The battle on Jedha was a battle that took place in Jedha City, on the moon of Jedha in 0 BBY when Saw Gerrera's Partisans attacked a Galactic Empire convoy transporting Kyber crystals in Tythoni Square. Rebel Alliance operatives Cassian Andor, Jyn Erso and K-2SO, as well as two Guardians of the Whills, Chirrut Îmwe and Baze Malbus, also became involved in the battle against the Imperial forces. However, in the aftermath of the fight, Andor, Erso, Îmwe, and Malbus were all taken prisoner by the Partisans and brought to the Catacombs of Cadera.
As the convoy passed by Tythoni Square, a grenade was tossed from a balcony in front of the tank. Its detonation halted the vehicle's progress, and the Partisans revealed themselves, opening fire on the stormtroopers, both from ground level and with snipers atop the nearby buildings. Once Jyn Erso entered the street to save a child and return it to her mother, her escort, Cassian Andor, was forced to help her to safety, shooting the tank's weapon operator who had just destroyed a nearby tower with a missile. As Jyn hid in front of the stopped vehicle, Cassian noted a Partisan atop a nearby elevated bridge preparing some grenades and shot him to create a distraction—as upon his fall to the ground, the explosives detonated—to the sight of Partisan troop leader Benthic. As Jyn and Cassian ran to safety, another bomb was tossed at the stormtroopers' feet, and after being detonated, the Partisans raided the vehicle to collect the Kyber crystals. They finished just as Imperial reinforcements, which included an All Terrain Scout Transport, arrived.
As Jyn and Cassian fought their way through more troopers, Cassian's reprogrammed droid, K-2SO, arrived and detonated a grenade upon a squad of charging troopers. The trio returned to the square, where the reinforcements checked the damages suffered by the tank and were mistaken for an actual Imperial droid directing prisoners. Jyn and Cassian were only saved by the intervention of two Guardians of the Whills, Chirrut Îmwe and Baze Malbus. As K-2 returned to Cassian's ship, the Partisans took over the square and captured the rebels and Guardians, as Benthic felt they were hostile due to Cassian's attack. Once Jyn revealed she had businesses with Saw Gerrera for being the daughter of Galen Erso, the Partisans put bags on their heads (which slightly annoyed Chirrut, who was blind anyway) and took them to their headquarters in the Catacombs of Cadera, where Jyn was brought before Saw, while Cassian, Baze, and Chirrut were put in a cell.
Behind the scenes
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Indirect mention only) (DLC)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Stormtroopers vs. Rebels – Soldiers of the Galactic Empire"
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story audiobook
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel audiobook
- Rogue One Adaptation 2
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as Battle on Jedha)
- Dawn of Rebellion (Picture only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 55 (Helmets: Tank Trooper)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – Hotshots and Aces Reinforcements Pack (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Practical"
- "Imperial Troops" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy
Notes and references