Boomas, also known as boomers, energy balls, or Gungan grenades, were spherical, grenade-like energy weapons used by the Gungans. They were manufactured by the Otoh Gunga Defense League with the exotic plasma that was naturally present in the porous crust of Naboo, They came in different sizes, and could be thrown by hand, sling, atlatl, cesta or falumpaset-towed catapult. Boomas were used by the Gungan Grand Army, notably during the Battle of Naboo.
Behind the scenes
Boomers first appeared in the 1999 movie Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, the first installment in the prequel trilogy of Star Wars. Industrial Light & Magic created them using the Sabre digital compositing system, which was also used to give the Gungan energy shield its glow, and illuminate the lightsaber blades of the Jedi.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Gungan Attack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow Warrior"
- Darth Vader (2020) 4
- Bounty Hunters 13 (First identified as Gungan grenade)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Nexus of Power
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 7 (Databank A-Z: Bongo–Bowcaster)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 13 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Gungan Grand Army)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 22 (Databank A-Z: Gungans–Rako Hardeen) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z (as energy ball)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Rise of the Separatists (Picture only)
- "Melee and Ranged Weapons" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy