- "I like this thing."
- ―Han Solo, after trying Chewbacca's bowcaster on Takodana
Through the use of magnetic acceleration, bowcasters were more powerful and accurate than the average blaster. Designs differed through the materials used and the creator's artistic approach, although the end result was visually similar to a crossbow-like weapon.
The weapon used metal quarrels enveloped with plasma energy as ammunition. Two polarizing orbs, balanced on each end of the bow, created a magnetic field that boosted the quarrel's momentum. Once the cocking spring was pulled back, the trigger fired the quarrel, which was enveloped in plasma energy.
The last (known) bowcaster to be crafted by Chewbacca, a Wookiee warrior and Rebel hero, was created during Galactic Empire era. Chewbacca unconventionally crafted the weapon using the frame and power pack of a standard stormtrooper blaster; additionally, Chewbacca also fitted it with an automatic cocking system, a feature traditional models of the time lacked.
Bowcasters were much more powerful than standard blaster rifles, but also much heavier, meaning few humans were capable of carrying one around, let alone hold it level and steady for a precise shot. To fire comfortably, the strength of a Wookiee was required. However, this statistic was challenged by Han Solo on numerous occasions during the cold war, in which he became fond of the weapon.
Bowcasters were based on ancient weapons from Wookiee history that fired poisoned darts and arrows. During the Clone Wars, the bounty hunter Embo used a bowcaster as his favored weapon. At the end of the war, bowcasters were also used in the Battle of Kashyyyk. Chewbacca crafted several of them over time.
During a skirmish on board the Eravana and later in a battle on Takodana, Han Solo used Chewbacca's current bowcaster, which he quickly came to enjoy firing due to it's strong firepower. After Solo was killed during the Battle of Starkiller Base by his son, Kylo Ren, Chewbacca fired at Ren in anger, shooting his bowcaster with the intention of killing the dark side adept. Nevertheless, Ren managed to survive being hit.
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- LEGO Star Wars: The Resistance Rises – "The Trouble with Rathtars"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Notes and references
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Gadgets and Gear
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty Hunters"
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition