The bearded jax, or jax for short, was a small species of herbivorous felines found in the wilds of the forest moon of Endor and Naboo's moon of Rori. One of their most distinguishing features was a beard protruding from the creature's chin. Beast masters were able to domesticate the bearded jax as personal companions. Holographic depictions of the bearded jax were also stored on data cubes, allowing them to be projected as holopets. Their meat could also be cooked and consumed as sustenance. The mammoth jax was a subspecies of jax notable for its considerably larger size. Bioengineers were also capable of using the DNA of the bearded jax to incubate mutated variants known as psychotic jax.
Biology and appearanceEdit
The herbivorous species of felines known as the bearded jax was found in the wilds of the forest moon of Endor and Naboo's moon of Rori. However, determining which species were truly indigenous to Rori was a matter of debate. The mammalian vertebrates had a bristly white hide while in the wild, but when domesticated, their hides could come in a variety of different hues, including shades of red, yellow and blue. Distinguishing features of the bearded jax included a prominent beard protruding from their chins, pointed ears, and a long tail with a tuft of hair at the end. The quadrupedal creatures also had small, catlike paws and yellow eyes. When vocalizing, they would emit a trill purring noise. When under attack, the bearded jax would bite and claw back to defend themselves. Subspecies of the bearded jax included the considerably larger mammoth jax, found exclusively on Rori. The bearded jax also shared a physical resemblance to the felines of Talus known as kima. To a lesser degree, the feline species of kittles were similar to the bearded jax in terms of size and overall body shape.
Bearded jax could be cooked and eaten as sustenance. During the time of the Galactic Civil War, following the Battle of Yavin in 0 BBY, a written document titled Essential Cooking Skills detailed guidelines on how to best cook a bearded jax. In this document, a setting of 250 degrees for a half hour was the recommended criteria, depending on the calibration of the cooking instruments. Bearded jax could also be domesticated by beast masters as personal companions or house pets. An officer of the Corellia-based gang of criminals known as the Meatlumps kept a bearded jax named Comet in a cage. Holographic depictions of the bearded jax were also stored on data cubes, allowing them to be projected as holopets in homes and other buildings across the galaxy. Using DNA from the bearded jax, bioengineers were capable of incubating mutated variants of the creature known as psychotic jax. These mutated jax exhibited a more intimidating appearance, including sharp, pointed teeth, longer claws, a spiked head, and a more vibrantly colored hide.
Behind the scenesEdit
Bearded jax were included as creatures in the 2003 video game Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by Sony Online Entertainment and published by LucasArts, prior to its closure on December 15, 2011. In addition to the mammoth bearded jax, there also existed other named types of jax, including the blooming jax, blushing jax, bounding jax, and pouncing jax of Endor, and the fuzzy jax of Rori. However, each of these jax were virtually identical in size and appearance to a typical bearded jax, so it is not clear whether they constituted distinct subspecies, or were merely descriptive names for different types of the same creature. In the game, a Data Storage Unit document titled Essential Cooking Skills detailed recommended instructions on how to best cook a bearded jax.
With the release of Star Wars Galaxies, bearded jax could be domesticated as pets by players who pursued the creature handler profession. Following the release of Publish 25's New Game Enhancements on November 15, 2005, creature handlers were removed. However, with the release of Chapter 6: Masters of the Wild on May 22, 2007, beast masters were added as an expertise path, allowing players to incubate domesticated creatures. With the release of Chapter 4: "Armed and Ready for Action!" on November 30, 2004, bearded jax holopets were made available to players as decorative art.
The bearded jax is listed in several reference guides for Star Wars Galaxies, including the Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (2003), the Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide (2003), the Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed: Prima Official Game Guide (2004), the Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide (2005), and the Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Guide: Prima Official Game Guide (2005). A holographic depiction of a bearded jax also received an entry in the The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (2008).
The game's directory tree files and source data contain details for an NPC "destroy" quest featuring the bearded jax. The quest titled Console Little Angel contains dialogue instructing players to kill the creatures responsible for killing a daughter's beloved pet jax. However, as this specific content is not known to have appeared on the live servers, this article considers the material cut, and therefore non-canon in Legends.
- "My little daughter's beloved bearded jax was killed by some sort of wild beast recently. The darling just won't be consoled until those horrible pests are disposed of. Do you think you could do this for me?"
- ―Parent of a grief-stricken daughter
At some point during the reign of the Galactic Empire, wild beasts killed a girl's beloved bearded jax, rendering her inconsolable. In order to alleviate her grief, one of her parents hired a spacer to eliminate the pests responsible for killing the jax.
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- ↑ Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine
- ↑ 3.0 3.1
- ↑ IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT STAR WARS GALAXIES™. Station.com. Sony Online Entertainment (2011-06-24). Archived from the original on November 24, 2011. Retrieved on July 25, 2015.
- ↑ Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- ↑ Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- ↑ Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed: Prima Official Game Guide
- ↑ Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- ↑ Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Guide: Prima Official Game Guide
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 53 ("Holo-pet")
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided directory tree files and source data
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Guide: Prima Official Game Guide