- "Battlecruiser 17, Battlecruiser 19, attack position."
- ―A B1-series battle droid, calling Battlecruiser 19 to reinforce the blockade
Battlecruiser 19 was the callsign of a Munificent-class star frigate of the naval forces of the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. In 21 BBY, Battlecruiser 19 was one of many frigates that served in the Confederacy's blockade of the planet Ryloth during the Battle of Ryloth. Placed under the command of Neimoidian Captain Mar Tuuk, the frigate was positioned elsewhere by the Neimoidian, who was expecting an attack by Galactic Republic forces. Following the arrival of a Republic task force led by Jedi General Anakin Skywalker, Tuuk ordered Battlecruiser 19 and three other Munificents, including Battlecruiser 17, to the Ryloth system, forcing the Republic to retreat.
Sometime after their retreat, Skywalker's forces returned to the system for a second attack on the blockade. In their return, the Republic forces sent the starfighters of Blue Squadron commanded by Skywalker's Padawan, Ahsoka Tano, against the Separatist fleet following the destruction of Tuuk's command ship. As a result, Battlecruiser 19 and the other Munificents were bombarded and destroyed by several BTL-B Y-wing starfighter/bombers, thereby allowing the Republic to further its campaign to liberate Ryloth.
The callsign of a Munificent-class star frigate, Battlecruiser 19 was 825 meters in length, 426 meters in width, and 243 meters in height and was equipped with seven ion drive thrusters at its stern, a hyperdrive generator, and two long-range hyperwave transceiver masts. In terms of armament, Battlecruiser 19 possessed two heavy turbolaser cannons mounted at its prow and two long-range heavy ion cannons, as well as a supplemental thirty-four light turbolaser cannons, seventeen on the port side and seventeen on the starboard side. Both the port and starboard sides of the frigate's hull were emblazoned with the emblem of the Confederacy of Independent Systems.
Ensnaring the Republic
- "Now is the time to bring in our reinforcements."
- ―Mar Tuuk, in response to a Republic attack run on his command ship, orders reinforcements to the system
During the Clone Wars between the Galactic Republic and Confederacy of Independent Systems, in 22 BBY, the planet Ryloth was invaded by the Confederate droid armies and an orbital blockade was established. Led by a sole Lucrehulk-class Battleship and supplemented by six Munificent-class star frigates, including Battlecruiser 19, the blockade was commanded by the Neimoidian Separatist Captain Mar Tuuk.
Sometime after the Confederacy's occupation and blockade of Ryloth, in 21 BBY, Tuuk's fleet was challenged by a Republic task force consisting of three Venator-class Star Destroyers led by Jedi General Anakin Skywalker. During the battle, V-19 Torrent starfighters of the Republic's Blue Squadron, led by Skywalker's Padawan, Jedi Commander Ahsoka Tano, began their attack run on Tuuk's Lucrehulk after a period of dogfighting with Vulture-class droid starfighters. In response, the Neimoidian ordered Battlecruiser 19, Battlecruiser 17, and two other Munificents, which had been positioned elsewhere in expectation of a Republic attack, to join their fight in the Ryloth system.
As Battlecruiser 19 and the other frigates exited from hyperspace and assumed their designated attack positions, the Republic forces were caught off guard as Skywalker's Venators suffered extensive damage. Amid their forced withdrawal, the Venator-class Star Destroyer Redeemer was destroyed by the reinforced blockade and Battlecruiser 19.
Destruction of the blockade
- "Where is the Captain? What is going on?"
"He's in an escape pod."
"Idiots! The blockade has been broken."
- ―Wat Tambor, on the status of the blockade to one of the OOM command battle droids
Despite the Republic's retreat, Battlecruiser 19 and the other three frigates remained in the system alongside the blockade, rather than returning to their ambushing position. However, the Republic task force engaged the blockade once more, resulting in the loss of the Separatist flagship at the hands of the heavily damaged Venator-class Star Destroyer Defender, which was plummeted into the command ship by Skywalker. As the Lucrehulk was destroyed, the remaining Venator, the Resolute, arrived in the system and proceeded to angle its ventral hull towards the Separatist frigates as part of Tano's Marg Sabl tactic.
With the Resolute in position, Tano proceeded to direct a second starfighter squadron against the blockade as the OOM command battle droids on the six frigates inquired as to what their current orders were following the command ship's destruction. In response, one of the droid commanders ordered the blockade to commence fire on the Resolute. However, during their barrage of turbolaser fire, the Republic squadron's BTL-B Y-wing starfighter/bombers assaulted and destroyed the six Munificents, including Battlecruiser 19. Amid their destruction, Techno Union Foreman Wat Tambor proclaimed the blockade's failure after being informed of the situation by one of the droid commanders. With the blockade destroyed, a Republic invasion fleet led by Jedi Generals Mace Windu and Obi-Wan Kenobi arrived in the system and proceeded to land on the planet's surface, furthering the Republic campaign to liberate Ryloth from Separatist control.
Commanders and crew
- "I think the Captain left."
"Who's in charge?"
- ―OOM command battle droids of the Ryloth blockade
During the attack on the Confederacy's blockade over Ryloth, Battlecruiser 19 was commanded by an OOM command battle droid. After the loss of their command ship in the Republic's second assault, the droid commander convened with the OOM command battle droids of the five other Munificents as to which of them was in command of the battle. Uncertain as to who, all six droid commanders instead agreed to commence attack on the Resolute after it arrived.
Behind the scenes
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth"
- "Storm Over Ryloth" establishes that Battlecruiser 19 is a Munificent-class star frigate, which measures 825 meters in length, 426 meters in width, and 243 meters in height according to Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles and Star Wars: Complete Vehicles.
- "Storm Over Ryloth" depicts Battlecruiser 17 as a Munificent-class star frigate with seven of what Star Wars: Complete Vehicles identifies as ion drive thrusters.
- "Storm Over Ryloth" depicts Battlecruiser 19 as a Munificent-class star frigate with two of what Star Wars Complete Vehicles, New Edition identifies as heavy turbolaser cannons and two of what Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles identifies as long-range heavy ion cannons.
- "Storm Over Ryloth" depicts Battlecruiser 19 as a Munificent-class star frigate with thirty-four—seventeen port, seventeen starboard—of what Rise of the Separatists identifies as twin light turbolaser cannons.
- "Storm Over Ryloth" depicts Battlecruiser 19 with what Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles identifies as long-range hyperwave transceiver masts, of which Munificent-class star frigates possess two.
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of "Supply Lines," which included the Separatist invasion and establishment of the blockade, in between the events of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film and "Bombad Jedi," which Galactic Atlas establishes take place in 22 BBY. Galactic Atlas also dates the events of "Blue Shadow Virus" and "Innocents of Ryloth" to 21 BBY. As "Storm Over Ryloth," which includes the destruction of Battlecruiser 19 in the Ryloth system, takes place between these two episodes according to , it must also take place in 21 BBY.
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film and "Bombad Jedi" to 22 BBY. As the episode "Supply Lines" takes place between those two pieces of media according to , the events of "Supply Lines," including the Separatist invasion of Ryloth, must also take place in 22 BBY.
- Thrawn: Alliances