- "I am one who has seen bursa-baiting on Ohma-D'un and monster fights on Geonosis, and a true sportsman can always recognize the killer instinct."
- ―Tyro Viveda
The bursa was a type of animal. On at least one occasion, the hunter Tyro Viveca watched bursa-baiting on Ohma-D'un, a moon of the planet Naboo. During the Imperial Era, Viveca wrote about that and watching monster fights on the world Geonosis in the book known as the Smuggler's Guide, which he had owned and lost by 10 BBY.
Behind the scenes
Bursas were first mentioned in the new Star Wars canon in the 2018 reference book Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide, which was written by Daniel Wallace. Bursas originated in the Star Wars Legends continuity, where they were bear-like creatures from Naboo originally designed by Robin Pronovost for the reference book The Essential Guide to Episode I, which was to be written by Wallace.
Wallace had requested that Pronovost design the creatures after finding a reference from director George Lucas that stated that the Gungans maintained an Gungan Grand Army due to past conflict with bear-like creatures. The Essential Guide was ultimately cancelled, but Pronovost's design for the creatures were used in the video game Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds and the reference book The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide, both released in 2001.
- Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide
- Rise of the Separatists
- The entry in Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide mentioning the bursas is placed chronologically prior to an entry written by the criminal Tobias Beckett. Solo: A Star Wars Story depicts Beckett's death on the planet Savareen, and Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide dates the events on Savareen in the film to nine years after the proclamation of the New Order. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the proclamation to 19 BBY, Beckett's death must occur in 10 BBY, and so his entry in the guide and those chronologically before it must all be set prior to or during 10 BBY.
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide