- "At the edge of the galaxy
So far away
Black was the spire
That called me to stay.
A beacon for drifters
Forgotten and lost
The spires summoned those
Broken and tossed.
Come stay here forever
Or just pass on through.
The spirit of Black Spire
Will forever change you."
- ―An old Batuuan ballad
Black Spire Outpost (BSO), commonly known as Black Spire, was an outpost on the planet Batuu on the edge of the Outer Rim Territories. It was one of the last stops before Wild Space and the Unknown Regions. The outpost was named for the giant black trees that towered it.
Black Spire Outpost was located on the planet Batuu in the Outer Rim Territories and was considered one of the last stops before Wild Space and the Unknown Regions. The outpost consisted of a spaceport, a cantina, and a market. Its population was around four to five hundred by the time of the Clone Wars.
- "You couldn't get from here to Black Spire without me, now you're going to make the Kessel Run? Ha!"
- ―L3-37, to Lando Calrissian
Before the invention of hyperspace travel, the outpost was a busy crossroads for those traveling along the old sub-lightspeed trade routes. However, with the rise of the hyperdrive and new hyperspace routes, the planet was bypassed, and the outpost eventually became home to those who did not want to be found. It evolved into a thriving spaceport for smugglers, rogue traders, and adventurers traveling between the galactic frontier and uncharted space. The port provided easy access to exotic supplies and potential new recruits, further enticing adventurers to stop by.
Though it was used as a hideout for those looking to avoid the expanding reaches of the First Order, there was both a Resistance and First Order presence by 34 ABY during the conflict between the two factions. A battle between the factions took place in the outpost. After the Battle of Crait, the Millennium Falcon landed there while involved in one of Hondo Ohnaka's endeavors. Ancient ruins just outside of the outpost housed a Resistance base around that same time. Eventually, Supreme Leader Kylo Ren arrived at the outpost and took command of the First Order garrison, having learned that Rey was with a group of Resistance fugitives on Batuu.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Walt Disney Company CEO Robert "Bob" Iger first announced at the D23 Expo on August 15, 2015 that the company would be building a Star Wars-themed land in Disneyland Park at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California and in Disney's Hollywood Studios at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. The announcement stated that these lands would be fourteen acres in size, making them the largest single land expansions in company history. The two attractions announced for the land included a ride that puts guests behind the controls of the Millennium Falcon and a ride that throws guests into the middle of a battle between the First Order and the Resistance. it was also announced that the lands' setting would be on a yet-to-be-seen planet on the edge of the Outer Rim Territories, just before Wild Space. During the Q1 FY17 Earnings call for The Walt Disney Company on February 7, 2017, Iger announced that the new lands would open in the year 2019. During the "Star Wars and Disney Parks: A Galaxy in the Making" panel at Celebration Orlando, Asa Kalama of Walt Disney Imagineering stated that what they were building would be canonical.
During Galactic Nights, a set of promotional trading cards were issued that gave some hints at what would be found on the attraction regarding Black Spire Outpost. On the front depicted certain scenes of what's likely to occur, such as an encounter with Kylo Ren, bargaining with Dok-Ondar, Hondo and Chewbacca agreeing to a deal, among others. On the back depicted part of a nine-panel map depicting the various locales of the outpost as well as some details about the specific locations. Eight of the cards also had a phrase in Aurebesh describing the location which, thanks to a Twitter user named Nick Tierce, was revealed to say in full "At the edge of the galaxy so far away, black was the spire that called me to stay, a beacon for drifters forgotten and lost, the spire summoned those broken and tossed, come stay here forever or just pass on through, the spirit of the black spire will forever change you".
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (First appearance)
- (First identified as Black Spire Outpost)
- Star Wars: Droidography
- Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Thrawn: Alliances
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
- ↑ https://twitter.com/WDWscope/status/1000962657707614208
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Johnson, Zach (February 27, 2018). Everything You Need to Know About Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. D23. Archived from the original on February 27, 2019. Retrieved on February 28, 2019.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire
- ↑ Pirate's Price
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3
- ↑ The timeline provided in Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide places Han Solo's Kessel Run nine years after the events of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. As that film takes place in 19 BBY, we can deduce that the mission to Kessel and the subsequent Kessel Run took place in 10 BBY.
- ↑ Solo: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ screenshot) (
- ↑ 12.0 12.1
- ↑ Flight of the Falcon promotional
- ↑ Inside the Magic (April 15, 2017). FULL Star Wars Land panel - New details, artwork revealed at Star Wars Celebration 2017. YouTube. Retrieved on April 18, 2017.
- ↑ Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Trading Cards Provide Map of Black Spire Outpost at BlogMickey.com