- "Master, I need your help quickly. I am surrounded."
"You have already lost the battle, child. I've ordered your reinforcements to return."
"No! I will destroy the Jedi. I'll show you!"
"You have failed me for the last time. You are no longer my apprentice. And now, you shall die."
- ―Asajj Ventress is betrayed by Count Dooku during the Battle of Sullust
The Battle of Sullust was a conflict which took place during the Clone Wars, a conflict between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems for control over the planet Sullust. During this battle, Asajj Ventress commanded Separatist forces, but was targeted by Count Dooku, who wished to prove his allegiance to his Sith Master, Lord Sidious. Ventress was presumed dead in the conflict, but had escaped, while the Galactic Republic succeeded in its objectives with moderate cost.
- "There is a disturbance in the Force. Your assassin, she has become very powerful."
"Yes, my Lord. She is quite important to me."
- ―Dooku and Darth Sidious speaking about Ventress
Despite her past failures during battles on Teth, Rugosa, and Kamino, Ventress remained Count Dooku's most trusted and cunning assassin. However, his master, Darth Sidious, feared that she was being trained by Dooku to overthrow him, so that Dooku would become the master and Ventress as his apprentice. Dooku then sent Ventress to Sullust to battle.
In 20 BBY, Ventress and TJ-912 led the Confederacy navy against the Republic Navy under Jedi Generals Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Admiral Wullf Yularen. Ventress, in her Ginivex-class fanblade starfighter then led two groups of fighters in attacking the Republic's flagship, the Resolute. Trident group one attacked the starboard engines and Trident group two disabled the port shield generators. Using this opportunity created by the droid tri-fighters, Ventress was able to destroy the Resolute. Yularen was able to escape the Resolute's destruction.
Ventress and her fighters then pursued Kenobi and Skywalker in their fighters. Ventress pursued Kenobi while her fighters went after Skywalker. Ventress was then able to shoot down Kenobi and force him to land on the Separatist command ship. Ventress was then forced to crash-land on the command ship when Skywalker shot her down.
Betrayal of Asajj Ventress
However, during the battle, Dooku was contacted by Lord Sidious. Darth Sidious told Dooku that he sensed a disturbance in the Force. Sidious suspected Dooku was training Ventress as his Sith apprentice to destroy him, and demanded that Dooku eliminate her to prove that the Count's allegiance was to him alone. Despite his objections of killing her, Dooku carried out his master's wish and recalled Ventress' reinforcements. Dooku then contacted Ventress, telling her that she had failed him for the last time and was no longer his apprentice and would die.
Ventress then dueled Kenobi and Skywalker in the command ship's hangar. She was able to evade the Jedi's attacks until they force-pushed against her fighter. However, Ventress was able to force-choke them until TJ-912, under Dooku's orders, had her ship fire on the command ship to kill her. Hyena bombers along with the destroyer's cannons took out the Providence's shields, exposing it to enemy fire. One bomber sustained heavy damage and crashed into the hangar. Skywalker and Kenobi then decided to flee the doomed flagship. Ventress barely escaped the cruiser's hangar before the ship was completely destroyed. However, her fighter's life support failed and she was left unconscious in her fighter. TJ-912 reported to Dooku that Ventress was killed. Dooku then ordered the tactical droid to withdraw from Sullust with what remained of their fleet.
- "Dooku. He betrayed me."
"I know. I had hoped you would find your way to us sooner."
"I will have revenge."
"Yes, you shall, Sister. We will see to it."
- ―Ventress and Mother Talzin
Dooku then reported Ventress's death to Darth Sidious, who was pleased with Dooku proving his loyalty to him once again. Both Dooku and the Jedi Order believed that Ventress was killed during the battle. In truth, Ventress was found alive by Ratch's crew of the Raider. She was then revived by them and demanded that they take her home to Dathomir. When they refused, Ventress force-choked and killed them. She then took the Raider to Dathomir. There, she was taken by Mother Talzin and her Nightsisters where she recuperated by the Water of Life. Together, Ventress and her fellow Nightsisters planned revenge on Count Dooku.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Monster" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist" (Mentioned only) (First identified as Battle of Sullust)
- "The Lost Nightsister"—The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark (Indirect mention only)
- "Sisters"—Age of Republic Special 1 (Indirectly mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "To Catch a Jedi" (Indirect mention only)
- Dark Disciple (Indirect mention only)
- Dark Disciple audiobook (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders"
- "Brain Invaders" establishes that the second occupation of Geonosis began after the Second Battle of Geonosis, while Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel shows that it continued throughout the rest of the Clone Wars. As "The Beginning of the Clone Wars" – Star Wars Encyclopedia establishes that the Battle of Sullust occurred after the Second Battle of Geonosis, but still during the Clone Wars, the battle must have been concurrent to the second occupation.
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide states that the Onderonian Civil War began 22 years before the Rogue One mission. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Rogue One mission to 0 BBY. Therefore, the Onderonian Civil War began in 22 BBY, while its end, depicted in "Tipping Points," must occur in 20 BBY; Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of "Water War" to 20 BBY, while Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Character Encyclopedia - Join the Battle! dates the events of "The Gathering" to be 20 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which corresponds to 20 BBY according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. As establishes that the events of "Tipping Points," and therefore the end of the Onderonian Civil War, occurred between the events of "Water War" and "The Gathering," the war must have ended in 20 BBY.
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Bacara (★★★★))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ambush"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC Troopers"