She was the daughter of politician and master combatant Yusanis, who fought in the Mandalorian Wars alongside her mother, Jedi Master Arren Kae. According to Kreia, Brianna was the result of a forbidden love affair between the two:
- "I knew her mother. She was a Jedi Knight — a master, named Arren Kae. Jedi are forbidden to have children, and when the crime finally came to light almost a decade later, Kae was exiled. She joined the Mandalorian Wars after the shame of her birth was revealed."
Following this revelation Brianna and her sisters were brought under service to Jedi Master Atris, which is why they were all called handmaidens. The offspring of Echani parents were typically identical in appearance, presumably favoring the physical characteristics of their parent of the same sex. Because of this Brianna looked different from the other handmaidens, taking the genetic characteristics of her Jedi mother, Arren. Her father's infidelity had brought shame on himself, and after his death that shame was thrust upon her as well.
The Echani believed that things like betrayal were passed down through bloodlines. Despite Brianna working hard to disprove this stigma that followed her all through her young life, her sisters still branded her the "Last of the Handmaidens", meaning she was the least of them, in terms of worth and combat ability.
Serving as an agent and spy for Atris, Brianna snuck onto Citadel Station and stole the Ebon Hawk even while it was still quarantined by the Telos Security Force, bringing it back to the hidden enclave. When the Jedi Exile, along with Kreia and Atton Rand tracked it down and entered the academy Brianna, flanked by two of her sisters, advanced on the trio and demanded their surrender. The Exile reluctantly agreed so as to avoid a conflict at Kreia's request, and she escorted the Exile to meet with Atris.
After the changed exchange between them, the Exile left. Brianna was startled to have seen her Mistress become so volatile, strengthening her growing belief that the Jedi were not the passionless beings Atris said they were and pretended to be.
Before departing Telos, Brianna was able to speak to the Exile in private. She confessed that she was the only one of her sisters who didn't doubt the Exile's battle prowess and that she was often distracted by the Jedi teachings Atris had rescued and stored at the academy. She also informed the Exile that she always trained to better herself. Before they parted ways, Brianna asked what it was like to feel the Force, in an effort to better understand the mother she had never known.
Behind the scenes
The Handmaiden is a non-player character in the computer and video game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. She is only available to join the player's party if the main character is male, though she appears in cutscenes on Telos regardless of the player's gender. Female Exiles are eventually joined by Mical, "the Disciple", instead.
Playing as a male Exile
While this was the last Brianna was seen in her video game appearance for the female player, her story did not end here if the player was male. The exact events during this time has yet to be completely canonized, thus it is possible that some of the following that only applied to the non-canon male Exile may also have happened in the "true" story as well.
After the Ebon Hawk departed Atris' hidden enclave on Telos, the Exile and the crew witnessed a secret recording of the Exile's trial, and a shady conversation between the Master's afterwards, which was taken by T3 when Atris attempted to forcibly download his data. Brianna surprised the crew by suddenly storming into the room, indignantly accusing them of stealing Atris' records. She then revealed that she had come to aid the Exile's search for the missing Jedi, by order of her Mistress Atris. The crew was hesitant at first about accepting an obvious spy into their group, but Brianna was adamant about staying, and since she would not divulge the codes to disable the security around the hidden enclave, it was impossible for the Exile to return her. The Jedi Exile ended the debate among the crew by welcoming her, and she added her impressive Echani combat skills to the group's already diverse talents.
At this point however, Brianna was still wary of the Jedi Exile, as Atris had warned her not to trust them. She secluded herself inside the cargo bay so that she could hone her fighting style, while keeping herself separate from the unsavory crew. Eventually the Jedi Exile attempted to know her; she didn't trust the Exile at first, but through acts of kindness and charity during their journey, Brianna finally believed that Atris had been wrong in her judgments.
At some point the Exile asked Brianna to teach her Echani fighting techniques, and over the course of their journey they sparred three times, each time learning more about each other and became closer. During that time the Exile challenged her traditions about sparring without clothes, and she conceded that bulkier clothes would be more practical. She surprised the Exile by then changing into a heavy set of grayed robes, the style associated with a Jedi Master. When asked, she finally revealed that they were the last keepsake of her mother that she had never known, the exiled Jedi Master Arren Kae. She opened up to the Exile and revealed the story of her past, but she asked that it be kept secret from the rest of the crew, as she had come to trust the Exile over everyone else.
Unexpectedly, after their private discussion, the Exile was approached by Kreia. She was wary that the Exile was growing too close to Atris' servant, and then revealed that she knew her mother Kae as well. Kreia speculated that because Kae had been strong in the Force, that the potential to become a Jedi also lied within her daughter. Kreia discouraged the Exile from training her as a Jedi, because it would mean breaking her oath to Atris to not learn the ways of the Jedi. However after reading between Kreia's words the Exile realized that one did not need to learn the ways of the Jedi to learn about the Force.
After their third sparring session, Brianna stopped their training because she had nothing left to teach the Exile. The Exile then revealed to Brianna that she, like her mother, was strong with the Force, and that she could be taught to use it. Brianna was hesitant at first, but when faced with this revelation she finally confessed that it had always been her wish to learn the ways of the Jedi, to understand the Force, and discover what had made her parents turn away from their own oaths to be together. In that moment, Brianna renounced her oath and pledged herself to the Exile's training and service, for as long as they would be together.
As they traveled and fought together, Brianna learned to integrate her Echani training with her new Force training, to become a very skilled and powerful Jedi Guardian. When their journey was almost done she accompanied the Exile and Kreia to the ruins of the Jedi Enclave on Dantooine, for the Exile to meet and align with the remaining Masters. However when Kreia surprisingly slew all three masters with the dark side of the Force and left the Exile supposedly dead, her anger overwhelmed her judgment and she stole a shuttle to take Kreia before Atris, for she knew that she would execute any Sith.
However this turned out to play into Kreia's hands; once inside the hidden enclave Kreia spoke to Atris alone, and Brianna was suddenly confronted by her five sisters. They accused her of breaking her oath by abandoning them and becoming corrupted by the dark side and the Exile's training. Brianna realized then too late that Atris had betrayed her and lied about her mission to her sisters, but she could not convince them of the truth. The five handmaidens surrounded her and pronounced a judgment of death on her, and despite her pleas she was forced to do battle with them all. Against her wishes, she finally proved she was the “Last of the Handmaidens” no longer, when she single-handedly defeated them all.
Moments later, Brianna was bewildered to see Atris enter the room amidst the fallen bodies and feign concern for her. Hurt and confused, Brianna asked that she explain herself, and then the corrupted Jedi showed her true intentions and attacked her. The two of them did battle in the council chamber, and despite her ever-growing combat skills, Brianna was outmatched by the veteran Jedi. Atris quickly lost her temper and put an end to the duel, unexpectedly drawing upon the dark side and unleashing the powerful Sith technique, Force Lightning. She was unprepared and thrown to her knees after one hit, but the spiteful Atris continued to torture her with blast after blast, jealous over her closeness to the Exile and accusing her as Brianna laid writhing in agony. Rendered hurt and helpless, it seemed Atris was going to finish her off, when suddenly the Jedi Exile appeared at the last second, and challenged Atris to fight and leave Brianna alone. Only further angered by the Exile's display of concern, she struck Brianna one last time with lightning and left her for dead before retreating to her chamber to do battle with the Exile.
After the Exile dueled with Atris, Brianna surprisingly managed to survive the vicious assault, and now without the oath to her sisters or her mistress to hold her there, she once again pledged herself to the Exile in gratitude. This time she would never let the stigma of her family hold her back from following her heart again. She renounced her title as Last of the Handmaidens, and accepted her true identity for the first time, as well as her name (which up to this point, she had kept secret even from the Exile.)
Their alliance would be short lived however; soon afterwards the forces of Darth Nihilus and his Sith armada attacked the planet, and they would be separated when the Exile invaded his ship, and she stayed behind. Though it is likely that the close friends would never meet again as the Jedi Exile followed Revan's path into the unknown regions, before her death Kreia looked into the future and revealed that Brianna would leave battle behind her forever as her father had done. Instead she would play a pivotal role in rebuilding the new Jedi order, taking Atris' place as chronicler and historian of Jedi lore, and that for as long as she lived she would teach young Padawans about the Jedi who gave up the Force, and became better for it.
- In an earlier version of the game, Brianna was originally meant to join the Jedi Exile regardless of gender, so long as the Exile was light-sided (aark sided players would have gotten Visas Marr instead).
- If Brianna joins the Exile and then falls to the dark side, Darth Traya predicts that she will stop looking up to the Jedi and give herself to battle completely. She abandons her Force training and instead will punish the Jedi for being too emotional.
- Should Brianna fall to the dark side, she also replaces her pure white clothing with a similar looking garment that is completely black and fastened with leather.
- Brianna had a couple of scenes that were eventually cut out of the game.
- If the player had more influence with Visas Marr than the Handmaiden, or the PC was dark-sided, then Brianna would attack Visas in the Trayus Academy on Malachor V.
- Should the PC have more influence with Brianna then Visas, then the PC will leave her in the Trayus Core to wait for others to teach them.
- Like Mira, Atton, and Visas, she would be one of the members to attack Kreia at Malachor V only to be defeated and imprisoned by Darth Sion.
- She was voiced by Grey DeLisle, who also voiced Padmé Amidala, Asajj Ventress and Shaak Ti in the Star Wars: Clone Wars cartoon.
- Brianna was intended to fight her sisters in the Telos Academy, either to kill them or to stun them, letting them live. In the official release, when her sisters act hostile and it appears a fight is about to begin, the scene instead fades to black, fading back in later to show all the handmaidens save Brianna prone on the ground.
- There is a scene in Nar Shaddaa, where Brianna and the Exile meet Vogga the Hutt's Twi'lek Domo. He asks a small service from her as Vogga's exotic dancer. If Exile agrees, Brianna volunteers herself to dance for Vogga, since she doesn't see much difference between dancing and training in her under garments. She wears a red, skimpy bikini-like harem outfit, that is similar to the slave outfit worn by Princess Leia.
- Despite numerous in-game references to Brianna looking different from her sisters, and "honoring the face of her mother," Brianna's character model is identical to her five sisters.
- A misprint in Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide has a picture of Atris labeled as Brianna.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (First appearance)