- «Hi B6, I'm C9-78. My master has given me a day to travel outside of Black Spire and I'm hoping to find someone to travel with me.»
- ―C9-78 calls into Droid Station Frequency 3-7-6-4-3-7[src]
C9-78 was a C-series astromech droid manufactured by Industrial Automaton. By 34 ABY, the droid had resided in Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu for some time, but had never left the outpost.
After C9-78's navigation computer was updated, its master gave it a day to leave the outpost, and in hopes of finding someone who could help it navigate the area and find the coolest locations, the droid called in to the radio show Droid Station Frequency 3-7-6-4-3-7 on station BSO 401.72. In binary, it informed the host, B6-24 of its desire for a travel companion, stating that it had never visited the Surabat River Valley but had heard it was beautiful. B6-24 confirmed that the area was lovely up close and asked C9-78 a little about itself before wishing the droid luck. C9-78 thanked B6-24 and ended the call.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
C9-78 was created for the themed land Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, which opened to guests at Disneyland Park and Disney's Hollywood Studios Park in 2019. The droid can be heard speaking in binary on the land's background radio loop, with a translation of what it is saying available from staff.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia states that C-series droids are astromech droids and that all astromech droids are second class droids. Furthermore, Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition establishes C-series droids are manufactured by Industrial Automaton. As Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge—BSO 401.72 establishes that C9-78 is a C-series droid, these characteristics must also apply to it.
- BSO 401.72 has official backstory elements that, while not directly published for the public, are officially canon details that can be obtained verbally from cast members working in the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge themed land.
- The Star Wars Book dates the Battle of Batuu, which is depicted in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge via the attraction Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, to 34 years after Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of A New Hope to 0 BBY, therefore the events of Galaxy's Edge, including C9-78's appearance, must take place in 34 ABY.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge—BSO 401.72