- "What are you doing down there?"
"We are taking cover. Now get down!"
"You're not serious?! There's only a thousand droids down there, tops!"
- ―Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi
The Battle of Yerbana was an engagement that took place during the Outer Rim Sieges in the final days of the Clone Wars between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems, on the planet Yerbana. Clone troopers of the 212th Attack Battalion under Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi and of the 501st Legion under Jedi General Anakin Skywalker engaged the Separatist Droid Army on the world.
- "Master, I mean no disrespect. If you want, I can hide here with you, and we can let the people in the city suffer longer."
- ―Skywalker is sarcastic toward Kenobi for hiding behind cover
In 19 BBY, the Confederacy of Independent Systems launched a campaign in the Outer Rim Territories led by General Grievous. The Jedi Generals of the Grand Army of the Republic were sent far from the Core Worlds due to this campaign, and the 501st Legion and 212th Attack Battalion were dispatched to the Outer Rim planet of Yerbana under the command of Jedi Generals Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Arriving in orbit of the planet Yerbana, the 501st Legion and 212th Attack Battalion were split into two fronts, with the 212th leading an assault on a city controlled by the Separatists. The 501st managed to finish with their front of the battle before the 212th did, and went to help them with theirs. In the air, Clone Z-95 Headhunters and gunships engaged Separatist droid tri-fighters.
On the bridge leading into the city, the 212th faced a blockade by the Separatist Droid Army. Clone Commander Cody ordered his troops to take cover as the Separatist forces fired explosives at them. The clones continued to fire at the enemy while taking cover. Cody was nearly killed by one of these explosives but was saved by the timely arrival of Kenobi. Alongside Kenobi's arrival, he ordered his troops to get down. From behind cover, Cody informed Kenobi that they couldn't find the tactical droid as the Separatists continued to fire explosives at them. As Kenobi asked where Skywalker was, he suddenly appeared right behind them with a new strategy.
Leaving cover, Skywalker walked out in to the open while the droids continued to fire at the 212th, easily avoiding all of the shots fired at him. After identifying Skywalker, the OOM command battle droid ordered his forces to aim all of their batteries on him; however, before they could fire, Skywalker feigned his surrender to them. As Skywalker continued to oversell his surrender, the battle droid commander ordered the other battle droids to contact the super tactical droid. Meanwhile, R2-D2 checked up on the progress of Skywalker's plan and told Clone Captain Rex that he and the other clone jetpack troopers hiding underneath the bridge would not have to wait there much longer. As the super tactical droid emerged from hiding, he realized Skywalker's trick and ordered his units to open fire once more, but before they could do anything else, Skywalker ordered his troops to attack and pulled the tactical droid towards him using the Force, slicing his head off with his lightsaber. As he did this, the jetpack troopers emerged from hiding and attacked, firing at the droids and planting explosives on the Octuptarra tri-droids. As the droids were forced back, Kenobi allowed his troops to join in on finishing the Separatist forces.
- "You capture Maul. I'll take care of Grievous. With any luck, this will all be over soon."
"Master Kenobi always said there's no such thing as luck."
"Good thing I taught you otherwise."
[Skywalker begins to leave]
"Anakin! Good luck."
- ―Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano's final words to each other as friends
As the battle was wrapping up, ending in a Republic victory and granting the regime control over Yerbana, the Jedi were called back to the ship after receiving a message from an individual using Anakin's subspace frequency "Fulcrum," who they believed to be Saw Gerrera requesting their assistance in the siege at Onderon. However, the person using the frequency was actually Skywalker's former Padawan, Ahsoka Tano, and Bo-Katan Kryze, the sister of the late Duchess Satine Kryze, seeking the assistance of the Republic and the Jedi to help defeat and capture the renegade Sith Lord Maul.
After meeting with Tano and Kryze onboard a Venator-class Star Destroyer and hearing their request, Kenobi insisted on waiting for the approval of the Jedi High Council before committing to the operation. Kryze told Tano she had known this would be a waste of time, but Skywalker had a surprise for his former apprentice, taking her to meet Rex and a unit of the 501st who had repainted their helmets after her facial markings in her honor once they knew she was coming back. The reunion was interrupted, however, by the klaxons going off. When Kenobi arrived at the scene, Skywalker asked if the attack on Mandalore had been approved as the clone troopers ran off to prepare for battle, but the Jedi Master explained that Grievous had attacked Coruscant and the Supreme Chancellor was in danger. Tano was upset, pointing out that the Jedi playing politics instead of helping people who really needed them was why the general public had lost faith in the Order. Skywalker proposed splitting the 501st and creating a new unit under Tano's command, but Kenobi pointed out that as she was no longer a member of the Republic Military, she could not officially command anyone. Skywalker's solution to this was to promote Rex to Commander so he could lead the new unit, with Tano officially designated as his advisor, which she was amenable to.
As Kenobi, Skywalker and their forces headed for the capital of the Republic to stop Grievous, Tano, Rex, and Kryze set out for Mandalore with their forces, beginning a siege to draw Maul out of hiding.
Behind the scenes
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Old Friends Not Forgotten" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Bad Batch – "Aftermath" (In flashback(s))
- (First pictured)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - The Final Season (Episodes 9-12) (First identified as Battle of Yerbana)
- "Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Final Countdown"—Star Wars Insider 200
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Character Encyclopedia - Join the Battle!
- Skywalker: A Family at War
- "Anakin Skywalker" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "The Clone Wars" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Unfinished Business"
- Events depicted in "Old Friends Not Forgotten" and "Victory and Death" establish that the Battle of Yerbana was the final battle of the Clone Wars that Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi General Anakin Skywalker, and Clone Captain CT-7567 "Rex" fought together in. Therefore, as all three worked together during the Battle of Horain, it must have occurred at some point before the Battle of Yerbana.
- The Star Wars Book
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Old Friends Not Forgotten"
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Bacara (★★★★))
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the Battle of Coruscant in 19 BBY. Since the Battle of Yerbana occurred directly prior to the Battle of Coruscant, it can be deduced that it took place in 19 BBY.
- "The Clone Wars" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"