Bioengineering, also referred to as genetic engineering or gene splicing, was the science of altering the genes of a species to produce a desired result. The Nu-Cosian race was created through bioengineering, using genetic material from the Cosian species. Some geneticists surmised that the group of related species collectively known as the Delphidians were bioengineered as slaves by some long-gone master. Agricultural scientists Leo Leonis and his wife Tepha worked on creating genetically-modified crops to help feed the people of Chrona. Bioengineering prehensile tails on beings was considered vogue on Coruscant during the Imperial Era. They were said to never last more than a few months. Seasonal chewfly swarms used to plague the Fruited Moon of the Hetzal system until they had been genetically modified out of existence.
Following the death and resurrection of Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith, the Sith Eternal cultists turned to gene splicing in their efforts to create a suitable vessel for Sidious' essence. Their experimentation on his template produced various strandcasts, including a cloned "son" of the Dark Lord, all of which were deemed failed specimens.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy (Mentioned only)
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan (Mentioned only)
- Darth Vader 6
- Doctor Aphra 25
- Doctor Aphra 27
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 7: The Reckoning" (Mentioned only)
- Join the Resistance: Attack on Starkiller Base (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition (as gene splicing)