- "Battlecruiser 17, Battlecruiser 19, attack position."
- ―A B1-series battle droid, calling Battlecruiser 19 to reinforce the blockade
Battlecruiser 19 was the callsign of a Munificent-class star frigate of the naval forces of the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. In 21 BBY, Battlecruiser 19 was one of many frigates that served in the Confederacy's blockade of the planet Ryloth during the Battle of Ryloth. Placed under the command of Neimoidian Captain Mar Tuuk, the frigate was positioned elsewhere by the Neimoidian in expectancy of an attack by Galactic Republic forces. Following the arrival of a Republic task force led by Jedi General Anakin Skywalker, Tuuk ordered Battlecruiser 19 and three other Munificents, including Battlecruiser 17, to the Ryloth system, which forced the Republic to retreat.
Sometime after their retreat, the Republic returned to the system for a second attack on the blockade. Following their return, the Republic fleet sent a starfighter squadron commanded by Skywalker's Padawan, Ahsoka Tano, to attack the blockade. As a result, Battlecruiser 19, the Munificents and the rest of the blockade were destroyed by Tano's squadron, which allowed the Republic to further its campaign to retake the planet.
The callsign of a Munificent-class star frigate, Battlecruiser 19 was 825 meters in length, 426 meters in width, and 243 meters in height, and was equipped with seven ion drive thrusters at its stern, a hyperdrive generator, and two long-range hyperwave transceiver masts. In terms of armament, Battlecruiser 19 was armed with two heavy turbolaser cannons mounted at its prow and two long-range heavy ion cannons, as well as a supplemental thirty-four light turbolaser cannons, seventeen on the port side and seventeen on the starboard side. Furthermore, both the port and starboard sides of the frigate's hull were emblazoned with the emblem of the Confederacy of Independent Systems.
Ensnaring the Republic
- "Now is the time to bring in our reinforcements."
- ―Mar Tuuk, in response to a Republic attack run on his command ship, orders reinforcements to the system
During the Clone Wars between the Galactic Republic and Confederacy of Independent Systems, in 22 BBY, the planet Ryloth was invaded by the confederate government's droid armies, which resulted in the establishment of an orbital blockade. Flagged by a sole Lucrehulk-class Battleship and supplemented by six Munificent-class star frigates, including Battlecruiser 19, the blockade was commanded by Neimoidian Separatist, Captain Mar Tuuk.
Sometime after the Confederacy's occupation and blockade of Ryloth, in 21 BBY, Tuuk's fleet was challenged by a Republic task force of three Venator-class Star Destroyers led by Jedi General Anakin Skywalker. During the battle, the Republic's Blue Squadron of V-19 Torrent starfighters led by Skywalker's Padawan, Jedi Commander Ahsoka Tano, began their attack run on Tuuk's Lucrehulk after a period of dogfighting with Vulture-class droid starfighters. However, in response, Neimoidian ordered Battlecruiser 19, Battlecruiser 17, and two other Munificents, which had been positioned elsewhere in expectancy of a Republic attack, to join their fight in the Ryloth system.
As Battlecruiser 19, alongside the three other frigates, arrived in the system and assumed their designated attack positions, thereby reinforcing the blockade, the Republic forces were caught off guard as the three Venators suffered extensive damage, which therefore forced them to withdraw. During their retreat, the reinforced blockade was able to destroy the Venator-class Star Destroyer Redeemer.
Destruction of the blockade
- "Where is the Captain? What is going on?"
"He's in an escape pod."
"Idiots! The blockade has been broken."
- ―Wat Tambor, on the status of the blockade to one of the OOM command battle droids
Despite the Republic's retreat, Battlecruiser 19 and the other three frigates remained within the system alongside the blockade, rather than returning to their ambushing position. However, the Republic task force engaged the blockade once more, which resulted in the loss of the Separatist flagship at the hands of the heavily damaged Venator-class Star Destroyer Defender, which was plummeted into the command ship by Skywalker. As the Lucrehulk was destroyed, the last of the Venators, the Resolute, arrived in the system and proceeded to angle its ventral hull towards the Separatist frigates as part of Tano's Marg Sabl tactic.
Tano then proceeded to lead a second starfighter squadron into battle while the OOM command battle droids on the six frigates, who were thrown into disarray with the loss of the command ship, inquired as to what their current orders were. Responding to the query, one of the droid commanders ordered the frigates to commence fire on the Resolute, but during their barrage of turbolaser fire, the Republic squadron was able to destroy all six Munificents, including Battlecruiser 19. As a result of their destruction, a Republic invasion fleet led by Jedi Generals Mace Windu and Obi-Wan Kenobi arrived in the system and landed on the planet's surface, which allowed them to further their campaign in liberating Ryloth from Separatist control.
Commanders and crew
- "I think the Captain left."
"Who's in charge?"
- ―OOM command battle droids of the Ryloth blockade
During the attack on the Confederacy's blockade over Ryloth, Battlecruiser 19 was commanded by an OOM command battle droid. After the loss of their command ship, the droid commander convened with the OOM command battle droids of the five other Munificents as to which of them was in command of the battle. Uncertain as to who, all six droid commanders instead agreed to commence attack on the Resolute after it arrived.
Behind the scenes
Battlecruiser 19 was introduced in "Storm Over Ryloth," the nineteenth episode of the animated television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars' first season, which originally aired on February 27, 2009.
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth"
- "Storm Over Ryloth" establishes that Battlecruiser 19 is a Munificent-class star frigate, which measures 825 meters in length, 426 meters in width, and 243 meters in height according to Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles and Star Wars: Complete Vehicles.
- "Storm Over Ryloth" depicts Battlecruiser 17 as a Munificent-class star frigate with seven of what Star Wars: Complete Vehicles identifies as ion drive thrusters.
- "Storm Over Ryloth" depicts Battlecruiser 19 as a Munificent-class star frigate with two of what Star Wars Complete Vehicles, New Edition identifies as heavy turbolaser cannons and two of what Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles identifies as long-range heavy ion cannons.
- "Storm Over Ryloth" depicts Battlecruiser 19 as a Munificent-class star frigate with thirty-four—seventeen port, seventeen starboard—of what Rise of the Separatists identifies as twin light turbolaser cannons.
- "Storm Over Ryloth" depicts Battlecruiser 19 with what Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles identifies as long-range hyperwave transceiver masts, of which Munificent-class star frigates possess two.
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of "Supply Lines", which included the Separatist invasion and establishment of the blockade to in between the events of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film and "Bombad Jedi", which take place in 22 BBY. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas also dates the events of "Blue Shadow Virus" and "Innocents of Ryloth" to 21 BBY. As "Storm Over Ryloth," including the destruction of the Battlecruiser 19 in the Ryloth system, takes place between these two episodes according to , it must also take place in 21 BBY.
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film and "Bombad Jedi" to 22 BBY. As the episode "Supply Lines" takes place between those two pieces of media according to , the events of "Supply Lines," including the Separatist invasion of Ryloth, must also take place in 22 BBY.
- Thrawn: Alliances