The Bureau of Ships and Services (abbreviated as BoSS), also known as the Imperial Bureau of Ships and Services (IBSS) during the reign of the Galactic Empire, was an organization founded millennia before the Clone Wars that maintained a registry of starship transponders and pilot's licenses. While formally a private agency, it had private contact with the Galactic Republic and worked alongside customs and law enforcement agencies to maintain and protect the hyperspace routes.
During the Imperial Era, Han Solo registered himself as captain of the Graphite Skipper, actually the Millennium Falcon. He also registered himself under the alias Roaky Laamu as captain of the Sunfighter Franchise.
The Bureau of Ships and Services listed that the first owner of the Libertine was Valis of Kuhlvult, a Kuati diplomat, who had christened the vessel as the Steadfast. Eventually, the Steadfast was renamed as the Libertine and was owned by Korfé Bennux-Ai, an individual born into wealth on Celanon and a top-ranking manager for the Sienar-Jaemus corporation. In 34 ABY, the Libertine was stolen by DJ, an unprincipled criminal and slicer, and used by Rose Tico, Finn, and BB-8.
Behind the scenes
In an interview, Alden Ehrenreich talked about research he did for his role as Han Solo in Solo: A Star Wars Story, and mentioned that he read articles on Wookieepedia, taking note of the Bureau of Ships and Services among others.
- Rey's Survival Guide (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 36 (Guide to the Galaxy: The Deep Core)
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 42 (Starship Fact File: YT-2000 Light Freighter)
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 56 (Secrets of Spaceflight: Starship Transponders)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- The Last Jedi: Bomber Command
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide (First identified as Imperial Bureau of Ships and Services)
- YT-1300 Millennium Falcon Owners' Workshop Manual
- Rise of the Separatists
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary