- "This is Toluz Cheq in the Rial Kroon system. My Padawan is dead, my fleet is destroyed, and I have no means of escape. This is my final report."
- ―Toluz Cheq
In 22 BBY, during the Clone Wars, a battle was fought in the Rial Kroon system. Jedi Master Toluz Cheq's Republic fleet was decimated by a new model of Confederate Vulture droids equipped with advanced engines constructed by famous starship builders from the planet Valahari. Following the battle, the Jedi attempted to convince the Valahari to stop supplying the Confederacy with the engines but failed to do so.
Prelude[edit | edit source]
- "The noble families of this sector have grown tired of Republic meddling in our affairs—tired of unfair taxes and regulation. We consider ourselves neutral in the war, but we will do what we must for the good of our economy."
- ―Harko Vane
In the year 22 BBY, the people of the neutral planet Valahari began trade relations with the Confederacy of Independent Systems. The Valahari were prolific starship builders, and the Confederate leader, Count Dooku, was an old friend of Harko Vane, the Viscount of the planet's royal House of Vane. Tired of Republic interference in their affairs and believing that trading with the Confederacy would help their economy, the Valahari began secretly selling advanced engines for Confederate Vulture droid starfighters. The engines helped the Vultures achieve great speeds, exceeding that of any Republic craft at the time.
The battle[edit | edit source]
- "Our ships are no match for their speed. We must—"
- ―Master Cheq's last words
Soon thereafter, a number of the modified Vultures attacked a Republic fleet commanded by Jedi Master Toluz Cheq in the Rial Kroon system. The Vultures decimated the Republic Venator-class Star Destroyers and V-19 Torrent starfighters, and killed Cheq's Padawan. Cheq, who was one of the Jedi Order's best pilots, engaged the enemy in a Delta-7B Aethersprite-class light interceptor and managed to collect some data on the new Confederate starfighters. However, the Jedi was unable to inflict any damage on the Vultures and could not escape from them either. Realizing that, Cheq hastily established a holographic connection with the Jedi Temple on the galactic capital of Coruscant and transmitted his data to the Jedi Order. Soon after, Cheq was killed.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- "I have studied Master Cheq's transmission carefully. It appears these new Vulture droids are equipped with advanced engines—manufactured by the Valahari."
"The Valahari build some of the best ships in the galaxy. If they've joined the Separatists…"
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker
Analyzing Cheq's transmission, the Jedi learned of the Valahari's dealings with the Confederacy. Hoping to persuade the Valahari to stop selling the engines to the Separatists, Jedi Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi went to Valahari on a diplomatic mission. However, the Valahari refused to comply, and the Republic established a blockade of the world.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The Clone Wars 10: Hero of the Confederacy, Part 1 (First appearance)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The Clone Wars 10: Hero of the Confederacy, Part 1
- The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 8 (22 BBY 1–2, The Second Battle of Geonosis) dates "Landing at Point Rain" to 22 BBY. Since Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded places the events of Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Hero of the Confederacy shortly prior to "Landing at Point Rain," it can be concluded that Hero of the Confederacy also takes place in 22 BBY.