place at Slag's Pit during the Clone Wars, around 19 BBY. The general in charge of the Galactic Republic troops hoped to use demolitions to bury a Separatist fortification. When the soldier and explosives expert Skelly pointed out that the ground was not firm enough and that the available explosives were the wrong kind, the general did not listen and ordered a charge. Skelly decided to enter the breach himself, hoping that he could save his fellow soldiers thanks to his innate talents. However, Skelly fell into a coma, and all of his companions died in the charge.
Waking from his coma after the Clone Wars had ended, Skelly lost his right arm in the failed attack. The medical droids had run out of human-compatible cybernetic parts, so Skelly received a prosthetic intended for Klatooinians which did not work properly with his physiology. Due to the botched surgery, Skelly was stuck with the faulty prosthetic and unable to replace it.
Behind the scenes
The Battle of Slag's Pit was mentioned in the 2014 novel A New Dawn, written by John Jackson Miller. Miller has stated that the Battle of Slag's Pit is the Clone Wars equivalent to the American Civil War's Battle of the Crater.
- A New Dawn (First mentioned, simultaneous with A New Dawn audiobook)
- A New Dawn audiobook (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- A New Dawn
- In A New Dawn, it is stated that Skelly fell into a coma after being injured during the Battle of Slag's Pit, and that the Clone Wars had ended by the time Skelly regained consciousness. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas states that the Clone Wars ended in 19 BBY, the battle likely occurred around that year.