- "So much for the Jedi escort!"
- ―General Grievous
The Battle of the Ryndellia system was a battle that took place in 22 BBY during the Clone Wars in the Ryndellia system. Prior to the battle, a Galactic Republic medical convoy of three Pelta-class frigates escorted by a lone Venator-class Star Destroyer, commanded by clone troopers and a Jedi, passed through the Ryndellia system. While traveling through the star system, the convoy was ambushed by the Separatist Subjugator-class heavy cruiser Malevolence, under the command of the Kaleesh General Grievous.
As a result, the warship managed to eliminate the entire convoy with its extensive weapons array, while it disabled the final fleeing frigate with its ion cannon. Following the attack in the Ryndellia system, on orders from Separatist leader Count Dooku, the Malevolence headed to attack and destroy the Republic's secret Outer Rim medical center that had been treating over 60,000 wounded clone troopers.
- "Now the Republic will learn of our ion cannon!"
"Your failure is most unfortunate. I will have to discuss this with my Master."
- ―Grievous and Dooku, after the former fails to stop a Republic ship from fleeing
During the opening year of the Clone Wars, in 22 BBY, the Confederacy of Independent Systems had constructed the Subjugator-class heavy cruiser Malevolence, a starship capable of disabling all power to fleets of capital ships with its mega-ion cannons. Following its construction, the Confederacy's naval forces deployed the Malevolence against the Galactic Republic and its navy in over a dozen star systems, in attacks that left no survivors to report what they had encountered. Due to its method of attacking, which had been unknown to the Republic, the Malevolence was dubbed a mystery weapon.
Following the destruction of a Republic task force in the Phu system, Jedi General Plo Koon managed to track the Malevolence to the Abregado system, where he and his fleet were ordered by the Jedi High Council to destroy the mystery weapon before it could conduct more strikes against their fleets. Commanded by the Kaleesh Separatist General Grievous, who was overseen by the Head of State, Count Dooku, Koon's entire fleet had been destroyed just as the other Republic fleets before it, although the Jedi Master managed to escape the destruction and eventually the Malevolence with the help of Jedi General Anakin Skywalker and his Padawan, Ahsoka Tano. After escaping the Malevolence, Koon reported his findings on the warship to the Republic, resulting in a loss in trust for Grievous by Dooku, but the Kaleesh continued his attack on Republic fleets, where he eventually arrived in the Ryndellia system.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow of Malevolence" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain" (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 43 (Starship Fact File: Heavy Cruiser Malevolence) (First identified as Battle of the Ryndellia system)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Supply Lines"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow of Malevolence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destroy Malevolence"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the early events of the Battle of Ryloth and the mission to Rodia to 22 BBY. As the episode this event takes place within takes place between the events of the pieces of media the other events are attached to according to , this event must also take place in 22 BBY.
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 43 (Starship Fact File: Heavy Cruiser Malevolence)