- "Corrupt the kyber crystal. Teach it your pain. Teach it your anger. Hear it sing a hymn of darkness. Make it bleed."
- ―Darth Sidious, to Darth Vader
Bleeding was the process that a dark side adept used by way of the Force to bend a kyber crystal to their will. Any kyber crystal could be bled by a Force user, including one's own (for example, if they were a former light side practitioner and kept their lightsaber). However, some Sith believed that the proper method was to take a kyber crystal from a Jedi's lightsaber and bleed it.
The process was accomplished by the individual pouring rage, hate, fear and pain into the crystal via the Force until the crystal changed, resulting in the crimson-bladed lightsabers associated almost exclusively with dark side adepts. Since kyber crystals were inherently aligned with the light side of the Force, they usually attempted to resist the forced corruption; when Darth Vader first attempted to bleed the green crystal within Jedi Master Kirak Infil'a's lightsaber, he experienced intense light side Force visions which nearly drove him insane. Vader later traveled to Galen Erso's Office on Coruscant, where he found a stash of kyber crystals left behind by Galen Walton Erso, and bled them.
It was possible to "heal" the effects of bleeding on a kyber crystal by using the light side of the Force, thus changing the crystal's color again. Ahsoka Tano performed this on the Sixth Brother's lightsaber during an encounter with him, and in this case turning the crystals white.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 1 (Mentioned only)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 2 (Indirectly mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 3 (Indirectly mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 5 (First appearance)
- "Darth Vader and the Weapon of a Sith"—Galactic Adventures Storybook Collection (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Vader Annual 2
- Ahsoka (First mentioned)
- "Gaze of Stone"—Myths & Fables (Mentioned only) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force (First identified as Bleeding)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition