Ben's Mesa, also known as the Benzin Plateau, was a flat-topped mountain in the center of the Boonta Eve Classic racetrack on Tatooine. It was named for Ben Neluenf, the first great Tatooine-born racer who lost his life in a spectacular attempt to scale the central mesa. Most of Boonta Eve's canyons cut through Ben's Mesa, including famous Beggar's Canyon.
Obi-Wan Kenobi chose "Ben" as an alias after overhearing the mesa's name while en route to Tatooine with the infant Luke Skywalker. (By coincidence, he had also used the name as an alias during the Clone Wars.)
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Ben's Mesa appeared as a designated planetary region in the 2003 massively multiplayer online role-playing game Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, prior to the game's closure on December 15, 2011. In the game, the mesa was identified as the "Benzin Plateau," situated in the center of the racetrack.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (Identified as Benzin Plateau)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Episode I (First identified as Ben's Mesa)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia