- "They destroyed our home. I will kill them."
- ―Baze Malbus
Baze Malbus was a human male born on the desert moon of Jedha fifty-three years before the Battle of Yavin. Once a devoted member of the Guardians of the Whills, Malbus became a freelance assassin during the age of the Galactic Empire. Nevertheless, he maintained a deep friendship with Chirrut Îmwe, who also served with the Guardians. Following the destruction of Jedha City, Malbus and Îmwe became part of the Rebel group known as Rogue One. After Îmwe's death in an explosion during the Battle of Scarif, Malbus rushed the Imperial death troopers and was killed by a C-25 fragmentation grenade.
Baze Malbus was a human male born in 53 BBY on the desert moon of Jedha who joined the Guardians of the Whills alongside Chirrut Îmwe, his close friend since childhood. As members of the religious order, they were tasked with guarding the Temple of the Kyber in Jedha City.
Age of the EmpireEdit
In the aftermath of the Proclamation of the New Order, the holy city of NiJedha was occupied by the armed forces of the Galactic Empire. The harsh conditions of Imperial occupation transformed Malbus into a cynical soldier, although he also remained lifelong friends with the spiritual Îmwe.
Joining the RebellionEdit
- "You almost shot me."
- ―Chirrut Îmwe and Baze Malbus
By 0 BBY, approximately two decades into the Age of the Empire, Malbus and Îmwe encountered Jyn Erso and Captain Cassian Andor of the Rebel Alliance in NiJedha. During the ensuing insurgent attack on Imperial troops, Îmwe came to Erso and Andor's aid and defeated a group of stormtroopers, leading Malbus to shoot several more troopers in order to protect his blind comrade. The two friends and their Rebel acquaintances were subsequently captured and taken to the Catacombs of Cadera by Saw Gerrera's followers, but ultimately managed to escape when the Death Star obliterated NiJedha.
Malbus and Îmwe followed the Rebels on their mission to Eadu—the location of Galen Erso, Jyn's father and the chief scientist responsible for the creation of the Empire's new battle station. The assignment led to a firefight between Imperial and Alliance forces, resulting in the death of the elder Erso. After the battle, Malbus accompanied his allies to the Alliance headquarters on Yavin 4.
Battle of ScarifEdit
- "The Force is with me and I am one with the Force."
- ―Baze Malbus' last words
Shortly after their arrival, Jyn Erso made an unsuccessful attempt to persuade the Alliance leaders in sending a fleet to Scarif, believing her late father's revelation that a fatal flaw in the Death Star's design could be found in its schematics. In spite of the Alliance leadership's unwillingness to act, Erso was joined by Malbus, Îmwe, and a group of soldiers in an unsanctioned mission to Scarif. The newly formed Rogue One successfully infiltrated the Imperial stronghold, but were forced to fight a battle against the planet's garrison while Erso and Andor searched for the plans in the Imperial security complex. During the battle, Îmwe sacrificed his life to help deactivate the planetary deflector shield, causing Malbus to begin repeating his good friend's mantra before proceeding to kill several death troopers, maintaining the offensive until he himself was killed by a grenade. Though the remaining members of Rogue One also perished, their sole mission ended in the successful transmission of the Death Star plans to the Alliance Fleet.
Personality and traitsEdit
Baze Malbus was a human male who stood at 1.80 meters. He had brown eyes, black hair, and tan skin. Unlike the deeply spiritual Chirrut Îmwe, whom he regarded as his best friend and moral compass, Malbus had lost his sense of spirituality, including his belief in the Force, as a result of enduring the harsh conditions of Imperial occupation on Jedha. In contrast to Îmwe, Malbus developed a pragmatic viewpoint but ultimately reaffirmed his faith in the Force after his friend's death on Scarif.
Behind the scenesEdit
Baze Malbus is portrayed by Jiang Wen in the Star Wars Anthology Series film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Wen's casting in the film was first announced on August 15, 2015. At this time, the first photo of the character was released as well. The first footage of the character was shown in the Rogue One teaser trailer on April 7, 2016.
Baze and Chirrut replaced another pair featured in early treatments of the story—that of the aliens Senna and Lunak. Lunak was cut entirely from the final version of the movie, while Senna eventually became the mercenary Moroff.
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Lost Stars webcomic
- Leia Organa: Ordeal of the Princess (Appears in flashback(s))
- Guardians of the Whills
- Star Wars: Boots on the Ground
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story audiobook
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel audiobook
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Secret Mission
- Star Wars: Rogue One Graphic Novel Adaptation
- Rogue One Adaptation 1
- Rogue One Adaptation 2
- Rogue One Adaptation 3
- Rogue One Adaptation 4
- Rogue One Adaptation 5
- Rogue One Adaptation 6
- LEGO Star Wars Movie Short: Star Wars: Rogue One As Told By LEGO
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 According to Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide, Baze Malbus was 53 years old at the time of the mission to steal the Death Star plans. Since Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates that to 0 BBY, Malbus was born in 53 BBY.
- ↑ Baze Malbus' death, as depicted in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, was during the Battle of Scarif. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas states the Jyn Erso's mission to acquire the Death Star plans took place in 0 BBY.
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3
- ↑ Guardians of the Whills
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - The Official Mission Debrief
- ↑ The Art of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story