- "Oh, man. Maybe I did use a little too much Boontaspice."
- ―Lando Calrissian
Boontaspice was a type of spice used in cooking. It was a key ingredient in the foul-smelling Giju stew, although not even Boontaspice could mask the dish's odor. The restaurant Dex's Diner served Boontaspiced mustard on the planet Coruscant before its closure early during the reign of the Galactic Empire. Lando Calrissian once tried to make Giju stew during the Galactic Civil War but found to his revulsion that he had used too much Boontaspice.
Description[edit | edit source]
Boontaspice was a type of cooking spice. It was edible to both Besalisks and Humans, but too much of it could cause an adverse taste reaction in the latter species. Boontaspice shared its name with Boonta, a planet located near Hutt Space in the Outer Rim Territories.
History[edit | edit source]
- "Piled high with two patties, triple cheese, deep-fried Tapani triangles, mega-leaf lettuce, a slice of algae-bread, Boontaspiced mustard […] it's just the thing to satisfy a Herglic-sized hunger."
- ―Dex's Diner menu description for the Giju slider
Boontaspice was the namesake additive of Boontaspiced mustard, a meal component served at the restaurant Dex's Diner on the planet Coruscant prior to the eatery's destruction within the first two years of the Galactic Empire's reign. The Besalisk chef Dexter Jettster, the restaurant's proprietor, used Boontaspiced mustard in two dishes on his menu, the Giju slider and the gartro egg salad sandwich.
Giju stew was a dish best made with a bit of Boontaspice, but even it could not mask the stew's foul odor. In the months following the Battle of Hoth, Rebel Alliance agent Lando Calrissian once tried to prepare Giju stew for himself and his friends Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa, and the Wookiee Chewbacca while aboard the starship Millennium Falcon. To his great distaste, Calrissian used too much Boontaspice in his recipe and decided to scrap the stew and eat something else.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Boontaspice first appeared in the May 1996 novel Shadows of the Empire, written by Steve Perry. Its name references Boonta, a planet originating in the 1980s animated television series Star Wars: Droids. The 2009 StarWars.com Hyperspace article "Dining at Dex's," written by Gregory Walker as an in-universe menu, later created Boontaspiced mustard as a variation of Boontaspice.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Shadows of the Empire novel
- "Dining at Dex's" establishes that the Besalisk Dexter Jettster filled his menu with the foods that he enjoyed eating the most during his travels to different planets.
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 340 ("giju stew")
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 85 ("Boonta")
- The Essential Atlas
- The Last of the Jedi: Underworld, which The Essential Reader's Companion dates to around 18 BBY, establishes that Dex's Diner was destroyed by the Galactic Empire. The New Essential Chronology dates the Empire's formation to 19 BBY, so Dex's Diner was destroyed either during 19 BBY or 18 BBY.