The Blue Shadow Virus was a devastating virus responsible of the Candorian plague that devastated the galaxy generations before the Clone Wars. The virus was later used in a biological weapons plot by the Confederacy of Independent Systems and the Galactic Empire.
- "The Blue Shadow Virus in its natural form thrives only in water."
- ―Dr. Nuvo Vindi
The Blue Shadow Virus was notorious for being able to affect every known species in the galaxy, was said to be completely fatal, and was supposedly incurable. It was a waterborne virus.
- "Your eyes do not deceive you. I have perfected an airborne strain of the Blue Shadow Virus."
- ―Dr. Nuvo Vindi
The virus ran rampant across the galaxy several generations before the Clone Wars. To the relief of the general public, it was eventually eradicated when the Galactic Republic enacted strict quarantines that contained the Blue Shadow Virus on affected worlds, preventing it from spreading until it eventually died out.
During the Clone Wars, a mentally unstable scientist, Dr. Nuvo Vindi, recreated the Blue Shadow Virus. When Jar Jar Binks and Padmé Amidala were captured, he claimed the virus was not eradicated, but murdered. He also claimed he had recreated life: the life of the virus. Though the virus originally spread through water and killed certain species instantly, Vindi was able to create an airborne version. The airborne strain's incubation period was longer than the waterborne varieties. Respiratory symptoms preceded death.
Jar Jar and Padmé tried to convince Vindi of the danger of releasing the virus, but he refused to listen and attempted to release the virus anyway. However, a detachment of the 501st Legion was dispatched, and the laboratory was successfully secured. However, Vindi's servant droid LEP-86C8 was soon able to detonate one remaining bomb, infecting Padmé, Ahsoka Tano, Rex and many clone troopers. Before the virus could kill everyone trapped in the laboratory, Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi were able to find the cure: the Reeksa root. After obtaining enough of the root from Iego, all the infected were cured.
Behind the scenes
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Blue Shadow Virus" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mystery of a Thousand Moons"
- "Galaxywide NewsNets" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 5 (Retcon) (First mentioned after retcon)
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Visual Guide Ultimate Battles
- The Essential Atlas
- Galaxy of Intrigue
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season One
- "100 and Counting" – Star Wars Insider 139