The Brotherhood of Darkness, also known as the Sith Brotherhood, the Sith Empire, or the Sith army, was an army of the Sith in which the Sith Lord Darth Bane served during the dark age of the Old Republic, a thousand years before the Clone Wars. While serving in the Sith army, Bane realized that infighting and greed from other dark side warriors created a weakness. The Brotherhood fought against the Jedi Order in a series of crusades against the Army of Light. The infighting eventually led to the defeat of their dark side order, as the Jedi Order was able to all but destroy the weakened Sith.
Description[edit | edit source]
The Brotherhood of Darkness, also named the Sith Brotherhood, Sith Empire, or Sith army, was an empire of the Sith. It consisted of many warriors of the Sith including the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Bane. The empire was active on the planet Auratera until its demise.
History[edit | edit source]
A millennium before the Galactic Civil War, the Brotherhood of Darkness, rose to power, becoming an empire of the Sith. The empire was active on the planet Auratera during this time, and the Sith eventually participated in the Jedi-Sith War in 1032 BBY against the Jedi Order. During the war, the greed of the Sith eventually resulted in infighting, allowing the Jedi and the Galactic Republic to defeat the Empire, becoming the last empire of the Sith at the time. The inhabitants who lived on Auratera coordinated with the Jedi to secretly alter official Republic records to misclassify the system as uninhabitable. As such, the inhabitants and the planet became nearly closed off to the rest of the galaxy, and eventually cut ties with the few remaining trading partners that they had when the Sith Empire fell.
Darth Bane was the sole survivor of the Brotherhood, and established the Rule of Two which served as a doctrine for the surviving Sith for the next thousand years. Eventually, the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious, who followed the Rule of Two, destroyed the Republic from within during the Clone Wars after becoming Supreme Chancellor and commenced the Great Jedi Purge that destroyed most of the Jedi Order. The Galactic Empire rose from the Republic, cementing Sith rule throughout the galaxy.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Sith army was first mentioned in Star Wars canon in Star Wars Helmet Collection 28. In Star Wars Legends, the army was identified as the Brotherhood of Darkness. The Brotherhood was mentioned in a datascreen in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode "Cat and Mouse," though Lucasfilm Story Group member Matt Martin has stated he would consider it more of an easter egg.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse" (Non-canonical mention) (Mentioned in datascreen)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice" (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 28 (Databank A-Z: Queen Jamillia–Jedi Temples) (First mentioned)
- Nexus of Power (First identified as Sith Empire)
- Endless Vigil (First identified as Brotherhood of Darkness)
- Star Wars: The Dark Side (First identified as Sith army)
- The Star Wars Book
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Dark Side establishes that Darth Bane served in the Sith army during the Jedi-Sith War, which Star Wars Helmet Collection 28 (Databank A-Z: Queen Jamillia–Jedi Temples) identifies as the Sith Brotherhood and is alternatively named as the Brotherhood of Darkness per Endless Vigil. The Star Wars Book identifies the brotherhood as the Sith Empire, while Nexus of Power also establishes that it is a Sith Empire which was active on Auretara until its collapse.
- Star Wars: The Dark Side
- Endless Vigil
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 28
- The Star Wars Book
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy places the Jedi-Sith War to the fall of the Old Republic.
- Nexus of Power
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith'
- Dark Forces: Rebel Agent
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse"