The Boonta Eve Classic, Boonta Eve Podrace, or Boonta Eve Classic Podrace was an annual podrace on Tatooine, held in and around the Grand Arena in Mos Espa. The event was held by the Hutt Clan to commemorate the holiday Boonta Eve, and was recorded by numerous Hologlide J57 cam droids. One such race, held at the same time as the Trade Federation's invasion of the planet Naboo, was presided over by Jabba the Hutt. This race was attacked by Orr'UrRuuR'R and his tribe, who fired at the racers with their slugthrowers, and the winner of that race was Anakin Skywalker, who finished in 15 minutes and 42 seconds. Of the 18 participants, 66% did not finish, as only 6 racers did.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
According to concept artist Doug Chiang, director George Lucas wanted a recognizable but distinct terrain for the race, reason for which Chiang and the production crew mixed and condensed real locations and exaggerated the scale to add that 20% extra terrain that made it unique. Topo maps were made so Lucas could establish the route and configure canyons and plateaus which could constitute into recognizable landmarks. With such map, they timed the race to see how many laps could be completed in eight minutes at speeds of more than 900 kilometers per hour in order to determine the length of the course. Afterwards, they added obstacles in the most quieter sections, while others were simplified in areas of greater visual clarity.
In the audio commentary on the Episode I DVD, visual effects supervisor John Knoll points out that in a shot of the scene of Sebulba riding just behind Anakin Skywalker, with Anakin's head nearly in the connecting current between the pod engines, it's possible to see that Sebulba isn't present in his pod.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Queen's Peril (Indirect mention only)
- Queen's Peril audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- The Phantom Menace Golden Book
- The Phantom Menace Read-Along Storybook and CD
- 5-Minute Star Wars Stories
- 5-Minute Star Wars Stories Strike Back (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Choose Your Destiny: A Podracer Mission
- Queen's Shadow (Indirect mention only)
- Queen's Shadow audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- "Ion Control"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Resistance – "The High Tower" (On poster)
- Force Collector (Vision to Karr Nuq Sin)
- Star Wars Resistance – "Hunt on Celsor 3" (On poster)
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (Appears in flashback(s))
- The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, which includes the Boonta Eve Classic, to 32 BBY.
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace DVD audio commentary