A black hole was a celestial phenomenon which was the result of a star experiencing a supernova. A black expanse, black holes contained a singularity and possessed immense gravity, devouring all available matter or accumulating it in a region known as its accretion disk. By 39 BBY, it was possible to take pictures of a black hole from a point just shy of its event horizon. Obi-Wan’s friend Jape sent Obi-Wan those images.
Shortly after the formation of the Galactic Empire, Lieutenant Commander Orson Krennic, accompanied by Mas Amedda and several others, traveled to a binary black hole formation known as the Hero Twins where they tested a prototype version of the superlaser that would eventually be installed on the Empire's planet-destroying battle station, the Death Star, by firing it at the deceased stars.
The Executor-class Star Dreadnought Arbitrator, while attempting to escape a New Republic fleet, accidentally input erroneous hyperspace coordinates into its navicomputer which caused it to exit hyperspace near a black hole, pulling the ship in and destroying it.
- Master & Apprentice (Mentioned only)
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (First appearance)
- Most Wanted (Mentioned only)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition (Mentioned only)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
- "Contingency Plan"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad (Mentioned only)
- Heir to the Jedi (First mentioned)
- Star Wars 45: Mutiny at Mon Cala, Part II (Mentioned only)
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi? (Mentioned only)
- Alphabet Squadron (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Empire's End (Mentioned only)
- Bloodline (Mentioned only)