The Bravaisians were a short, long-snouted sentient species that were native to Bravais. They had a dexterous tongue that they often used instead of their fingers. They are nocturnal, avoiding the intense heat of their homeworld during the day to protect their small sensitive eyes. When offworld, most Bravaisians wear goggles to protect their eyes. They also developed from a precursor species. Munduri and Sonsigo were two Bravaisians who were frequent sights at the castle of Maz Kanata.
Biology and appearanceEdit
Bravaisians were a humanoid sentient species that stood at a diminutive height, and had blue, leathery skin and two arms that ended in four digits. They had snouts that faded to pink at their end. These snouts contained a prehensile tongue as dexterous as their fingers. Bravaisians alternated between using their fingers and their tongues.
Bravaisians were nocturnal, due to the intense heat and lack of life on Bravais during the day, so had small eyes that could easily be overwhelmed by light. For this reason, most Bravaisians outside Bravais were rarely seen without protective goggles. Some even had their eyes surgically removed to combat this problem.
Society and cultureEdit
Bravaisians could make a squawking sound if disturbed. Due to them being nocturnal, Bravaisians viewed other species' insistence on doing business during daylight hours with a mix of pity and contempt.
Bravaisians evolved from pack hunters, that used their tough, flexible snouts to dig through soil and dirt in order to find their prey, which were tubers and nests of insects. They would then suck up these with their long muscular tongues.
Bravaisians in the galaxyEdit
Sonsigo and Munduri were two Bravaisian podmates who were frequent visitors to Kanata's castle. There, they would buy glittering gems and precious metals, and they would offer top prices for them. The pair were careful in the appraisal of their wares, which was a process that could involve using their tongues, fingers and an electro refractometer. They were both present at Kanata's Castle when the Astromech droid BB-8, carrying a portion of a map that led to Luke Skywalker, arrived at the castle along with the smuggler Han Solo, former stormtrooper Finn and scavenger Rey.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "They have a great charm about them because they rely very much on the skills of hand puppetry, and they bring a very different life to them than a character that's worn on someone's head."
- ―Neal Scanlan discusses the Sonsigo and Munduri puppets in the "Creating Creatures" featurette
Bravaisians were created for the Takodana sequence of the film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, but were first mentioned in "The Face of Evil", a short story by Landry Q. Walker, which was released on December 1, 2015
For The Force Awakens, Sonsigo and Munduri were both hand puppets, controlled by their performers from underneath the bench the characters sat on. The performer responsible for Sonsigo was Olly Taylor, and Damian Farrell was responsible for Munduri. Both men were creature and droid performers. During the production of the film, Munduri and Sonsigo were known as "snooty pirates".
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- "The Face of Evil"—Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens: Volume I(First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Graphic Novel Adaptation
- The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Star Wars: Alien Archive
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- ↑ Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "The Face of Evil"—Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens: Volume I
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens