- "Allow me to present the return of the infamous Blue Shadow Virus."
"The Blue Shadow Virus?! I thought that deadly disease was extinct!"
- ―Doctor Nuvo Vindi and Padmé Amidala
The Blue Shadow Virus was a deadly disease that spread like a plague in the galaxy many years before the Clone Wars. Although the virus was eradicated, Doctor Nuvo Vindi of the Confederacy of Independent Systems re-engineered the virus on Naboo. He attempted to spread it across the planet, but was stopped by the Galactic Republic and Jedi Order.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
- "The Blue Shadow Virus in its natural form thrives only in water."
- ―Dr. Nuvo Vindi
The Blue Shadow Virus, in its natural form, was a waterborne virus. A victim infected with the plague only had 48 hours to live before the virus became fatal. It was notorious for being supposedly incurable, with a 96% success rate in killing carbon-based life-forms. An antidote was able to be synthesized with reeksa root, a rare plant only found on the planet Iego.
History[edit | edit source]
- "Your eyes do not deceive you. I have perfected an airborne strain of the Blue Shadow Virus."
- ―Dr. Nuvo Vindi
Several thousand years before the Clone Wars, the Blue Shadow Virus encompassed the galaxy, killing millions who drank the infected water. The virus was eventually eradicated, only to be reintroduced by Doctor Nuvo Vindi during the Clone Wars as part of the research effort of Jedi-proof biological weapons. Vindi created several bombs that held an airborne version of the virus, which he planned to release on several key systems that were involved in creating galaxy-wide war. Though the release of Vindi's bombs across the galaxy was stopped by the Jedi, some of the virus was released inside of Vindi's laboratory on the planet Naboo. This small amount of virus infected senator Padmé Amidala, Jedi Padawan Ahsoka Tano, and several clone troopers, but fortunately never left the confines of the lab. Two Jedi, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker, eventually discovered a way to make an antidote to the virus from the reeksa root, which they found on the planet Iego. After the Jedi obtained the root from Iego, an antidote was created and all who had been infected who were still alive were cured.
During a rebellion against the Galactic Empire conducted by the Rebel Alliance decades later, the virus was stated to have been weaponized multiple times in past wars. Major Capin Harinar of Rebel Alliance Intelligence Service's technology division wrote an analysis to General Davits Draven about Imperial weapons projects. The analysis detailed the Electro-Proton Bomb/Defoliator, the mega-ion cannon, and the Blue Shadow Virus. In regards to the virus, Harinar stated that the Alliance would be severely ill-prepared to guard against such a targeted pandemic. The analysis was part of a larger report from Draven to Commander-in-Chief Mon Mothma, summarizing Harinar's report and Colonel Haxen Delto's report.
At one point, schematics for harnessing the virus' deadly power were leaked. Though most factions condemned the use of the virus, some vicious groups chose to produce a strain of the virus in the form of grenades.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Blue Shadow Virus" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mystery of a Thousand Moons"
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 14 (Databank A-Z: Dengar–Domino Squad)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 25 (Databank A-Z: Hydroid Medusas–Imperial Academies)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition (Indirect mention only)
- Unlimited Power
- Gadgets and Gear
- "Naboo" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- ; image #14 (of 29)
- ; image #19 (of 29)