- "Master, I need your help quickly. I am surrounded."
"You have already lost the battle, child. I've ordered your reinforcements to return."
"No! I will destroy the Jedi. I'll show you!"
"You have failed me for the last time. You are no longer my apprentice. And now, you shall die."
- ―Asajj Ventress is betrayed by Count Dooku during the Battle of Sullust
The Battle of Sullust was a conflict which took place during the Clone Wars, a conflict between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems for control over the planet Sullust. During this battle, Asajj Ventress commanded Separatist forces, but was targeted by Count Dooku, who wished to prove his allegiance to his Sith Master, Lord Sidious. Ventress was presumed dead in the conflict, but had escaped, while the Galactic Republic succeeded in its objectives with moderate cost.
Despite her past failures during battles on Teth, Rugosa, and Kamino, Ventress was Dooku's most trusted and cunning assassin. However, Lord Sidious feared that she was being trained by Dooku so that Dooku would become the master and Ventress as his apprentice. Dooku then sent Ventress to Sullust.
In 20 BBY, Ventress and TJ-912 led the the Confederacy navy against the Republic Navy under Jedi Generals Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Admiral Wullf Yularen. Ventress, in her Ginivex-class fanblade starfighter then led two groups of fighters in attacking the Republic's flagship, the Resolute. Trident Group 1 attacked the starboard engines and Trident Group 2 disabled the port shield generators. Using this oppurtunity created by the Droid tri-fighters, Ventress was able to destroy the Resolute. Yularen was able to escape the Resolute's destruction.
Ventress and her fighters then pursued Kenobi and Skywalker in their fighters. Ventress pursued Kenobi while her fighters went after Skywalker. Ventress was then able to shoot down Kenobi and force him to land on the Separatist command ship. Ventress was then forced to crash-land on the command ship when Skywalker shot her down.
Betrayal of Asajj VentressEdit
However, during the battle, Dooku was then contacted by Lord Sidious. Sidious told Dooku that he sensed a disturbance in the Force. Sidious suspected Dooku was training Ventress to his Sith apprentice to destroy him, and demanded that Dooku eliminate her as a test of loyalty to him. Despite his objections, Dooku carried out his master's wish and recalled Ventress' reinforcements. Dooku then contacted Ventress, telling her that she was no longer his apprentice and would die.
Ventress then dueled Kenobi and Skywalker in the command ship's hangar. She was able to evade the Jedi's attacks until they force-pushed against her fighter. However, Ventress was able to force-choke them until TJ-912, under Dooku's orders, had his ship fire on the command ship to kill her. Hyena bombers along with the destroyer's cannons took out the Providence's shields, exposing it to enemy fire. One bomber sustained heavy damage and crashed into the hangar. Skywalker and Kenobi then decided to flee the doomed flagship. Ventress barely escaped the cruiser's hangar before the ship was completely destroyed. However, her fighter's life support failed and she was left unconscious in her fighter. TJ-912 reported to Dooku that Ventress was killed. Dooku then ordered the Tactical droid to withdraw from Sullust with what remained of their forces.
- "Dooku. He betrayed me."
"I know. I had hoped you would find your way to us sooner."
"I will have revenge."
"Yes, you shall, Sister. We will see to it."
- ―Ventress & Mother Talzin
Dooku then reported Ventress's death to Sidious, who was pleased with Dooku's compliance. Both Dooku and the Jedi Order believed that Ventress was killed during the battle. In truth, Ventress was found alive by Ratch's crew of the Raider. She was then revived by them and demanded that they take her home to Dathomir. When they refused, Ventress force-choked and killed them. She then took the Raider to Dathomir. There, she was taken by Mother Talzin and her Nightsisters where she recuperated by the Water of Life. Together, Ventress, with help from her fellow Nightsisters, planned her revenge on Count Dooku.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Monster" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist" (Mentioned only) (First identified as Battle of Sullust)
- "Sisters"—Age of Republic Special 1 (Indirectly mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "To Catch a Jedi" (Indirect mention only)
- Dark Disciple (Indirect mention only)
- Dark Disciple audiobook (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders"
- ↑ Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Bacara (★★★★) (link))
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 3.20 3.21 3.22 3.23 3.24 3.25 3.26 3.27 3.28 3.29 3.30 3.31 3.32 3.33 3.34 3.35 3.36 3.37 3.38 3.39 3.40 3.41 3.42 3.43 3.44 3.45 3.46 3.47 3.48 3.49 3.50 3.51 3.52 3.53 3.54 3.55 3.56 3.57 3.58 3.59 3.60 3.61 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ambush"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC Troopers"