- "Piled high with two patties, triple cheese, deep-fried Tapani triangles, mega-leaf lettuce, a slice of algae-bread, Boontaspiced mustard […] it's just the thing to satisfy a Herglic-sized hunger."
- ―Dex's Diner menu description for the Giju slider
Boontaspiced mustard was a type of mustard flavored with Boontaspice. It was edible to members of the Besalisk species. Boontaspiced mustard shared its name with Boonta, a planet in the Outer Rim Territories located near Hutt Space.
Dex's Diner, a restaurant on the planet Coruscant, served Boontaspiced mustard prior to the establishment's destruction within the first two years of the Galactic Empire's reign. The eatery's proprietor, a Besalisk chef named Dexter Jettster, used Boontaspiced mustard in two dishes on his menu, the Giju slider and the gartro egg salad sandwich.
Behind the scenes
Boontaspiced mustard was created for the 2009 StarWars.com Hyperspace article "Dining at Dex's," written by Gregory Walker as an in-universe menu. Boontaspiced mustard is derived from Boontaspice, which appeared in the 1996 novel Shadows of the Empire, written by Steve Perry. The name "Boonta" references a planet originating in the 1980s animated television series Star Wars: Droids.
- (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- "Dining at Dex's" establishes that the Besalisk Dexter Jettster filled his menu with the foods that he enjoyed eating the most during his travels to different planets.
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 85 ("Boonta")
- The Essential Atlas
- The Last of the Jedi: Underworld, which The Essential Reader's Companion dates to around 18 BBY, establishes that Dex's Diner was destroyed by the Galactic Empire. The New Essential Chronology dates the Empire's formation to 19 BBY, so Dex's Diner was destroyed either during 19 BBY or 18 BBY.
- Shadows of the Empire novel