- "Vader Down. I repeat, Darth Vader has been shot down on Vrogas Vas."
- ―Arhul Narra
During the Galactic Civil War, a battle was fought on the planet Vrogas Vas between Darth Vader, Imperial Commander Karbin and his forces, and the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Vader, who traveled to Vrogas Vas in search of Luke Skywalker, crash-landed on the planet after being shot down and was pursued by Rebel forces.
Luke Skywalker, who had learned of the existence of a Jedi Temple on the planet Vrogas Vas, traveled to the planet, where a Rebel refueling base was located. Skywalker was stationed in orbit with Red Squadron. Blue and Yellow Squadrons accompanied him. During training exercises, the Sith Lord Darth Vader, who had been looking for Skywalker since the Battle of Yavin, exited hyperspace, having learned of Skywalker's location from Chelli Lona Aphra.
Darth Vader immediately opened fire on the rebel space forces. Despite being vastly outnumbered, the Sith's TIE Advanced evaded the rebel's laser fire. The X-wings targeted Vader with proton torpedoes, but he detonated them early with the Force before they could hit his fighter. During the dogfight, Luke Skywalker, who had engaged Vader with Red Squadron, could sense the Dark Lord's presence. Vader could likewise sense Skywalker, noting his strength in the Force. Before long, the entirety of Blue and Yellow Squadrons were destroyed. Skywalker collided his X-wing head-on into Vader, sending both pilots crashing down onto the surface of the planet. 
The rebels regrouped, desperate to take advantage of their opportunity to kill Darth Vader. At the refueling base on the planet's surface, the local infantry garrison stationed there rallied for a ground assault on the Sith Lord. At the Alliance Fleet, Princess Leia Organa and Han Solo were informed of the situation. An entire company was mobilized against Vader, and General Doddana had another one on the way to back them up. Organa, Solo, Chewbacca, and C-3PO departed for Vrogas Vas to assist Skywalker. Aphra, fearing Vader's wrath, made her way to the planet as well, along with her droids Triple-Zero and Beetee.
Rebel forces failed to destroy Darth Vader in several strafing bombing runs. The rebel infantry company caught up with Vader and had him surrounded, demanding a surrender. The Sith refused, engaging them in battle and slaughtering many. Organa, Solo, and friends arrived shortly afterward, along with rebel reinforcements. Organa went with the rebels to face Vader in battle commanding Delta Squad, while Solo and Chewbacca left looking for Skywalker. Arriving in-system around this time, Aphra took her two droids along with her on a journey to the surface of Vrogas Vas to find and capture Skywalker and bring him to Vader.
Darth Vader bested Leia's squad and faced the princess. Organa called in a bombing run by Amber Wing on her position, hoping to kill Vader in the process. However, Amber Wing was unable to carry out her orders when they were intercepted by a TIE fighter squadron under the command of Imperial commander Karbin, a rival of Vader's who had tracked him down to Vrogas Vas in hopes of being the first to find Skywalker and bring him before Emperor Palpatine. Karbin confronted Vader and engaged him in a lightsaber duel.
Elsewhere, Aphra and her droids managed to capture Skywalker. However, Solo came to the young Jedi's rescue, and he and Aphra simultaneously subdue each other with wasp-worms. Chewbacca brought Solo back aboard the Millennium Falcon alongside Skywalker. However, the Wookiee bounty hunter Black Krrsantan prevented the Falcon's escape. Chewbacca and Krrsantan grappled with each other and Skywalker was sent by Solo to save Organa.
Near the ruins of the Jedi Temple, Skywalker was fired upon by a squad of stormtroopers, but the troopers were attacked by BT-1, on orders from Aphra to capture Skywalker for Vader, allowing the rebel pilot to flee unharmed. However, Karbin's troops eventually caught up with Skywalker and apprehended him. Aphra contacted Vader and assisted him in killing Karbin by crashing her ship, the Ark Angel, into the Mon Calamari cyborg.
Krrsantan was defeated by Chewbacca and C-3PO. Vader brought down the transport carrying Karbin's forces and Skywalker, allowing the young Jedi to make his escape. The heroes met Aphra once again and Organa, having regrouped with the others in the chaos, took the archaeologist by surprise and knocked her out. Organa, Solo, Chewbacca, Skywalker, R2-D2, and C-3PO escape Vrogas Vas with Aphra as their prisoner whilst Vader looked on at the Millennium Falcon as it made its escape into hyperspace.
- "I've read the reports on this. No pilot should ever be as skilled as Vader was here—not even me. Maybe the Force is good for something after all."
- ―Poe Dameron, in The Rebel Files
At some point after the battle, the Resistance pilot Poe Dameron read reports of the battle and later noted in The Rebel Files that no pilot should ever be as skilled as Vader had been in the battle.
- Vader Down, Part I (First appearance)
- Darth Vader 13: Vader Down, Part II
- Star Wars 13: Vader Down, Part III
- Darth Vader 14: Vader Down, Part IV
- Star Wars 14: Vader Down, Part V
- Darth Vader 15: Vader Down, Part VI
- Star Wars 16: Rebel Jail, Part I (Indirect mention only in Opening crawl)
- Darth Vader 16: The Shu-Torun War, Part I (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Vader 20: End of Games, Part I (Mentioned only)
- "The Misadventures of Triple-Zero and Beetee"—Darth Vader 20: End of Games, Part I (Indirect mention only)
- The Screaming Citadel, Part I (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars 31: The Screaming Citadel, Part II (Indirect mention only)
- Doctor Aphra 25: The Catastrophe Con, Part VI (Indirect mention only)
- Bloodline (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ The opening crawl for Darth Vader 16: The Shu-Torun War, Part I states that the events of the Darth Vader Annual 1 take place before the events of Star Wars: Vader Down.
- ↑ Star Wars 16: Rebel Jail, Part I
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 3.20 3.21 3.22 3.23 3.24 Vader Down, Part I
- ↑ Star Wars: Vader Down takes place shortly after Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, in the aftermath of the Battle of Yavin, but the exact date is currently unknown.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 5.8 5.9 Darth Vader 15: Vader Down, Part VI
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 6.11 6.12 6.13 6.14 6.15 Darth Vader 13: Vader Down, Part II
- ↑ 7.00 7.01 7.02 7.03 7.04 7.05 7.06 7.07 7.08 7.09 7.10 7.11 7.12 Darth Vader 14: Vader Down, Part IV
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Star Wars 13: Vader Down, Part III
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars 14: Vader Down, Part V
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rebel Files