- "Umbara was one of the major Separatist planets. The locals fought pretty hard, and got stomped pretty solidly."
- ―Eli Vanto
The Battle of Umbara, also known as the Umbaran Campaign, was a battle that took place during the Clone Wars on the planet Umbara. It was also the event during which the treason of Jedi General Pong Krell was revealed, whose ultimate goal was recognition by Count Dooku to become his new apprentice.
- "Onaconda and I were often at odds, but I respected him. I respected him greatly."
- ―Mee Deechi, whose murder was followed by Umbara's withdrawal from the Republic
The Separatists started to tighten their grip over vital and isolated supply routes. Following the death of Umbara's senator, Mee Deechi, the Umbarans withdrew from the Republic and committed their militia to the Confederacy of Independent Systems. The Republic then sent Jedi Master Pong Krell, Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and Jedi Council members Obi-Wan Kenobi and Saesee Tiin to retake Umbara with their troops.
Krell was a recognized war hero, but was known for his exceptionally high rates of troop casualties compared to other Jedi. Unbeknownst to anyone else, Krell had had a vision of the Jedi Order's fall and the rise of a new order, leading him to fall to the dark side and begin sabotaging campaigns he fought in with the aim of attracting the attention of Separatist leader Count Dooku, who he hoped would reward him by making him his new Sith apprentice.
- "This battalion will take the main road straight to the capital. You will not stop and you will not turn back, regardless of the resistance you meet."
- ―General Pong Krell
Spearheaded by Z-95 Headhunters led by Jedi Commanders Ahsoka Tano and Barriss Offee, the Republic forces broke through the Separatist blockade. As they made their landing Kenobi spoke to Skywalker, Cody, Rex and their troops to discuss their strategy. Masters Krell and Tiin's troops would be supporting Kenobi's 212th Attack Battalion in the south, while Skywalker's 501st Legion would come in from the north, and take out enemy reinforcements. The main objective was to conquer the capital as quickly as possible and hold it. As the Acclamator-class transgalactic military assault ship entered the atmosphere, the ground forces were deployed in gunships protected by the Headhunters.
The gunships also deployed numerous AT-RTs that were able to charge the Umbaran Militia's hover tanks and destroy them. Skywalker's troops then landed and moved towards a ridge, fighting the Umbarans and forcing them to retreat. However, one of the troopers, Hardcase, was almost eaten by a vixus. Hardcase was then saved by ARC Trooper Fives.
At the ridge, the clones then entrenched themselves. However, the Umbarans ambushed them with Millicreep droids, who killed many clones due to the shadowy terrain providing them natural cover. The Umbarans then circled around the clones' encampment. Skywalker then called in Odd Ball to bombard the area with BTL-B Y-wing bombers to wipe out the Umbarans.
As Skywalker forces regrouped for the attack on the capital, Master Krell arrived with orders from the Jedi Council ordering him to return to Coruscant at the Supreme Chancellor's request. Skywalker reluctantly followed the orders and command of the 501st went to Krell. Krell then ordered the 501st to march onward towards the capital. En route, the clones came under attack by a pair of banshees. They then resumed the march after Krell killed the last one. When the 501st reached the outskirts of the capital, Krell decided to launch a full forward assault on the capital along the main road, despite Rex's objections. However, they walked into a minefield, which killed Oz and Ringo. Fives was then able to find a way through the field. The 501st then came under attack by the Umbarans, holding their ground despite being exposed. Rex then ordered a retreat to rejoin Krell and his troops. Together, they were able repel the Umbarans. Krell was disappointed at Rex for not holding the road, but was convinced that Rex and Fives did what was best for their men. Rex and the 501st then fought the Umbarans counterattack.
Capturing the airbaseEdit
- "We've gathered intel on an airbase to the West. It is resupplying the capital's defenses. If you could capture that airbase, it will sever the capital's supply lines, allowing the rest of our forces to move in."
"I'll see to it that the airbase is placed under our control."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and General Krell
Krell, Rex, and the 501st continued to hold their ground against the Umbarans from both their air and ground forces. Krell was then contacted by Kenobi, who ordered him and the 501st to capture the airbase. The airbase was supplying the capital with supplies that prevented the 212th from taking the capital. The 501st then regrouped and moved towards the airbase.
As the 501st reached the outskirts of the airbase, Rex suggested that they scout the area first. Krell, knowing the urgency of Kenobi's situation, ordered the 501st to go through a gorge single file. The 501st troopers started to criticize Krell's tactics knowing they would suffer heavy casualties. Despite, Rex was able to convince the 501st to go ahead with the attack. As the 501st entered the gorge, Rex divided it into three groups with Fives and Hardcase. As they made their way through, they came under attack by caterpillar tanks. However, they were able to destroy the tanks with their rocket launchers and Thermal detonators. They resumed moving towards the airbase, until they came under fire by the Umbarans' MHCs. Rex and the 501st attempted to use the rocket launchers against the MHCs to no avail.
Rex then sent Fives and Hardcase to infiltrate the airbase and commandeer a pair of Zenuas 33 Umbaran starfighters to use against the MHCs. Krell, however, ordered Rex to launch a full-scale attack. Rex and his men the continue to hold their ground against the MHCs. Fives and Hardcase were able to pass the sensor fence by using a tree. After Fives blew up the tree to distract the Umbarans, he and Hardcase were able to board a pair of starfighters and used them to destroy the MHCs. Krell and Sergeant Appo and brought in the rest of the 501st and took the airbase. The 501st then rounded up the remaining Umbarans as prisoners and held the base before moving on to taking the capital with Kenobi.
Attack on the supply shipEdit
- "Can't we destroy the supply ship?"
"We're trying, but with little success. Their fleet outnumbers ours, and the extra ships we were promised have not yet arrived."
- ―Captain Rex and Obi-Wan Kenobi
After securing the airbase for the Republic, the Umbarans stepped up their attacks in their attempts to retake the airbase. Krell and 501st made sure security measures were reconfigured and that all the troopers stayed on alert for anything. During this time, Fives was examining the Umbaran starfighters. Krell was then contacted by Kenobi, who congratulated him on taking the airbase, despite Krell wanting to wait until the battle was won. Kenobi told Krell that the 212th was being pushed away from the capital by long-range missiles. The capital was now receiving supplies from a Separatist supply ship protected by a Separatist fleet that outnumbered the Republic's fleet. Krell stated that they would have take the capital, regardless of the missiles and would meet up with Kenobi and 212th at the rendezvous point. Kenobi's transmission was then lost. Despite this, Krell ordered the 501st to be prepared in twelve hours to advance to the capital; Rex then asked Krell if he should try to get a message to Kenobi in order to coordinate the attack. Krell, however, knew Kenobi had his hands full and asserted that they need to throw everything they had at the capital. Despite Rex claiming they would walk into a blast zone, Krell disagreed with him and ordered him to prepare the 501st.
After Rex briefed his troops, Fives told him that he had broken Umbaran access codes and that they could use the captured starfighters to infiltrate the supply ship and destroy it. Rex presented the idea to Krell, who shot it down immediately. Fives disobeyed Krell, along with Jesse and Hardcase and preceded with the mission. The three embarked on their mission with the starfighters. After their launch, Krell was told by a Flight Officer about the launch of three fighters, and revealing this to Rex. Rex then lied to the General, and stated he launched the fighters for reconnaissance on the Umbaran capital. Fives, Jeese and Hardcase arrived at battlefield. Since the Separatists were too busy fighting the Republic, they were assumed as friendlies and used this opportunity to reach the supply ship.
Fives explained to Jesse and Hardcase that Skywalker had told him a story about how he blew up a control ship on Naboo, and that they were going to use the same method to destroy the supply ship. However, the plan quickly went into shambles when a B1 battle droid noticed the clones in the starfighters. The T-series tactical droid in command of the ship believed it was impossible that clones were on the ship, but after other battle droids verified the intruders, the droids immediately set up a ray shield which prevented the clones from critically damaging the ship. Hardcase sacrificed himself by heading in alone with a part of his starfighter, which destroyed the supply ship.
Betrayal of General KrellEdit
Jesse and Fives were then sentenced to being court-martialed. Krell changed his mind from court-martialing the soldiers to sentencing them to execution. Fives and Jesse were led by Appo and other troopers to their execution. Dogma was in charge of leading the execution, the line of which consisted of Kix, Tup and several other troopers. Fives appealed to his brothers, which resulted in the soldiers dropping their weapons. Krell, outraged, ordered Rex and Dogma to his tower.
Before Rex and Krell could argue over the matter, the tower received a transmission from a clone scout, informing them that the Umbarans were preparing another offensive, possibly with the aid of clone armor and weapons captured from a platoon. Krell decided on a preemptive strike. The troops moved out, but soon ran into a firefight and began targeting what they believed to be the enemy in disguise. Rex, curious if the enemies were actually Umbaran, took off the helmet of one of the killed "clones" and was horrified to find out that they were firing on each other. Rex immediately ran to the middle of the battlefield and yelled at both sides to take off their helmets, and both the 501st and 212th Attack Battalion were horrified to learn that they had slaughtered each other.
After verifying the casualties, Rex demanded to see the 212th's platoon leader, who Kix found out was Waxer. Waxer had sustained fatal wounds in the firefight, but managed to tell Rex that Krell had told them that they were going to fight enemies who had taken clone armor and equipment.
Enraged by the deception, Rex led the 501st and 212th to the airbase, where they confronted Krell. Initially Dogma wanted to join in the coup to avenge his fallen brothers, but due to his "loyalist" devotion for Krell, he was taken out. Rex confronted Krell with the evidence that he ordered both groups to attack each other; Krell admitted that he did not expect a clone like him to piece together the puzzle. Krell revealed to the clones that he had a vision of the future, and that he would become Dooku's newest apprentice by allowing the Separatists to defeat the Republic. The 501st and 212th attempted to subdue Krell, but were overpowered by the traitorous Jedi.
As Krell leaped out the window of the tower, more clones attempted to stop him, but were unsuccessful and he managed to escape into the forests. Rex, knowing that Krell had information on everything the Republic had, ordered the clones to chase after him. He was soon stopped by Dogma, who tried to protect the General. However, after being convinced to lower his weapon, he was tackled and sent to lockup. The clones managed to track Krell in the shadowy forests, but were still overpowered.
During the battle, Tup was sent flying by one of Krell's attacks, which ended up landing him near a vixus that briefly awoke. Tup took notice of this and told Rex and the others to lure Krell towards him. The clones retreated to Tup's position while he fired several shots at Krell, getting the Besalisk's attention. Krell, who was too busy slaughtering the clones, failed to notice the Vixus and was caught in its grasp. While he managed to defend himself from both the Vixus and clones, who eventually killed the Vixus. As he attempted to regain his senses, Tup stunned him, ending the skirmish.
Krell was taken captive by the clones, and then Clone Sergeant Appo reported that Kenobi's 212th Attack Battalion had spearheaded and captured the Umbaran capital, and now the reaming Umbarans were heading to their position. The troopers realized that if Krell was set free, he would be able to turn over the Republic's security codes and other intel. Knowing that this couldn't happen, Rex, Jesse, Fives, Kix, and Tup went to confront him and execute the former Jedi. Dogma was also released to stand with his brothers during this. Rex had Krell ready for it, but Krell taunted the captain, stating that he would never be able to take the shot. Krell was then unexpectedly shot mid-sentence, and as the troopers turned around they saw that Dogma had taken Fives's blaster pistol and had been the one to fire. Dogma took a gasp of breath and only stated that he had to kill him for the betrayal.
- "What's the point of all this? I mean, why?"
"I don't know, sir. I don't think anybody knows. But I do know that someday this war is gonna end."
"Then what? We're soldiers. What happens to us then?"
- ―Rex and Fives, directly after the battle
Dogma was taken into custody for killing a Jedi, though Rex gave him a reassuring nod to let him know he had done what was right. Fives informed Rex that the last holdouts of Umbarans had been taken out. Rex did not feel like celebrating it however, and he spoke with Fives about what the point of the war was, and what would happen to the clones when it ended.
Krell's betrayal was remembered by the Jedi, and Skywalker used it as an example of how there were be Jedi that would disappoint the Order. Mace Windu later recalled Krell's betrayal when the Jedi Council was discussing the fallen Jedi Quinlan Vos.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Battle of Umbara first appeared in a four-part arc of Star Wars: The Clone Wars' fourth season, consisting of the episodes "Darkness on Umbara", "The General", "Plan of Dissent" and "Carnage of Krell".
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only) (DLC)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Darkness on Umbara" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The General"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Plan of Dissent"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Carnage of Krell"
- "The Shadow of Umbara"—The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Gathering" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "An Old Friend" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Dark Disciple (Indirect mention only)
- Dark Disciple audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Mentioned only) (First identified as Umbaran Campaign)
- Thrawn (Indirect mention only)
- Thrawn audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Battle of Umbara)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 12 (Databank A-Z: Cosians–Dagobah)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 18 (Databank A-Z: First Order–Fyrnocks)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Dark Side
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – BTL-B Y-Wing Expansion Pack (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – LAAT/i Gunship Expansion Pack (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – LAAT/i Gunship Expansion Pack (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Star Wars The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia: Join the battle!
- (Indirect mention only)
- ; image #17 (of 21) (Indirect mention only)
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nomad Droids"
- ↑ Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Bacara (★★★★) (link))
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Kidnapped"
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 4.15 4.16 4.17 4.18 4.19 4.20 4.21 4.22 4.23 4.24 4.25 4.26 4.27 4.28 4.29 4.30 4.31 4.32 4.33 4.34 4.35 4.36 4.37 4.38 4.39 4.40 4.41 4.42 4.43 4.44 4.45 4.46 4.47 4.48 4.49 4.50 4.51 4.52 4.53 4.54 4.55 4.56 4.57 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Darkness on Umbara"
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the Battle of Mon Cala and the skirmish in Theed to 20 BBY. As the episode this event takes place within takes place between the events of the episodes the other events are attached to according to , this event must also take place 20 BBY.
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 6.11 6.12 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Carnage of Krell"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Carnage of Krell" exhibits Waxer as being the platoon leader of a platoon. According to Star Wars: Complete Locations, platoons in the Grand Army of the Republic were led by a Clone Lieutenant. Therefore, Waxer must have been a lieutenant during the events of the episode.
- ↑ 8.00 8.01 8.02 8.03 8.04 8.05 8.06 8.07 8.08 8.09 8.10 8.11 8.12 8.13 8.14 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Plan of Dissent"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The General"
- ↑ Star Wars Helmet Collection 45 (Helmets: Clone Commander Odd Ball; Weapons & Uniforms: Odd Ball's Pilots in Action; Highlights of the Saga: The Battle of Teth)
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sabotage"
- ↑ Dark Disciple