- "Still your breathing, let the trace amounts of air in your lungs hold you. The Force can sustain you... listen to it."
Using the Force power breath control, a Jedi could literally numb the body's instinct to shut itself down after long periods without oxygen, allowing the user to be able to go without breathing for longer periods than he or she ordinarily could by using the Force to reserve the amounts of air in the lungs. It was believed that some users of the technique could hold their breath for hours or even days with this power. This ability used independently, however, would not prevent anything entering or leaving the respiratory system of the user. In some cases, the user would require some kind of Force barrier in, or around the nose/throat region to keep poisonous gases or water out. The necessity of such a barrier would depend on the air/water pressure in the direct vicinity, and the user's ability to naturally seal their airways. This was a very effective ability in situations where the air was very thin, underwater, or in any environment with toxic fumes.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Meetra Surik, having learned this power from Kreia, used it to negate the poisonous gases in the Jekk'Jekk Tarr bar on Nar Shaddaa. At the time of the Invasion of Naboo, Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi appeared to use this power for a short time when the Trade Federation attempted to poison them by flooding the room they were in with Dioxis. In 19 ABY, Luke Skywalker used the power when he thought a group of pirates were pumping gas into a room, while they were actually pumping air out. He also used it alongside his wife when they helped put out a fire on the Chaf Envoy. Jaina Solo used it when the Galactic Alliance Guard attempted to gas her and her mother in a speeder. Solo mused that while she could breathe for long amounts of time in space using the power, it was more difficult to use the power while trying to survive gas, as oxygen was just inches away, while in space, her mind understood that there was no oxygen.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Jedi Apprentice: The Ties That Bind
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Jedi Quest: The Moment of Truth
- Specter of the Past (First appearance)
- Survivor's Quest (First identified as Breath Control)
- Legacy of the Force: Invincible
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Tales of the Jedi Companion (as control breathing)
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised (as control breathing)
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide