- "In the caverns of Marka Ragnos is the beast he left to guard his legacy. Go there, sit among the flames, and wait for the beast to come for you."
- ―Overseer Tremel, to the acolyte
The Beast of Marka Ragnos was a Sithspawn terentatek that was kept as a pet by Marka Ragnos, an ancient Dark Lord of the Sith and ruler of the Sith Empire. Following Ragnos' demise in 5000 BBY, the Beast was left to guard the resting place of its master on the planet Korriban. After centuries of isolation in Ragnos' caverns, the Beast was ultimately slain by a rising star of the reconstituted Sith Empire who had entered the tomb as part of the Sith Academy's trials.
Biography[edit | edit source]
- "Return to the Valley of the Dark Lords and find the tomb of Marka Ragnos. I'll see you when the beast is slain. Good luck."
- ―Overseer Tremel, to a promising Sith acolyte
As its name implied, the Beast of Marka Ragnos once belonged to the Dark Lord of the Sith Marka Ragnos, who ruled over the Sith Empire for a standard century. The Beast was a giant terentatek, a species that had been created by the Ninûshwodzakut, a group of Sith priests who used manipulated breeding and alchemy to produce fearsome creatures. Legend held that Ragnos, despite considering the Beast his "pet," used to beat it at night in order to increase its ill emotions. The same legend also reported that the Beast was only fed with blood between two periods of deprivation, which gave it an unquenchable thirst for more. By dint of torture, Ragnos' pet was ultimately turned into an embodiment of pure hatred. Since it had been altered by the Sith to be more brutal, the creature had become what was called a Sithspawn, and it pulsated with the darker aspects of the Force.
When Ragnos died in the year 5000 BBY, the Beast was left to guard the burial chamber of its master, nestled in the Valley of the Dark Lords on the planet Korriban. For many centuries, the Beast of Marka Ragnos served its purpose, and no one who had seen it lived to tell the tale. Around 3643 BBY, toward the end of the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and a reconstituted Sith Empire, Overseer Tremel of the Korriban Sith Academy ordered a promising Sith Warrior to enter the tomb as a test of worth. Tremel advised his acolyte to hold nothing back, as he considered the creature to be "doom itself." The Sith Warrior discovered the reliquary containing an ancient Sith carving that could summon the Beast and meditated around it for a moment, prompting the creature to appear. True to its mission, the Beast confronted the Sith Warrior but was ultimately slain. Since Ragnos' pet had been a great source of dark energy on the planet, its death caused a disturbance in the Force.
Personality and traits[edit | edit source]
- "Hold nothing back. This creature is doom itself."
- ―Overseer Tremel, to the Sith acolyte
Like all terentatek, the Beast of Marka Ragnos was a massive biped distinguished by its thick forearms, the spines growing from its back, and a pair of poisonous tusks. Its thick, hairless hide had a grayish hue.
Powers and abilities[edit | edit source]
- "The beast of Marka Ragnos was a great source of dark energy here on Korriban. When it was slain, there was a tremor in the Force."
- ―Overseer Tremel, to the Sith acolyte
As a non-sentient life-form, the Beast only used brute force to attack its enemies, but it could also stun them with a blow of its fists. Its powers were great enough to impress a confirmed Sith Overseer and prompt him to advise caution about fighting the creature. In fact, Tremel explained that a vergence in the Force was located on the Beast, which was itself a source of dark energy.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Beast of Marka Ragnos appears in Star Wars: The Old Republic, a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game released by BioWare and LucasArts on December 20, 2011. The creature must be faced during the Sith Warrior-class mission "Slaying the Beast," in which the player must fight the Beast to prove the player's worth. The beast was also featured in the 2012 reference guide Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Warrior Mission: "Slaying the Beast" on Korriban
- Since the Beast belonged to Marka Ragnos, it had to have been born or created sometime before Ragnos' death, which occurred in 5000 BBY, according to Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith 2: Funeral for a Dark Lord.
- Using comments and information from The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2, The Old Republic: Annihilation, "The Last Battle of Colonel Jace Malcom"—Star Wars Insider 137, and , it is possible to place the events of the Prologue and Act I for all classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic in 3643 BBY, the general events of Act II in 3642 BBY, and the events of Act III for all classes in 3641 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "The Beast of Marka Ragnos (Warrior)"
- Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith 3: The Fabric of an Empire
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith 2: Funeral for a Dark Lord
- Fate of the Jedi: Ascension
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia