- "Well, it looks like Quadinaros is having engine trouble also."
- ―Fodesinbeed Annodue
Ben Quadinaros was a Toong Podracer pilot who had very little actual racing experience when he participated in the Boonta Eve Classic that saw the liberation of the slave boy Anakin Skywalker. Piloting a BT310 quadra-Podracer, Quadinaros never left the starting grid due to his pod stalling. A short while later, his power coupling failed, causing his engine's energy binders to deactivate. This caused the hapless Toong's engines to spiral away from the cockpit and fly off and explode on various parts of the Mos Espa Grand Arena. Despite this loss, Quadinaros continued to Podrace up to ten years later, during the time of the Clone Wars.
- "I see Ben Quadinaros from the Tund system."
- ―Fodesinbeed Annodue
Ben Quadinaros was a Toong male from the planet Tund in the Tund system who became a podracer After racing on amateur circuits, he signed up to participate in the Boonta Eve Classic on the planet Tatooine. Despite being the least experienced racer taking part in the event, Quadinaros was rumoured to be the one to watch. The race was being held in the Grand Arena of the city of Mos Espa. Prior to the race, Quadinaros spent time in the venue's hangar, where the BT310 quadra-Podracer that he had rented specially for the race was stored.
While in the hangar he walked past the Dug racer Sebulba as his competitor was getting a massage from the Twi'lek slaves Ann Gella and Tann Gella. After the pod of the human racer, Anakin Skywalker, was brought into the hangar, the Tung was conversing with the Veknoid podracer Teemto Pagalies near the entrance to the hangar.
As the setup for the race began, Quadinaros' podracer was pulled from the hangar to the starting line by a dewback. The racer stood amongst his competitors' vehicles and smiled and waved to the crowd as the race's Troig commentator Fodesinbeed Annodue listed him first while announcing the participants. Once the participants had been introduced, each of their flags was carried in procession across the starting grid, including Quadinaros' flag, which consisted of five separate thin triangular flags, the top two red, the bottom two orange, and the central flag yellow.
- "Doowat macroon!"
"Ooh, there goes Quadinaros' power coupling."
- ―Ben Quadinaros curses before his engines explode, which Fodesinbeed Annodue comments on
On Annodue's command, Quadinaros and other the racers started their engines as the race track was cleared of all non-participants. When the event's host, Jabba Desilijic Tiure, officially sounded the start of the race, Quadinaros' power couplings failed, resulting in his engine malfunctioning and not igniting, causing his vehicle to stall. The human racer Anakin Skywalker also had engine troubles and as Annodue commented on the two racers stuck on the starting grid, four of the Toong's DUM-series pit droid raced out to aid him, as he angrily hammered his fists into the display screen in his cockpit.
As the rest of the racers passed through the Canyon Dune Turn, Quadinaros' pit droids left his pod and returned to the side of the race track. Despite their intervention, the BT310 suffered total breakdown and the power couplings deactivated. The Toong continued to hammer on the podracer's display screen as the vehicle's energy binders switched off, meaning that when the engine did suddenly ignite, all four of his engines detached from the vehicle's cockpit and individually flew off to crash into the arena walls or floor and explode. Even as his pod slowly lowered to the floor, Quadinaros continued to pound his fists into it, until the other racers reached the end of their first lap and rushed passed him, causing the Toong to duck and cover his head. Ultimately, Skywalker won the race then left Tatooine and podracing to join the Jedi Order.
- "The sport's greatest rivalry! Quadinaros vs Sebulba. We'll sell you the whole seat but you'll only need the edge!!!"
- ―The text of "The Sport's Greatest Rivalry"
Despite his embarrassing loss at the Boonta Eve Classic, Quadinaros persevered with the sport and would eventually be billed as Sebulba's greatest rival. At some point during the Republic Era, a sporting poster titled "The Sport's Greatest Rivalry" was produced under the name Codenka Mafurias, which was assumed to be the alias of an art workshop bankrolled by Marlo the Hutt. The poster depicted Quadinaros as an underdog with Sebulba as his arch-rival, showing the Toong still racing in a BT310 quadra-Podracer.
In 19 BBY, Skywalker, now a Jedi Knight, had a copy of "The Sport's Greatest Rivalry" hung on the wall of his personal quarters in the Jedi Temple on the planet Coruscant. In 2 BBY, Jedi Padawan Ezra Bridger had an altered version of the poster on the wall of his cabin on the VCX-100 light freighter known as the Ghost. The poster was cropped to only show Quadinaros and his vehicle.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "Cheespa wata."
- ―Ben Quadinaros curses after his podracer engines explode
At the time of the Boonta Eve Classic, Quadinaros was largely inexperienced. He was more comfortable on the amateur circuits and was quite terrified of the race, which he hoped would end a streak of bad luck. Despite Toongs being extremely timid by nature, he overcame his shyness to become a podracer and participate in the sport. The racer was short by Toong standards at 1.63 meters in height, but was the tallest entrant in the Boonta Eve Classic. He was innovative, pudgy and comic-faced, with yellow skin and orange eyes.
Behind the scenesEdit
Ben Quadinaros was created for the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, which was written and directed by George Lucas. Conceptual art for the character was created by designers Terryl Whitlatch and Iain McCaig, which specified the details of Quadniaros' anatomy, clothing, and range of movement. Quadinaros later appeared on a poster in the television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, in the episode "Friends and Enemies". The poster was designed by Kilian Plunkett. Quadinaros' name was likely derived from the "quadra-Pod" racing engines of his vehicle.
Quadinaros has appeared in various non-canon LEGO media, most prominently featuring in the LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures episode Race on Tatooine, in which he was voiced by Dee Bradley Baker. In the episode, Quadinaros helps the Hutt crime lord Graballa lure the Freemaker family into a trap on Tatooine after the criminal threatens to snap his antenna off. The podracer contacts the family to hire them as a replacement pit crew and claims that his usual crew have caught sand rot. The three Freemaker siblings accept and travel to Tatooine to work on a decoy podracer they believe is the Toong's. Quadinaros then introduces them to his "sponsor", revealing Graballa with several henchmen. The Freemakers realise that Quadinaros has betrayed them, but Graballa explains that the Toong did not do so willingly and dismisses him.
Quadinaros then participates in the 29th Annual Bricklayers' Classic at the Mos Espa Grand Arena and manages to reach first place by the third lap; however, the Freemakers catch up with him, having escaped Graballa's clutches in the decoy podracer they had been working on. The family crashes into Quadinaros's podracer and causes his engines to separate from his cockpit, leaving him in the dust as they fly on to win the race.
Quadinaros also appears in LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales, a series retelling the events of each of original trilogy and prequel trilogy films. In the first episode, Exit from Endor, Quadrinaros is shown in C-3PO's retelling of The Phantom Menace; however, his podracer explodes immediately on the starting grid prior to the Boonta Eve Classic even starting. In Gambit on Geonosis, the final episode of the series, the retelling of Return of the Jedi includes Quadinaros as one of several allies that join Luke Skywalker and his allies in fighting Jabba during the skirmish at the Great Pit of Carkoon.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Rise of Clovis" (Appears on poster)
- Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow (Appears on poster)
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Holocrons of Fate" (Appears on poster)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Race on Tatooine"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Gambit on Geonosis" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "The Prisoner of Tatooine" (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "From Trenches to Wrenches: The Roger Story" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Ben Quadinaros (★★) (link))
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Star Pilot
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Darth Vader: Sith Lord (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars Made Easy: A Beginner's Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy From A To Z
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
- (Misspelled as Ben Quadiaros)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Star Wars: Star Pilot
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Alien Archive
- ↑ 7.0 7.1
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy From A To Z
- ↑ Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Rise of Clovis"
- ↑ Dawn of Rebellion dates the events of Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow seventeen years after the end of the Clone Wars, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 19 BBY; therefore, the events of Steps Into Shadow, including the appearance of Quadinaros on a poster, must take place in 2 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Race on Tatooine"
- ↑ LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor"
- ↑ LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Gambit on Geonosis"