The berserker rifle was a kinetic ranged slugthrower that fired solid projectiles. The weapon was composed of various materials, including units of ferrous metal, iron, and other metals. It also comprised of number of different components, including a berserker rifle stabilization component and advanced projectile feed mechanisms. The weapon resembled another rifle called the Nullifier X. Although similar in appearance, the Nullifer X was an energy-based blaster rifle rather than a slugthrower.
The weapon saw use during the time of the Galactic Civil War between the Galactic Empire and Alliance to Restore the Republic, following the Battle of Yavin in 0 BBY, where it mostly saw use by the Empire's elite Imperial Special Tactical Forces. However, schematics of the weapon were also available to independent weaponsmiths and munitions traders. These schematics were often stored in containers aboard various Corellian CR90 corvettes belonging to the Empire, Rebellion, and the Corellian Security Force. A Rodian individual was at one point armed with a berserker rifle.
Behind the scenesEdit
The berserker rifle was included as a rifle in the 2003 video game Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by Sony Online Entertainment and published by LucasArts, prior to its closure on December 15, 2011. The weapon was added to the game during the Publish 7 update on April 13, 2004. Following this update, players who embarked on the Corellian corvette instanced dungeon quests could find schematics of the weapon inside containers aboard the corvettes. By using these schematics, the weapon could be crafted by weaponsmiths. Following the release of Publish 25's New Game Enhancements on November 15, 2005, weaponsmiths were removed, however the weapon could still be constructed by players of the newly created munitions trader profession. The weapon could be constructed using a number of different components and resources, including iron, ferrous metal, and metal.
A couple Star Wars Galaxies reference guides feature the berserker rifle, including Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide and Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Guide: Prima Official Game Guide (2005). The 2005 expansion Rage of the Wookiees included a Nullifer X blaster rifle which used the same graphical appearance as the berserker rifle. In the Squadrons Over Corellia expansion for the Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game released on December 16, 2008, the berserker rifle was introduced as a game card. The artwork for the berserker rifle illustration was completed by Slawomir Maniak. The card presented a rather different rendition of the rifle as opposed to its more sleek appearance in Star Wars Galaxies. Slawomir's Maniak's artwork for the berserker rifle was included in the Suns of Fortune (2014) sourcebook. Capitalization of the weapon's name was somewhat inconsistent between sources. The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide and The Complete Guide: Prima Official Game Guide fully capitalize the weapon as a Berserker Rifle, as did its card for Squadrons Over Corellia. Star Wars Galaxies likewise capitalized the name in the weapon's title, but examining the rifle's schematic revealed a description which read, "A schematic for a berserker rifle."
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Guide: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Squadrons Over Corellia (Card: Berserker Rifle)
- Suns of Fortune
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars Galaxies: Rage of the Wookiees
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Squadrons Over Corellia (Card: Berserker Rifle)
- ↑ IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT STAR WARS GALAXIES. Sony Online Entertainment (2011-06-24). Archived from the original on November 24, 2011. Retrieved on July 25, 2015.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Guide: Prima Official Game Guide
- ↑ Suns of Fortune