- "The dots are moving very quickly toward us, so either Zade is running away from a Batuuan braga bear or there's trouble."
Batuuan braga bears were a species of bear that lived on the planet Batuu. They were brown and chased after their prey. When the droid SF-R3 visited Batuu, he learned that the growl of a braga bear was a sign to run away.
Biology and appearance
Batuuan braga bears were a type of bear native to the planet Batuu. The bears had brown fur, a tail, pointed teeth, and black claws, and they lived in caves in the mountains. Porgs, an avian species that had been brought to Batuu, knew to run when they heard a braga bear's growl.
- "Don't eat me!"
- ―SF-R3, while being chased by a braga bear
- "When you hear the growl of a Batuuan braga bear—You run!"
In 34 ABY, when the Chadra-Fan Resistance member Kriki noticed that the smuggler Zade Kalliday was running towards them, he speculated that Kalliday had either encountered a braga bear or was in trouble; in reality, it was the latter. During or after that year, the safari droid SF-R3 visited Batuu in order to learn about the porgs and attempt to teach them tricks. While hiking up a mountain to get to them, his cam droid, CAM, ran into one of the bears in a cave, but the droid was able to quickly escape.
Later, while trying to train a trio of porgs to play dead, a Batuuan braga bear approached, causing the porgs to fly away in fright and leaving the droids by themselves. They too ran away, with SF-R3 begging the bear to not eat him. When recounting his adventures on Batuu for a holorecording for the Galactic Society of Creature Enthusiasts, the droid noted that while he intended to be the teacher on the planet, he ended up learning a lesson: to run when a braga bear's growl was heard. As he recorded the segment, a bear again chased after him, causing him to flee again.
Behind the scenes
Batuuan braga bears were first mentioned in the 2019 novel Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, written by Delilah S. Dawson as part of the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge multimedia project. They made their first appearance in "Porgs," an episode of the Star Wars Galaxy of Creatures animated shorts, which was published online on October 14, 2021.
- Galaxy of Creatures book
- Star Wars Galaxy of Creatures – "Porgs" (First appearance)
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire (First mentioned, simultaneous with Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire audiobook)
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire audiobook (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars Galaxy of Creatures – "Porgs"
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire is set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here.
- The Creature Stall in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge establishes that porgs were brought to Batuu. The events of the Creature Stall are set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here.
- Galactic Society of Creature Enthusiasts Activity Book